Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply ☪)Islamic Discussion(☪
Muslims Shocked 2 hear that Walkers Crisps contains ALCAHOL Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dark__sunshin
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:10 am
BOYCOTT WALKERS CRISPS!!!

-well, I thought this was urgent, so I made this to warn you all-

The Times is a trusted newspaper, if you havn't heard of it.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3412749.ece

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Muslims shocked to learn that crisps contain alcohol

Valerie Elliott, Consumer Editor

Senior Muslim figures have said that they are shocked that a number of Walkers snacks contain traces of alcohol and eating them is therefore against their religion.

A tiny amount of alcohol is used in some products as a chemical agent to extract flavour.

The use of alcohol was discovered by Besharat Rehman, who owns a halal supermarket in Bradford, and reported in the Eastern Eye. Mr Rehman said: “Our suppliers were unaware of the alcohol. Walkers must make it clear on the packaging so customers can make an informed choice.”

Shuja Shafi, who chairs the food standards committee of the Muslim Council of Britain, said that he intended to investigate. “Certainly we would find it very offensive to have eaten food with alcohol.”

Masood Khawaja, of the Halal Food Authority, said that it had raised labelling issues and alcohol flavouring with Walkers before. “They should have looked into the matter and solved it instead of hiding behind labelling regulations. It does not matter what percentage of alcohol is involved.”

However, a Walkers consumer care team representative was unapologetic. She said: “There is not enough room on the packaging to list things beyond allergy-causing ingredients that can make people ill. A minimal amount of alcohol is used to extract the flavour of some crisps.”

Snacks that are likely to be boycotted by Muslims are Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli, Doritos Chilli Heat Wave and Quavers Cheese.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:37 pm
Whoa, that chick's name is Valerie! You'd better listen to her. We Valeries are usually right about things. ;D

But seriously. You guys can't have doritos now? I love doritos. ;_;

Sometimes I wonder if maybe the rules of Islam are a bit too strict... but it's not my business. If people choose to follow Islam, it's their choice to give things up.  

BubbleBerry Tea

Liberal Witch

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 pm

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
actually i find this silly.
there's a difference between drinking alcohol and naturally existing/used for flavoring

vanilla extract has alcohol in it, are you gonna not eat anything with vanilla in it?

If it's a negligible amount, it's nothing important. It's for FLAVORING for chrissake. Not alcohols are the same. Next thing i'm going to hear is that ethynol alcohol and alcohol pads are going to be banned for containing alcohol, which is used to sterilize wounds, objects, ect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:32 am
BeXlieXve
Whoa, that chick's name is Valerie! You'd better listen to her. We Valeries are usually right about things. ;D

Sometimes I wonder if maybe the rules of Islam are a bit too strict... but it's not my business. If people choose to follow Islam, it's their choice to give things up.

Islam has strict rules ?? like what?? ...
wearing hijab 4 exp.?
we wear Hijab so we don't fall in sick hands !!! .. it preserves our dignities and Integrities 3nodding !!

dark__sunshin
Vice Captain

dark__sunshin
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 am
Ratri_Cat

there's a difference between drinking alcohol and naturally existing/used for flavoring

vanilla extract has alcohol in it, are you gonna not eat anything with vanilla in it?

If it's a negligible amount, it's nothing important. It's for FLAVORING for chrissake. Not alcohols are the same. Next thing i'm going to hear is that ethynol alcohol and alcohol pads are going to be banned for containing alcohol, which is used to sterilize wounds, objects, ect.

xD .. this alcahole is the alcahole that comes in bottles [[ like the one u usually drink ]] they add it to make some tastier flavore '' as they claim '' it's like putting pork's Gelatin to flavore !! .. which is of course forbidden and if u find this silly .. it's ur Opinion , but for me .. i don't think this is silly AT ALL !! i think it's pretty seriouse for muslims eating something forbidden with out knowing !!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:26 am
dark__sunshin
BeXlieXve

Islam has strict rules ?? like what?? ...
wearing hijab 4 exp.?
we wear Hijab so we don't fall in sick hands !!! .. it preserves our dignities and Integrities 3nodding !!

Actually, I still find that strict. sweatdrop
I don't wear a Hijab, but I haven't fallen into sick hands.
I still have my dignity and integrity, y'know?

But again, it's your religion. You have the right to your beliefs. I don't mean to be insulting.  

BubbleBerry Tea

Liberal Witch

Thou Exalted

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:30 pm
Eh I don't eat anything that's unhealthy for me anyway, I try to avoid those kinds of fatty foods often so it's not a big deal for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:48 pm
dark__sunshin
Ratri_Cat

xD .. this alcahole is the alcahole that comes in bottles [[ like the one u usually drink ]] they add it to make some tastier flavore '' as they claim '' it's like putting pork's Gelatin to flavore !! .. which is of course forbidden and if u find this silly .. it's ur Opinion , but for me .. i don't think this is silly AT ALL !! i think it's pretty seriouse for muslims eating something forbidden with out knowing !!

