Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Meh, i need to learn.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Simpleboo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm
Ok, i need some basics to start from. I know some such as certain rifles, calibers, and manufactuers, but is there something that i can start from?
I want to learn this stuff, so halp :3  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:22 pm
what would you like to know?  

Freak_090
Captain

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:46 pm
OK,

You have several basic varieties of each form of handgun, rifle, carbine and shotgun that we can talk about.

In the handgun column, you have revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. While there are other varieties such as derringers and single shot hunting pistols, these are niche market items.

Rifles and carbines are easy enough as well. You have bolt action and semi-auto. Again, there are niche market varieties such as pump action repeaters and single and double barrel hunting rifles.

Shotguns are also available as single or double shot break, pump or semi-automatic, depending on the kind of shooting you would use it for.

Then there is the market for military weapons, which can duplicate much of the above listings. Older military pistols are either revolvers or semi-auto.

Rifles and carbines tend to be bolt actions for pre-World War II armies. The semi-auto became more of a factor during the war, moving to automatic weapons (which are not easy or cheap for the average person to obtain these days.

Semi-auto military weapons can be obtained, but are becoming hard to come by in many states.

So much for the basics.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:03 pm
Freak_090
I know that .223 is 5.56 or something like that, so what .-- pairs up to what MM  

Simpleboo

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 pm
Simple boo
Freak_090
I know that .223 is 5.56 or something like that, so what .-- pairs up to what MM

5.56NATO is NOT the same as .223 they are very close though.

NEVER use 5.56NATO ammunition in a .223 rifle. 5.56 ammo has substanstially higher pressures than .223 and can cause major problems when used in .223 rifles. It is ok to use .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56 though.

.308Win and 7.62NATO are similar. However it is not safe to fire .308win in a 7.62NATO chamber. IIRC, the .308 has a shorter neck than the NATO round, this causes a gap between the .308 casing and the NATO chamber. This can lead to a kB!

9mm Parabellum and 9mm Luger are the same. (9x19)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm
How come some .22 rounds have a special title like "Rimfire"  

Simpleboo

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:56 pm
Simple boo

Many low powered rounds like the .22 short, long and long rifle are all part of a class of ammunition that has an integrated ignition system rather than a separate center primer. Thus, the rimfire round was created, the .22 being the most popular of the series.

The nice thing about the design is that you don't need to use a needle like firing pin. Just strike the rim with a large square or round pin and boom.

Most folks don't bother with the rimfire when talking about the .22 long rifle any more.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:10 pm
Floyd
Simple boo

Many low powered rounds like the .22 short, long and long rifle are all part of a class of ammunition that has an integrated ignition system rather than a separate center primer. Thus, the rimfire round was created, the .22 being the most popular of the series.

The nice thing about the design is that you don't need to use a needle like firing pin. Just strike the rim with a large square or round pin and boom.

Most folks don't bother with the rimfire when talking about the .22 long rifle any more.
Rimfire rounds are also non-reloadable, and are mostly synonymous with "smallbore."

Also, .1" = 2.54mm

5.56mm=.223"; the bullets themselves are interchangeable, but the 5.56NATO generally has a larger powder load in the cartridge, causing kB!s in guns not made to handle it. Do I have that right?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:20 pm
Fresnel

5.56mm=.223"; the bullets themselves are interchangeable, but the 5.56NATO generally has a larger powder load in the cartridge, causing kB!s in guns not made to handle it. Do I have that right?

Yep

Too further explain why the .22s and .17s are rimfire: The base of the casing is too small for the standard rifle primer, so an integrated primer was the only decent option.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games