Reply Gaiaholics Anonymous
New Sponsor (Rant)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GA Eriwain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm

So, just read the new announcement and I just have to say, WTF Gaia?!
How can they justify advertising something as blatantly sexist as that movie? I haven't seen it, but the synopsis and promotional matierials point to it being a very anti-women movie.
Fair enough, I may be reading a little too much into it. Its anna Farris, shes cute in a blonde kinda way. Its a comedy and its supposed to be lighthearted. The problem is its gonna leave people with the impression that as a female its your looks, not your brains that will ultimately get you ahead.

Quote:
The combination leads all the girls to learn how to stop pretending and start being themselves.

[SPOILERS]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0852713/synopsis
Not only that, it implies that women cant be a complete person without a guy, no matter how smart or pretty she is.

I also realise that people can make up their own minds about how to live thier lives, but really? there are(no matter what the rules say) a lot of impressionable young people on here, and this surely isnt the right sort of image to be promoting. At least airhead was a rather good read about beauty and brains from each perspective.

Im sorry to rant at you guys, but seriously, I am considering leaving Gaia over this. I know I can just ignore it and not take part in the quests/use the items, but this offends my deepest principles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:32 pm
Oh sweetie.
I wouldn't let it get to you so much.

It'll probably end up being that she becomes less playboy-ish and the other girls just aren't as shy anymore.

I didn't read into the having to have a boy thing at all.

I guess a lot of people are pissed off about this movie.
But what's her face is almost always an over-sexed parody of reality.
And I'm sure it's just going to be a cheesy comedy.

I understand why you are upset though.
It's totally sending the wrong message to impressionable young ladies. But if they are so easily swayed by a simple lil sponsor on gaia, then they'll probably actually go see the movie. And hopefully the movie will really deliver that "you do not need to be half dressed to be attractive" message in the end.
Ya know?

Plus. I know you've seen all the lil girls that run around gaia as playboy bunnies already.
And in real life too. I see young girls with that nasty logo on too.  

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

crescent moon dreams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 pm
I like the ears! But I agree this not a movie that I approve of and if I had a daughter or sonI wouldnt want to let them see it!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:33 pm
After the terrible disaster that Zohan turned out to be (yes, I went to see it. And hated it.) I've decided that unless it's animated, I'm not going to go see any movie Gaia sponsors. xP *They should sponser Wall-E*  

XV - Shadowed Mistress

Beruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:43 pm
a WALL*E quest would have been so cool. The Kung Fu panda stuff wasn't bad. The quests were fun and the items were pretty good.  
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games