*sigh* what I mean is that you Muslims need to do your research before boycotting items. It's silly to make up such a big hullabaloo over nothing. I think that you guys need to be slightly more realistic on your goals.

and unless you're eating farm fresh foods all the time and nothing processed...the whole Muslim is going to have to get used to this manufactured alcohol flavoring concept.
Glycerin, is a common additive in nearly all processed foods. It's also an alcohol base. Glycerol is everywhere. Get used to it.
You've probably been consuming foods that contain these tiny traces of alcohols far longer than before you discovered this article. It's not just in foods, but in many types of product. Just because a compound contains the word "alcohol" does not automatically mean that it's the drinkable kind.

"Alcohol" is a generic name for organic chemical compounds...
there are different types of alcohol. The type that you drink is fermented from yeast. Flavoring alcohol is a different alcohol altogether. Different compounds make it up. It's from a different source, and it's not going to ever achieve the same affect as regular alcohol. It's chemically manufactured. Negligible amount means it's near to nothing in existence. It's such a tiny amount that it is probably less than the amount of alcohol that gets in your your system via alcohol pad. We create alcohols in our body naturally as it is.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

BubbleBerry Tea

Liberal Witch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:25 pm
We create alcohol in our bodies? Oh wow, this I did not know. ._.
How does that work?

But I do have to agree with Ratri. Alcohol is something that's used very often because it can be a good thing, not just a bad thing. It's used to disinfect wounds, sterilize medical equipment... It's probably in most, if not all, of your cleaning products around the house.

See, by staying away from the "bad," you guys have managed to throw away the "good" as well. Surely you can find a balance and use alcohol (along with other forbidden things) when it's good.

Because, my religion doesn't say this, but it's something that I've picked up... Everything is good in moderation. If you drink too much beer, then yes, that's very bad for you. But do you know that one can of beer a day is good for you? And red wine, which also contains alcohol, can help prevent heart disease.

So, maybe instead of doing away with things completely, you could try to find a middleground and use things without getting hurt. It's worked for the rest of us so far.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:27 pm
BeXlieXve
How does that work?

But I do have to agree with Ratri. Alcohol is something that's used very often because it can be a good thing, not just a bad thing. It's used to disinfect wounds, sterilize medical equipment... It's probably in most, if not all, of your cleaning products around the house.

See, by staying away from the "bad," you guys have managed to throw away the "good" as well. Surely you can find a balance and use alcohol (along with other forbidden things) when it's good.

Because, my religion doesn't say this, but it's something that I've picked up... Everything is good in moderation. If you drink too much beer, then yes, that's very bad for you. But do you know that one can of beer a day is good for you? And red wine, which also contains alcohol, can help prevent heart disease.

So, maybe instead of doing away with things completely, you could try to find a middleground and use things without getting hurt. It's worked for the rest of us so far.
erm, you kinda missed my point.
I was saying that there are different types of alcohols and not all of them pertain to the type that you drink. And that an alcohol-based chemical is common in pretty much ALL processed foods, so it would be ridiculous to boycott these chips/crisps, because it's IMPRACTICAL.

I can see why people of a religion would give up alcohol. I've got no problem with that. But going so far as to try and boycott chips because the flavoring is an alcohol base? Seriously, that is just plain silly. They just need to stick with abstaining from beer, wine, vodka, ect. and keep it to beverages and things of real alcohol.

And yes, we make alcohols in our body. It's a by-product of metabolism. It's a natural result of sugar fermentation. Ever hear of blood alcohol concentration?

And what would Muslims say to this then, hmmm? WE MAKE ALCOHOL IN OUR BODIES AND IT'S IN MEDICINE AS WELL!!!

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Zaakii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:38 am
dark__sunshin
BOYCOTT WALKERS CRISPS!!!

-well, I thought this was urgent, so I made this to warn you all-

The Times is a trusted newspaper, if you havn't heard of it.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3412749.ece

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Muslims shocked to learn that crisps contain alcohol

Valerie Elliott, Consumer Editor

Senior Muslim figures have said that they are shocked that a number of Walkers snacks contain traces of alcohol and eating them is therefore against their religion.

A tiny amount of alcohol is used in some products as a chemical agent to extract flavour.

The use of alcohol was discovered by Besharat Rehman, who owns a halal supermarket in Bradford, and reported in the Eastern Eye. Mr Rehman said: “Our suppliers were unaware of the alcohol. Walkers must make it clear on the packaging so customers can make an informed choice.”

Shuja Shafi, who chairs the food standards committee of the Muslim Council of Britain, said that he intended to investigate. “Certainly we would find it very offensive to have eaten food with alcohol.”

