Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
So What Game Developers do YOU trust? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:46 pm
The failure magazine Game Informer ran a poll recently that interviewed random gamers apparently and ranked game developers on how well they are trusted to make quality games.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(no I'm not calling game informer a failure for this since it was supposedly a survey). For the sake of being simple most game developers had their subsidiaries included (Nintendo includes Intelligent Gamers and Retro Studios etc.)

Now I have a lot of mixed feelings here. Honestly, it feels like this is popularity. The only games developed by EA that I can remember being any good are the sims, and battlefield. Nintendo is usually solid, but some recent entries (New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach, Mario Party...) just don't equate to most trusted for quality games in my opinion.

It's also interesting that some game developers (Bungie, Bioware, Blizzard) that are rated very highly have around 8 or less truly notable games...

What confirms my belief that it's mostly popularity is that Atlus (classic RPGs) and Nippon Ichi (they make a lot of pretentious japanese fantasy games, so the pretentious game people were up in arms over that) apparently make the worst games ever.

So, who do YOU trust?

Personally I trust Blizzard the most. When I look over the profiles of each maybe there'll be some others that I truly trust.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:58 pm
Also, ROFLMAO @ valve being so low.  

nitnit
Captain

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Yeah the list is moar popularity then trust worthy.

I trust Rockstar and Valve the most, if it's coming from them it's most likely quality (Blizzard too but I don't play any of their games). I would say the same for Bungie and Infinity Ward but so far they only make one series.

Oh, Nintendo if it's one of their triple A titles and with EA I'm not even really sure what's under them now since they've bought so many companies.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:24 pm
EA = fall of true gaming, rise of scrubby commercialized low quality mass produced gaming.  

nitnit
Captain

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:56 pm
nitnit
EA = fall of true gaming, rise of scrubby commercialized low quality mass produced gaming.
That deserves a QFT.

I trust Nintendo when it's another Zelda or Metroid game or something like that, but otherwise not really. Ironically, I'm pretty sure the only reason they topped that list was because of Wii Sports and Mario Party etc. appealing to all of those "non-traditional gamers", as Nintendo calls them. [/mock]

There's pretty much no way Blizzard will ever make a low-quality game, so I trust them. They'll probably steal my soul with their top-notch games, though...

Also, it's funny how Sega scored so low. It's quite laughable, although entirely predictable. That next Sonic game had better be epic, or nobody will trust them anymore except die-hard fans who don't care about the quality of the game anyways.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 pm
darkslasherX
except die-hard fans who don't care about the quality of the game anyways.

Shhh Michael RD has been around here lately ninja  

nitnit
Captain

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:18 pm
I for one like alot of Nippon Ichi games,as they're very good quality in my opinion,but they were rated one of the lowest.I think it was mostly based off which developer sells more units,and not nessecerily which had better games.I blame all the little kids that beg thier mommies for crap games like hello kitty,and the fans that by that stick by thier series reguardless of whether it's crap(I'm lookin at you Dynasty Warriors)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 pm
Yeah, I wrote in my original post that the fact that Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Valve were rated so low made me laugh  

nitnit
Captain

Psychoace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:47 am
BLIZZARD BECAUSE OF DIABLO III!!!!!

Nintendo used to be rather reliable but they seriously have been dropping the ball leaving the 'hardcore' gamer out in the dirt. I haven't really found anything wrong with Tecmo either. Konmai really put itself on the map again with MGS4. EA can burn in hell and Sega has produced nothing but shitty sonic games for the last few years, their last good game was probably Phantasy Star online. (never played universe).

My current favorites are probably
Blizzard
Konami
Capcom
Namco
Midway
Sega  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:42 am
I'm not going to go into a huge paragraph, so I'll just list the companies I trust.

Nintendo-Pokemon and Brawl FTW
Capcom-Megaman pwns
Harmonix-GH and Rock Band
Partly EA-Some good sports games

The rest, except Bungie, I've never heard of.  

PhoenixBlade983

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 pm
PhoenixBlade983

*facepalm* *pats phoenix*

Also my list of must trusted is:

Blizzard (within the past 10 years)
Valve

Nintendo is also usually decent, but in the past decade they've been kind of shaky...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:31 pm
nitnit
PhoenixBlade983

*facepalm* *pats phoenix*

Also my list of must trusted is:

Blizzard (within the past 10 years)
Valve

Nintendo is also usually decent, but in the past decade they've been kind of shaky...

Sorry I don't play PC games/have a 360/PS3. I don't play any other games than Pokemon, Brawl, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, The BIGS, and Zelda. There's a few more that I can't think of atm.  

PhoenixBlade983

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:33 pm
I did my research, and now I laugh at Nippon Ichi scoring the lowest of all developers. I'm pretty sure that the only reason that they scored so low was because anyone who's never owned a Playstation console wouldn't recognize the name. Once again, it's more of a popularity contest than a survey of developer trust.

I also laugh at how low Neversoft "scored". It's almost like the American public didn't like Guitar Hero 3 after all.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:03 pm
I find it amusing that the public thinks EA releases a better ratio of quality games than Valve. You know, Valve, the game company who's track record is pretty much just Half Life, HL2, and the other Half Life based games. Apparently countless shitty sports games > half life.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:26 pm
So, I actually just looked over ubisoft's titles, and about 1/3rd of them are utter crap, 1/3rd are meh, and 1/3rd are decent to great.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff