Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
I've got some questions :) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 pm
Hi, I'm new here. I'm interested in learning more about weapons; mainly guns. I don't know very much about weapons at all, so here goes.

I have some questions right off the bat:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is a screenshot of a model from a program called FPS Creator. It is a revolver that fires shotgun shells. Is this possible in reality? I highly doubt it.

Also, I read a passage that mentioned caseless rounds. Apparently from what I read, they are as effective as normal rounds, but are they more expensive?

Another question...what is the difference between blow-back and delayed blow-back?

Oh, and one more. I saw some of you guys with weapon additions to your avatars. Where can I get some? : D  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:42 pm
From the scale, they seem to be .410s. They made some Derringers that were in that caliber.
As for in a revolver I don't think so. Unless they make the action just like the Nagant revolver where it closes the seal, otherwise you may have problems with the sabot. neutral ... or something.  

OberFeldwebel

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm
OberFeldwebel
From the scale, they seem to be .410s. They made some Derringers that were in that caliber.
As for in a revolver I don't think so. Unless they make the action just like the Nagant revolver where it closes the seal, otherwise you may have problems with the sabot. neutral ... or something.

Could you explain what you mean by the Nagant revolver closing the seal? I don't know what the seal is you're referring to... sad  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:43 pm
It's a Taurus Judge.
User Image

It has a Springfield Armory stamp on it, though.

User Image

Caseless rounds are, so far, a failure. The lack of a casing means there's no reason to have an ejection port. There's nothing to eject. Unfortunately, that port is a major ventilation point. Without it, the gun, and rounds inside it, overheat and fire off inside the magazine, and the gun becomes a claymore.

Check the marketplace. The revolvers are sold at Prize and Joy, and the SMGs and rifles are poses of the Assassin's Guise monthly collectible from a while back.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:44 pm
Wark_Ento
OberFeldwebel

Could you explain what you mean by the Nagant revolver closing the seal? I don't know what the seal is you're referring to... sad

Oh ok.

copypaste
Non-gas seal revolvers have a small gap between the cylinder and the barrel; the small gap between the cylinder and barrel is necessary to allow the revolver's cylinder to revolve, presenting a new, loaded chamber for firing. This necessitates that the bullet jump the gap when fired, which may have an adverse effect on accuracy, especially if the barrel and chamber are misaligned, and also presents a path for the escape of high-pressure and high-temperature gases from behind the bullet. The M1895 has a mechanism which, as the hammer is cocked, first turns the cylinder and then moves it forward, closing the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. The cartridge, also unique, plays an important part in sealing the gun to the escape of propellant gases. The bullet is deeply seated, entirely within the cartridge case, and the case is slightly reduced in diameter at its mouth. The barrel features a short conical section at its rear; this accepts the mouth of the cartridge, completing the gas seal. By sealing the gap, the velocity of the bullet is increased by 50 to 150 ft/s (15 to 45 m/s).

I'm picturing how you would make such a thing. It would be entirely possible. But as to why someone would want a Revolver in .410 is beyond me. That is unless they have a hankerin' for some wrist punishment.

ADD:
There is one? Holy s**t, what's the action like on it?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 pm
OberFeldwebel
Wark_Ento
OberFeldwebel

Oh ok.

copypaste
Non-gas seal revolvers have a small gap between the cylinder and the barrel; the small gap between the cylinder and barrel is necessary to allow the revolver's cylinder to revolve, presenting a new, loaded chamber for firing. This necessitates that the bullet jump the gap when fired, which may have an adverse effect on accuracy, especially if the barrel and chamber are misaligned, and also presents a path for the escape of high-pressure and high-temperature gases from behind the bullet. The M1895 has a mechanism which, as the hammer is cocked, first turns the cylinder and then moves it forward, closing the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. The cartridge, also unique, plays an important part in sealing the gun to the escape of propellant gases. The bullet is deeply seated, entirely within the cartridge case, and the case is slightly reduced in diameter at its mouth. The barrel features a short conical section at its rear; this accepts the mouth of the cartridge, completing the gas seal. By sealing the gap, the velocity of the bullet is increased by 50 to 150 ft/s (15 to 45 m/s).

I'm picturing how you would make such a thing. It would be entirely possible. But as to why someone would want a Revolver in .410 is beyond me. That is unless they have a hankerin' for some wrist punishment.

ADD:
The Judge was made to fend off carjackers. Look what it does to a Shoot 'n See. Dunno what it's like, but since it only shoots .410/.45LC, I wouldn't think it's that bad.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Wark_Ento
OberFeldwebel

Oh ok.

copypaste

ADD:
The Judge was made to fend off carjackers. Look what it does to a Shoot 'n See. Dunno what it's like, but since it only shoots .410/.45LC, I wouldn't think it's that bad.

eek .45 LC ?
I want any revolver that's in that caliber.
... I seem to have forgotten what other ones were.
THEY MAKE IT IN BLUED!!! OMG! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:23 am
I heard of the Judge, but I thought it was just .45. Guess I have to pay closer attention. sweatdrop  

Man of the Demoneye

Krilliad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 am
They featured it on a show I saw, but they called it the Jerry xD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Wark_Ento
OberFeldwebel

Oh ok.

copypaste

ADD:

I'm in.  

Crash Maniac

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm
Fresnel
It's a Taurus Judge.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/AZJohn/J-1pb.jpg

It has a Springfield Armory stamp on it, though.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh152/Fresnel149/brand.gif

Holy cow, they DO exist! : D

Fresnel

Caseless rounds are, so far, a failure. The lack of a casing means there's no reason to have an ejection port. There's nothing to eject. Unfortunately, that port is a major ventilation point. Without it, the gun, and rounds inside it, overheat and fire off inside the magazine, and the gun becomes a claymore.

I was about to suggest that maybe with caseless rounds the ejection port could just be cosmetic...but then there's the dirt problem, assuming the gun is used in combat. Darn, you're right. D:

OberFeldwebel

THEY MAKE IT IN BLUED!!! OMG!

What's are the differences between colored shotgun shells? The only color I've seen them in is red. And are all reds 12-g, or can they be 10-g as well?

Thanks for the seal-revolver info, by the way. I appreciate it. biggrin So how would a gas-operated revolver work compared to a sealed one? Do they not have the small gap between the cylinder and barrel?

Fresnel

That is brutal. XD What is .45 LC?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm
Wark_Ento

.45Long Colt. It is just another .45cal pistol round, it isn't too popular anymore. It came from the old days when Bigger was Better.  

Freak_090
Captain

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:16 pm
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

.45Long Colt. It is just another .45cal pistol round, it isn't too popular anymore. It came from the old days when Bigger was Better.

Oh okay, so .45 LC is a neglected revolver caliber. What is most common for revolvers nowadays?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:13 pm
Wark_Ento
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

Oh okay, so .45 LC is a neglected revolver caliber. What is most common for revolvers nowadays?

.38 and .357 are the most popular.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm
Wark_Ento
What's are the differences between colored shotgun shells? The only color I've seen them in is red. And are all reds 12-g, or can they be 10-g as well?
I think the color indicates the load. Red is birdshot, yellow is target load (I think), blue is buckshot, OD green is a slug, white/clear are custom rounds, and orange is dragonsbreath.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff