Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I want to make a dress like this.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sa-mi-ra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:16 am

User Image

I know I'll make a bell skirt for the bottom part, but I have no idea how to make the top. Does anyone have a pattern for anything like this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 pm
I can't tell if that has lapels or not. Try doing a google search for vintage empire dress patterns. You might not be able to find the exact match to the one you posted, but you'll probably find one close enough that you can alter. There's a website that sells vintage prom dress patterns that might work.

A combination of the one on the right and the one on the left. or this pink one might work  

Supertheory

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:23 pm
I was looking earlier today at the catalogues at work (i work at a fabric store...) and i remember i found something like that... lemme see...

Here it is!
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5209.htm??tab=dresses&page=1

That might be just what your looking for. I didn't really look through anything but Mcalls and butterick, since thats what was on sale.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:52 am
kochi~mochi
I was looking earlier today at the catalogues at work (i work at a fabric store...) and i remember i found something like that... lemme see...

Here it is!
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5209.htm??tab=dresses&page=1

That might be just what your looking for. I didn't really look through anything but Mcalls and butterick, since thats what was on sale.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you & thanks Hikoo, now I need to find out how to get those patterns to Finland. : D

sa-mi-ra

sa-mi-ra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:54 am

Oh wait, that pattern seems to be too big for me, I'm a size 0/00 D:
Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 am
It's actually a pretty common pattern. Just look around for vintage empire dresses.  

Supertheory

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:00 pm
I'm obsessed with Polka Dots and have been looking for the perfect 50's style black dress with big white polka dots. I haven't had any luck finding one in stores nor on E-bay.

I'd be interested in learning how to make my own, since I'm so specific as to what I want. I'd also like to make a dress from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, but that dress is so complicated, I should start out on something simpler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:55 am
sa-mi-ra

Oh well.

What are the measurements for 0/00?  

kamiyra

madame trash heap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:38 am
Hikoo
I can't tell if that has lapels or not. Try doing a google search for vintage empire dress patterns. You might not be able to find the exact match to the one you posted, but you'll probably find one close enough that you can alter. There's a website that sells vintage prom dress patterns that might work.

A combination of the one on the right and the one on the left. or this pink one might work

This is such a cool website! Thank you for posting it. I have a feeling I'll be spending more money than I should here  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:36 am
madame trash heap
Hikoo

This is such a cool website! Thank you for posting it. I have a feeling I'll be spending more money than I should here

Seconded. Those patterns look interesting. However, I am a little larger than the measurements for the 50's dresses I want. How many inches would I have to add?  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 am
Okay, bought this one. Squee!

Now I just need a sewing machine, some fabric, and some time. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 pm
kamiyra
sa-mi-ra

Oh well.

What are the measurements for 0/00?

I meant 0 or 00 ::sweat
My measurements are:
bust 30"
waist 23"
hips 31"

just to let everyone know, lol.

sa-mi-ra

dkpuppets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:19 pm
they make the same patterns in a variety of sizes, so whether it's too big or too small they should have your size. at least that's what I've noticed, but I could be wrong. I don't even know my size.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games