Masood Khawaja, of the Halal Food Authority, said that it had raised labelling issues and alcohol flavouring with Walkers before. “They should have looked into the matter and solved it instead of hiding behind labelling regulations. It does not matter what percentage of alcohol is involved.”

However, a Walkers consumer care team representative was unapologetic. She said: “There is not enough room on the packaging to list things beyond allergy-causing ingredients that can make people ill. A minimal amount of alcohol is used to extract the flavour of some crisps.”

Snacks that are likely to be boycotted by Muslims are Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli, Doritos Chilli Heat Wave and Quavers Cheese.

WHAT? MY AUNTY IN ENGLAND USED TO BE BOSS IN THAT COMPANY?

Now she makes schools and help kids in Africa...

Yup, i agree! DON'T EAT IT!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 am
Ratri_Cat
BeXlieXve
How does that work?

erm, you kinda missed my point.
I was saying that there are different types of alcohols and not all of them pertain to the type that you drink. And that an alcohol-based chemical is common in pretty much ALL processed foods, so it would be ridiculous to boycott these chips/crisps, because it's IMPRACTICAL.

I can see why people of a religion would give up alcohol. I've got no problem with that. But going so far as to try and boycott chips because the flavoring is an alcohol base? Seriously, that is just plain silly. They just need to stick with abstaining from beer, wine, vodka, ect. and keep it to beverages and things of real alcohol.

And yes, we make alcohols in our body. It's a by-product of metabolism. It's a natural result of sugar fermentation. Ever hear of blood alcohol concentration?

And what would Muslims say to this then, hmmm? WE MAKE ALCOHOL IN OUR BODIES AND IT'S IN MEDICINE AS WELL!!!

Yup we proberly make alcohol in our bodies. But it's haram to thake! Allah(swt) knows why we do it...  

Zaakii

AnGeL_C R O T C H

9,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 am
No matter what the substance or topic is, there will be naysayers and people who dont agree.

Also, i believe that islam allows for traces of haram in items that cannot be supplemented.

For instance medicine, if there is only one type of a medicine to cure or control a disease and that medicine contains a small amount of pork...juice...somehow, i believe it is permissible in islam to take that medicine. Allah wants what is best for us.

But what many people, both Muslims and Non-muslims fail to realize is that a major goal of islam is to affect the type of people we are. Islam is a majorly intention-based religion. For instance drinking alcohol is much more harmful than it will ever be helpful.

So if you intend to be a good person, and you know alcohol is counterproductive to that goal, you will avoid alcohol. Or if you wish to be healthy, pork is generally counterproductive to that goal.

Allah's word is meant for our safety and prosperity.

But i can agree that too much of anything, including a religious obsession, is bad for you. When you obsess, you misinterpret and miscommunicate and you wind up going to far.

The downside to that would ofcourse be being to loose in interpretation.
I dont know if anyone is getting what im trying to say here... but im going to stop because i am beginning to confuse myself. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 am
AnGeL_C R O T C H
No matter what the substance or topic is, there will be naysayers and people who dont agree.

Also, i believe that islam allows for traces of haram in items that cannot be supplemented.

For instance medicine, if there is only one type of a medicine to cure or control a disease and that medicine contains a small amount of pork...juice...somehow, i believe it is permissible in islam to take that medicine. Allah wants what is best for us.

But what many people, both Muslims and Non-muslims fail to realize is that a major goal of islam is to affect the type of people we are. Islam is a majorly intention-based religion. For instance drinking alcohol is much more harmful than it will ever be helpful.

So if you intend to be a good person, and you know alcohol is counterproductive to that goal, you will avoid alcohol. Or if you wish to be healthy, pork is generally counterproductive to that goal.

But i can agree that too much of anything, including a religious obsession, is bad for you. When you obsess, you misinterpret and miscommunicate and you wind up going to far.

I dont know if anyone is getting what im trying to say here... but im going to stop because i am beginning to confuse myself. sad

some how i want so say that i got you!!

yes Allah(azwajal) wants best for us!!

and it is said that we are severly sick and the only cure is something that is haram then it becomes halal at that time

same is said with haram food

if you are hungry and you dont find any thing eatable (halal) and you can not bear your hunger any more then haram becomes halal

which means even you can eat flash of a dog to survive..!!  

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Zaakii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:28 am
tassan
AnGeL_C R O T C H

some how i want so say that i got you!!

yes Allah(azwajal) wants best for us!!

and it is said that we are severly sick and the only cure is something that is haram then it becomes halal at that time

same is said with haram food

if you are hungry and you dont find any thing eatable (halal) and you can not bear your hunger any more then haram becomes halal

which means even you can eat flash of a dog to survive..!!

Your both right, but that's not the discussion!  
☪)Islamic Discussion(☪

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff