Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[DISCUSSION] Guardians of the Watchtowers...ever wonder?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:23 am
twisted Ever wonder what the heck they were?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:25 pm
Thanks for the link!!!

I'm a "hail to the Guardians" girl. There is just something about formally recognizing them, that gives me a warm fuzzy. Now I admit I'm more of an elements person, but still each elements has it's own guardian - so I like inviting them to join me whenever I am doing formal rituals. It makes the energy that much better within my circle!  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

doistu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:13 am
Calling the corners is my favourite part of casting circle!

Its like having a group of special friends over to play lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 am
I've always had some issues with the watchtowers. I think its the origins in Ceremonial Magic and the links with angels and so on. With no traditional Wiccan training, I have no idea who these guardians actually are and therefore feel very wary about summoning them. In the same way, I'd have real issues holding ritual for a deity I knew nothing about.

While I haven't cast circle in ritual - at least in full - for a long time, I would rather do things a bit differently. I'm more likely to greet the cardinal directions as simply directions, rather than any sort of guardian spirit, and to declare the elements present separately. I don't tend to tie elements to separate spirits either; I don't think in terms of salamanders and undines or whatever. Water is water. I'm an animist, so I believe there's a spiritual wotsit involved, but it's still water I'm dealing with and not a spirit-form that dwells within it, if that makes sense. But then I'm no Wiccan...

On that note, actually, what's the thought here on how important the guardians of the watchtowers are to Neo-Wiccan ritual form? If you take them away, is it still a Neo-Wiccan ritual?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas