Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.
Hot Gimmick

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:54 pm
User Image
1 :: Story
2 :: Creator
3 :: Viz Shojo Edition Volumes
4 :: VIZBIG Edition Volumes
5 :: Novel :: Hot Gimmick S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 pm
Story

In company-owned rabbit-hutch apartments live tenants who can't afford to live anywhere else, and the apartment complex in which high-school girl Hatsumi Narita lives is ruled over by the rumor mongering, self-righteous Mrs. Tachibana. Get on Tachibana's bad side, and life becomes hell.

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 pm
Creator

Manga
Miki Aihara is a Gemini born on June 10 in Shizuoka Prefecture. Her blood type is A. She made her debut in 1991 with Lip Conscious!, published in Bessatsu Shojo Comic. Her hobbies are watching various kinds of movies and shopping for clothes. Currently she is a major contributor to Betsucomi. Her published comics include Hot Gimmick, Sensei no Okiniiri (Teacher's Pet), Seiten Taisei (The Clear, Wide Blue Sky), So Bad!, Tokyo Boys & Girls (also available from VIZ Media) and Sora ni Taiyou ga Aru Kagiri (As Long as There Is a Sun in the Sky), among others.

Novel
Megumi Nishizaki is a Pisces born on February 29 with blood type O. Because of her ultra fickle personality (or perhaps because of a lack of talent?), she is someone who moves from job to job and lives a free and easy life. She rarely gets passionate about anything and is easily bored. She does, however, have a romantic side [heart]. She's a free spirit deeply in love with the simple life. For Palette Bunko she has written such books as the Shishunki Miman Okotowari (No Pre-Teens Allowed) novels, Fushigi Yûgi Gaiden, and the Ceres: Celestial Legend episode series, among others.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:00 pm
Volumes
[Viz Shojo Edition]
Status in Japan :: complete at 12 volumes
Status in US :: 12/12 released

User Image
Volume 1
When high school girl Hatsumi has to go buy a pregnancy test because her popular sister Akane is "late," who does she run into but her creepy bully neighbor Ryoki! And now he's blackmailing her to become his slave! How will mild-mannered Hatsumi get out of this mess? Will Hatsumi's childhood crush (and male model) Azusa be able to save her from Ryoki's clutches? Find out why Hot Gimmick is one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan!

User Image
Volume 2
Our heroine Hatsumi is on Cloud 9 when male model and childhood buddy Azusa asks her to be his girlfriend! But all is not as well as it seems: Hatsumi still has to get out from under the creepy clutches of her "master" Ryoki, who insists on continuing to blackmail her. And on the night of her first date with Azusa, her dad intervenes and grounds her! But that may not be the worst of it for poor Hatsumi, 'cause something's brewing with Azusa, and her knight in shining armor may not be what he seems...All this in drama-packed second volume of Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan!

User Image
Volume 3
Yeeeiiikes! In volume 3 of Hot Gimmick, things get really hairy for our hapless heroine Hatsumi as her too-good-to-be-true childhood-buddy-now-male-model boyfriend Azusa shows his true colors! And they're a lot worse than she thought! Will the unsuspecting Hatsumi wise up in time to escape Azusa's lizardly revenge plot? Or will she be saved by, of all people, her creepy "master" Ryoki? With (boy)friends like these, who needs enemies?!?...Find out why Hot Gimmick is one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan!

User Image
Volume 4
Find out why Hot Gimmick is one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan! The Narita family is given the deep freeze when one of Mrs. Tachibana's spies glimpses our hapless heroine, Hatsumi, with her treacherous ex-"boyfriend," Azusa. Thinking they're being ostracized because she's turned down her former "master" Ryoki's advances, Hatsumi tracks Ryoki down and begs him to take her back...as his slave! But this only pisses lovesick Ryoki off, who actually wants Hatsumi to like him. He has another plan to win Hatsumi's good graces: he wants her brother, Shinogu, to be his private math tutor, and he wants his lessons to take place at the Narita's apartment! Shinogu doesn't like it...especially since Hatsumi is starting to fall for Ryoki!

User Image
Volume 5
Increasingly attracted to her former "master" Ryoki, our heroine Hatsumi asks him to a movie, but things get complicated (of course), when a jealous Ryoki starts to take umbrage at Hatsumi's relationship with her (adopted?) brother Shinogu, which looks suspiciously "too close for comfort" from what he has seen. Then Shinogu decides to take himself out of the picture by moving out of the house...All this and more in the latest volume of Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan!

User Image
Volume 6
Oh no he didn't! Our romantically challenged and hopelessly hapless heroine Hatsumi inadvertently gets dragged along to the big meeting between her father and hunky model/childhood friend Azusa. And now that her big brother Shinogu's left the Narita house, who'll help Hatsumi pass her midterms? Enter Ryoki. His only condition for bringing up her lackluster grades: that she spend New Year's with him, all day and all night. This and more in the latest volume of Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked-about new manga titles coming out of Japan!

User Image
Volume 7
But she says he's just a friend...Well that's not how Ryoki feels. His New Year's fete with our hapless heroine Hatsumi didn't go according to plan, so childhood bully/potential boyfriend Ryoki hightails it back home in a huff. Luckily, Hatsumi's heavenly older brother Shinogu is there to give her a lift back to civilization. A botched burglary at the Narita household leaves Hatsumi panicky and, in an act that goes way against character, Ryoki lends her a hand, but their affections do not go unseen. Will Hatsumi and Ryoki's feelings be able to survive the harsh scrutiny of company-housing life? All this and more in Volume 7 of Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked about new shôjo titles from Japan.

User Image
Volume 8
Will wonders never cease...? It appears that relations between the forever hapless Hatsumi and her haughty quasi-boyfriend Ryoki Tachibana are on the up-and-up, but not if Ryoki's mom has her way. Deeming Hatsumi unworthy of her heavenly son's affections, Mrs. Tachibana hatches a scheme for Ryoki to fall in love with an equally brainy, upper-class young lady. Will Ryoki drop Hatsumi like a proverbial bag of dirt when this new "Little Miss Perfect" shows up? Plus, an equally jar-dropping flashback to Hatsumi's tiny-tot days that throws new light on how the veritable train wreck of her life got started. All this and more in Miki Aihara's Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked-about shôjo manga from Japan!

User Image
Volume 9
Our hapless heroine Hatsumi's romantic woes are put on hold (only momentarily, though) to provide ample time for her little sister Akane to experience the sweet sting of teenage love herself. She's tried flirting, she's tried being rude, but no matter how hard she works at it, Akane just doesn't seem capable of getting shy (and dorky) and cute (but still dorky) Subaru to come clean about his feelings. Will a box of Valentine's Day chocolate bring these two mixed-up kids together, or will Subaru forsake the look of love and watch Gundam reruns instead? Later, Ryoki gets some shocking news from his father and learns more than he wanted to know about his parents' tawdry past--as well as their tangled relations with Hatsumi's and Azusa's folks too! All this and more in Miki Aihara's Hot Gimmick one of the most talked-about shôjo manga from Japan!

User Image
Volume 10
It's all-out family warfare now that Ryoki's mother has dished some serious dirt about big brother Shinogu's past, resulting in Hatsumi's heavenly bro leaving on bad terms. Hoping to dissuade him from forever severing his ties with the Narita household, Hatsumi swings by Shinogu's pad, but not before dropping in on Ryoki and totally making his day (that is, until he finds out that she's still talking to her bro, and you know how he feels about that). Infuriated that Hatsumi still has the audacity to even think of any man but his wonderful self, Ryoki demands that Hatsumi choose between him and Shinogu. Hatsumi's about to get all wishy-washy--big surprise there--but Ryoki comes up with the perfect way to solidify their relationship...by running off to Izu together!

User Image
Volume 11
It's official--Hatsumi and Ryoki are no longer a couple...kinda. To avoid seeing her bossy (and totally former) b-friend, Hatsumi agrees to hang out at hunky (and totally adopted) big bro Shinogu's place. Hatsumi's dad stops by to fill the kids in on the Machiavellian scheme he and Ryoki's father were embroiled in, but this only reinforces Shinogu's resolve to sever his familial ties to the Narita household--and to convince Hatsumi to see him as a man, not a big brother. Later, Azusa gets more than an earful from an extremely unapologetic Mr. Tachibana, and Ryoki all but hooks up with another lovely lady...kinda. All this and more in Miki Aihara's Hot Gimmick, one of the most talked-about shôjo manga in both America and Japan!

User Image
Volume 12
Normally, most teenage girls would be beside themselves with joy to have not one but three hot-as-they-want-to-be men in their lives, and if that were all that mattered, Hatsumi Narita would have been crowned Queen of Happiness a long time ago. But such is not the case. Her hunky childhood friend (now an über-studly male model) has tried to ruin her life on several occasions, her dreamy older (and adopted) brother wants to run off with her, and her cute on-again, off-again ad infinitum boyfriend continues to be the world's biggest jerk. Who on earth will she finally choose? Or will Hatsumi remain hopelessly hapless to the bitter end?

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:01 pm
Volumes
[VIZBIG Edition]
Status in Japan :: n/a
Status in US :: 4/4 released

User Image
Volume 1
Hatsumi is a sensible and mild-mannered young girl, but she suddenly finds herself in a swirl of drama that threatens to drive her totally crazy. Her younger sister is a shameless flirt and might be pregnant. [Oh no!] An old friend is back in town and is now a famous (and hot) fashion model. [Swoon...] Her neighbor is a bully and is blackmailing her to be his love slave. [Hate him!!] And this is just the beginning! Miki Aihara turned the manga world upside down with her salacious, outrageous, and funny hit series. If you think being a teenager in America is hard, wait until you read Hot Gimmick. These Tokyo boys and girls are really messed up!

User Image
Volume 2
Miki Aihara turned the manga world upside down with her salacious, outrageous, and funny hit series. If you think being a teenager is hard, wait until you read Hot Gimmick. Hatsumi's troubles with school, life, and love are so full of twists and turns, it'll make your head spin. With more (love) triangles than you can throw a geometry book at, these Tokyo boys and girls are really messed up!

User Image
Volume 3
I love you like a brother. He loves me like a lover. Shinogu's deepest secret is exposed...the one that will take him out of Hatsumi's life forever. If you think being a teenager is hard, wait until you read Hot Gimmick -- these Tokyo boys and girls are really messed up!

User Image
Volume 4
Heads or tails? If only love were that easy… When Hatsumi learns the truth about Azusa's mother, it spoils her relationship with Ryoki… But is it enough to make her run into the arms of her brother Shinogu?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:02 pm
Novel

User Image
Think you know everything about Hot Gimmick? Well, think again! Hot Gimmick S, an original novelization inspired by the super--popular shojo series Hot Gimmick, boasts an ending that is completely different than how the manga series concludes. Hatsumi Narita, a somewhat indecisive coed, must navigate the choppy waters of company housing life and try to keep her love life on track too. She starts dating her extremely bossy neighbor Ryoki, but how will her dreamy older brother Shinogu feel about this? It's the ending that manga fans are dying to read and are bound to be talking about for a long time to come!

Plus, a bonus, heart--pounding manga episode that's all about Hatsumi and Shinogu!

kel aka gandy
Captain

mistedwings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:38 am
I enjoyed this series so much when I went to buy volume 6, and I got the entire series. smile

I can't find the novel anywhere though.... :/.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 pm
It has a very good ending and I love this series! But I think it was sad that the other guy was using her... crying ...  

Vampirepenguinlover

Shodaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:34 pm
YAY I was SO voting for (Spoiler--> wink Ryoki the entire time and NOW THEY'RE ENGAGED!!! >w< squee!!  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:32 am
I didn't like this series that much. It was okay in some parts but I did not like who she ended up with.  

cold2

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 pm
I'm only in the first volume of the BIG edition, and I'm super pissed at how terrible the boys are. Ryoki and Azusa are huge dicks! scream

I really, REALLY hope Hatsumi ends up with her nerdy otaku friend...(although some how I doubt it =_=)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:52 am
maple_chan
I'm only in the first volume of the BIG edition, and I'm super pissed at how terrible the boys are. Ryoki and Azusa are huge dicks! scream

I really, REALLY hope Hatsumi ends up with her nerdy otaku friend...(although some how I doubt it =_=)

I only read the first volume of the original edition and I couldn't deal with it. I was so disgusted with it that I eventually sold it because I didn't even want to own it anymore...  

kel aka gandy
Captain

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 pm
kel aka gandy
maple_chan

I only read the first volume of the original edition and I couldn't deal with it. I was so disgusted with it that I eventually sold it because I didn't even want to own it anymore...

There are just so many...ugh. Like it's strongly hinted that her older brother has a crush on her, while Mr. B-word upstairs keeps forcing himself on her, and her younger sister treats her like crap. Ugh...just...ugh...

Sadly, I'll probably end up reading the entire thing, because I have this annoying OCD thing ingrained in my brain that says if I start a series I have to finish it, regardless of how much I'm (not) enjoying it =_=

.: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games