Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
What makes a game good? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 pm
What do you think makes a game good? What kinds of design aspects or features make a game worth playing over and over again? Just remember, this thread is only about opinion.

Personally, I think variety of play, in terms of play styles/classes/different types of weapons is an important factor, as is a good story.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 pm
Story is a important part of it, but having characters which you can connect to (Whether you love them to death or just hate their guts), really help it along. 3nodding  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:14 pm
I disagree with half of Bluix's statement since Vaan single handedly made me quit FFXII.

Personally, I believe a game has to have a hook. Story helps, but sometimes having too rich and overbearing of a story can hurt a game (see old random RPGs that nobody cares about). Actually, think about our most classic games. Many of them have very linear stories.

I'd say that examples of games that have the right mix of fun addicting gameplay and story would be Starcraft and WC3/WoW. You can play these games and have almost no clue about the story and enjoy them very much, but if you know the story it adds an entire extra level.

So, some basic things that every game needs to have:

- Solid easy to use controls (this killed so many dreamcast games for me...)
- Good camera (killed so many action games for me...)
- An addicting element
- Game Balance
- something to prevent it from being too repetitive.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:17 pm
boobs  

Pay Per Cuts

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 pm
I kid, I kid.

Umm, fun but it can't become TOO repetitive. I never get a game because of the story, it's usually just icing on the cake.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm
nitnit
I disagree with half of Bluix's statement since Vaan single handedly made me quit FFXII.

Personally, I believe a game has to have a hook. Story helps, but sometimes having too rich and overbearing of a story can hurt a game (see old random RPGs that nobody cares about). Actually, think about our most classic games. Many of them have very linear stories.

I'd say that examples of games that have the right mix of fun addicting gameplay and story would be Starcraft and WC3/WoW. You can play these games and have almost no clue about the story and enjoy them very much, but if you know the story it adds an entire extra level.

So, some basic things that every game needs to have:

- Solid easy to use controls (this killed so many dreamcast games for me...)
- Good camera (killed so many action games for me...)
- An addicting element
- Game Balance
- something to prevent it from being too repetitive.

You know yo ucan set the main character to any of the other characters, right?  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 pm
He's still in all the cinema scenes. (which make up like 30% of the game...)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:45 pm
alternately, you post up a picture of cloud/somebody cool on your TV screen over where Vaan's face appears. Anyway, I was able to handle it because I am a diehard fan/ liked the gameplay a lot. I just used Basch, baltier, and alternated between the hot bunny lady and the princess as healers/ranged attackers.  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:49 pm
Lol, my favorite thing in that game from the 15% of it I saw was fran being in it (since she was in FFTA)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:50 pm
I would use the word "Giggity" to describe her.  

Deathguiser

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:18 am
- I like it.
- It comes out with a price special.
- It goes on sale in a couple of years.
- Its value fluctuates over a decade due to rarity.

A lot of good games fall into this category actually.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 am
a game where yer partners(cpus) really do somthing and cooperate with u kinda like halo  

nightmarish angel

Muleferdan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm
-Decent Graphics
-Good Storyline
-Easy AND Fluent controls
-Good Camera
-White Wolves with the power to paint life  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:51 pm
Muleferdan
-Decent Graphics
-Good Storyline
-Good Camera

Graphics have nothing to do with a game's quality. Look at Crysis. That game has the most developed graphics in history. Does that stop the game from sucking? Sure doesn't.  

SPC Maria Angseth

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Lobelia Mk IV
Muleferdan
-Decent Graphics
-Good Storyline
-Good Camera

Graphics have nothing to do with a game's quality. Look at Crysis. That game has the most developed graphics in history. Does that stop the game from sucking? Sure doesn't.

But I'm sure you wouldn't want to be seeing a game that forces you to use a pixel to run around in the game when there's tons of other indistinguishable pixels there as well. There has to be a middle ground which was what I think he meant when he said "decent graphics".  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff