Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
new to this guild, as well as my path

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaisune

6,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 pm
hello, as you can tell by the topic sublect, i am new to this guild, and to my pagan path. I believe in reincarnation, ghosts, phycic abilities, and premonitions. what authors would be good to start with?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 am
Welcome!
Although I don't think any of those things, save for reincarnation, are specific to a certain path, Wicca (Traditional and Neo) believe in reincarnation.

It might be of benefit to you to read some of the different cultures' myths and see what strikes you and makes sense to you.

If you're interested in pursuing Neo-Wicca, Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" is a wonderful book for beginners. Thea Sabin is also a decent Neo-Wiccan author from what I hear. It would also probably be beneficial to read the works of Gerald Gardner, "Witchcraft Today" and "The Meaning of Witchcraft" to get a bit of a grip on what Wicca was originally meant to be.

Good luck!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

A Scarecrow

Wheezing Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:47 am
I find Raven Grimmassi to have some fairly interesting books, but his books aren't exactly some of the ones you'd start with. They do have some very good information and ideas, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 pm
There is a recomended Reading List in the Library subforum, that has a fairly extensive list of books that are helpful to those who are just starting out.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Kaisune

6,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:17 am
thank you people! his gives me a great place to start  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:12 am
I highly recommend the book Wicca: The Complete Craft by DJ Conway. It's a very good book for both beginners and the experienced.  

Tari_Leralonde

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:22 pm
Tari_Leralonde
I highly recommend the book Wicca: The Complete Craft by DJ Conway. It's a very good book for both beginners and the experienced.

Warning! Warning! Stay AWAY from Conway. BAD author. Lots of very, very bad history and terrible research.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:07 pm
Sanguina-chan
Tari_Leralonde

Warning! Warning! Stay AWAY from Conway. BAD author. Lots of very, very bad history and terrible research.

Agreed; I was just thinking that I'd heard some questionable (at best) things about her. I know of one person who read one of her books and it gave the completely wrong dates for the holidays!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:47 am
According to various reviews, she commits the Cardinal Sins:

- Saying the words "Wicca", "witchcraft" and "the Craft" are interchangeable...

- Claiming Wiccan is an ancient religion

- Claiming that there were ancient matriarchal societies that were conquered and suppressed by evil patriarchies.

You don't even wanna know about her book on Norse magic.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:22 am
I always enjoy reading Scott Cunningham books. Also Raymond Buckland is good too.  

moon child

15,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:27 pm
cunningham all the way man!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games