Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply ☪)Islamic Discussion(☪
Why does catholics not call themself christians?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zaakii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:02 am
Asalam-Alaykum!

As the topic says *Why does catholics not call themself christians?????*

If you ask a catholic if the person is christian they say no confused

I just wonder... Cause i toth a catholic was a christian confused  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 pm
yea i want to know too if they are same or not!!

if they are same then y different name?

i guess both of them follow different bibles that could be the reason!!  

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:21 pm
Let me begin with a simple phrase:
All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.

*cough* first, let me give you a language lesson on the name.
The proper term for us is this: Roman Catholic. We are called this because in Latin (really old version i guess), you are saying "Universal Church"

We call claim to the root of Christianity. We and the Greek Orthodox are the oldest branches of Christianity.
We've been around for 2,000 or more years and can trace our history back to Jesus's disciples and Jesus the big man himself.

Why do we call ourselves Catholic instead of Christian?

"Christian" is a generic term. It refers to "follower of Christ". People who believe in Jesus as Lord and God are called Christians.

Catholic is a specific term, like a type of follower of Christ. Some Christian faiths claim that Catholics aren't true Christians and have called us cannibals and idol-worshipers in the past. Then we point out that we've been around longer and they technically branched off of us.

We actually do have different bibles than other Christian faiths. We have something called the Catholic Cannon, which we believe to be the true Scriptures, as inspired by God. We have more books than other Christian faiths because way back when Martin Luther decided to break off from the Church, he noted that St. Jerome (famous for his translation of the bible into vernacular language [common form of language] had some of the books from Hebrew Scriptures that were in the bible that didn't have Hebrew back-ups. In other words, he saw that some books like Maccabees, only appeared to exist in Greek. And since it was a Hebrew book in Greek format only, he chucked it, thinking that unless it had Hebrew writing to back up the story, it wasn't legit and the church had made it up for their own benefit or whatever.

Centuries later we found the Dead Sea Scrolls backing up all the books that Martin Luther had eliminated from the bible and the Protestants still haven't fixed it. :3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:39 pm
To sum up Ratri's long post:

Catholics are Christian.

Christain is a generic term for a follower of Isu.

Catholic is a type of follower of Isu, and is from a long-lasting and huge organization.

The Dead Terrorist Achmed

Zaakii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:47 pm
Hmm... Thanks biggrin Lølz i know that 3nodding

But why they run away from other christians? Lølz the protostantes discriminate chatoliks for buying their sins away, and for having a big way to conect to god... Wich means you have to be the pove to "conect to god"

But why they run away?

The protostants call themself christians... They just see chatoliks as another part of christianity... Like Shi'ar and Sunni?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:22 am
Zaaki
But why they run away from other christians? Lølz the protostantes discriminate chatoliks for buying their sins away, and for having a big way to conect to god... Wich means you have to be the pove to "conect to god"
But why they run away?
The protostants call themself christians... They just see chatoliks as another part of christianity... Like Shi'ar and Sunni?

You're going to have to specify about running away from other Christians.
Protestants have been claiming that we buy our sins away for a long time now. That old practice was forbidden by the Church once enough light was brought to the corruption of some of the priests.
Protestants consider themselves Christains; they branched off from Catholicism when Martin Luther left the Church. Some consider us Catholics to be part of Christainity, but others don't. Kinda like how some of you guys view Shia as a uh, not true Muslim.
We separate ourselves from other Christains because we are the oldest branch and do not change our policies upon a person's whim like other new-fangled Christian-based policies do.
What changes we do make take long and careful consideration, and are rare in occurence.
`

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Zaakii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:52 pm
Ratri_Cat
Zaaki
But why they run away?

Protestants have been claiming that we buy our sins away for a long time now. That old practice was forbidden by the Church once enough light was brought to the corruption of some of the priests.
Protestants consider themselves Christains; they branched off from Catholicism when Martin Luther left the Church. Some consider us Catholics to be part of Christainity, but others don't. Kinda like how some of you guys view Shia as a uh, not true Muslim.
We separate ourselves from other Christains because we are the oldest branch and do not change our policies upon a person's whim like other new-fangled Christian-based policies do.
What changes we do make take long and careful consideration, and are rare in occurence.
`

Lølz soo how you think chatolicsm is made? Some "evangellians" did like Martin Luther, and wrote about him and stuff like that... Nerly the same way as Sir M. Luther!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:59 pm
Zaaki
Ratri_Cat
Zaaki
But why they run away?

`

Lølz soo how you think chatolicsm is made? Some "evangellians" did like Martin Luther, and wrote about him and stuff like that... Nerly the same way as Sir M. Luther!

I don't understand you one bit. There are other evangelical christians that broke off from Martin Luther.

And I know about my Church history, thank you very much. I know the difference between fact and propaganda bullshit. stare

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Zaakii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:34 am
Ratri_Cat
Zaaki
Ratri_Cat
Zaaki
But why they run away?

`

I don't understand you one bit. There are other evangelical christians that broke off from Martin Luther.

And I know about my Church history, thank you very much. I know the difference between fact and propaganda bullshit. stare

Then tell me the facts wink

Lølz i diden't know what propaganda was beffore this guild... It means making someone belive/join by lie/ore truth  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 am
Zaaki, what facts are you talking about?

Aside from personal opinion on protestants thoughts on catholics, everything else has been the truth.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

☪)Islamic Discussion(☪

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces