Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gramatical Error In Guild Banner (Oh No!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this shocking?
  My goodness, yes!
  Who cares!
View Results

Kuo51

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:35 am
I was just now sent a PM from someone about my signature. The contents of it shocked me! eek I have the Guild's banner in it as do many of you. I put it in there last night switching from "Get Smart." [The TV show is much better than the new movie.] But I digress. The sender is obviously a whiz at the English language to have spotted something like this. To get to the point there is a grammatical error in our animated banner. It currently reads:

"For your sanity and mine, Type out your own DAMN words." scream

This anonymous benefactor [who I've invited to join the Guild by the way] has pointed out that the word type is incorrectly capitalized. Only a proper noun can be capitalized when placed after a comma. So the correct way for the sentence to be written would be:

"For your sanity and mine, type out your own DAMN words." scream  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:59 am
This..

What..

How.. can -anyone- here possibly miss that?!

Oh wait, I see. It comes in a different screen.

Meh. That's not so bad.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Psychotic Daizy Dukes

O.G. Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:23 am
Oh my...

I assume, that because if appears in another screen, it was thought as alright. Well, the good thing is that someone caught it, otherwise we'd be hypocrites, I suppose... At least... I hope s/he was polite in pointing this out, right?

Oh, please, tell me that the person was polite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:12 pm
The PM kind of had more of a "smarty pants" tone. It wasn't what you would call mean, though.  

Kuo51

The Cake Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:00 am
Wow, I wonder how we all missed that. Now that you point it out it seems so obvious.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:07 pm
eek WOW....

I never noticed that....  

angelswolf121

Partying Codger

8,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100

Satin Kiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:20 am
I suppose it's because every screen had the first letter capitalized, but then, every other screen except the one preceding the "Type out..." screen ends in a period. That person was just trying to be a smarty-pants. That's nit-picky.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 pm
If you really want to get technical, the phrase "and mine" should be treated as a dependent phrase, placed between two commas, to signify that it can be removed from the sentence, without damaging the structure... of course, that is only if you wish to get truly technical.  

Isadorana

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 pm
I would say that if everything was in a single sentence, and not broken up like that, then it would be more of a big deal. After all, if you only look at that one part and miss the rest of the banner's message (which I have done), then it would seem incorrect if you read it as "type out your DAMN words." It's like when you capitalize the first letter of every line in a poem. In any case, I think what we have now is fine. (Also, you've inserted the word "own" when our banner doesn't have it. *points to the signature* Read it carefully.)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games