Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Soul Calibur IV

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:56 pm
I finally got this a few days ago, for the PS3 (Mainly for Darth vader) and I have found it to be awesome. My opinion follows.

The Good: Great gameplay all around. I ave no idea if it is balanced (People are saying it is, but it'll be a few months before thats officially determined) and the graphics are great. Bunch of re-done characters, plus a good deal of new bonus characters, all drawn by manga artists. The character custimazation really makes this game shine. It a thousand times better than the last games custimazation system, do to it being a lot more realistic, when it comes to the characters. In the last game, when you made a character, you could easily tell your character didn't really fit with the other characters. This version utilizes the same items and weapons that other mai ncharacters can use, so if you have no imagination, you could make a nightmare look alike easily. Of course, there are equipment pieces that deviate. You can change the pitch of one of like 10 voices, and make your character incredibly muscular, or small and wimpy. If your a girl you'll either have enormous breasts and a big a**, or no curves at all. God I love this game.

The Bad: Not a whole lot of bad. They really only added like 5 new characters, and gay enough when you make your custom characters you can't use the Bonus character's weapon styles. One girl had awesome dual samurai swords, but no. You'll have to make do with one samurai sword. They really dummed down the story mode as well. In the previous game, it would tell you that characters story thus far (Which it does in 4 as well), but along your travels it would continue to reveal more pieces of the story, even if somewhat generic. The only real story is at the end when you finally kill the cheating sack of s**t, or as they call him the last boss. Also, the star wars characters are pointless. Yeah, I do enjoy playing as darth Vader and Force choking the douche who calls himself the last boss, but still. Vader is pretty slow, and i have yet to find a good way to get any rhythm with the character. The apprentice, on the other hand is amazingly fast, and he can kick a**. But still, no really important story here. And the game leaves open a block for the star wars character you didn't get, which just pisses me off when I see it, because they haven't even put the b*****d up for download yet.

The 44D: Namco has an obsession with huge Tits.

I would give the game and 8/10 or 8.5/10. Anyone else played it yet, or have any thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:23 pm
Cool. I'm not surprised. Looks like SF4 is actually going to be on the PC, and this game is nothing that amazing (solid, but not that amazing)  

nitnit
Captain

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:24 pm
Yeah I pretty much agree with what you say. But also I don't like how they have to "artificially" make things hard. Like, fight 4 enemies in a row without recovery! Wow, can't you just make me fight one guy with really tough AI?

I like the customization too, but I hate having to unlock the stuff and some things aren't that great. For guys there's mostly armor... all I want is a normal looking jacket. And there's stuff like a bow quill thing under the shirt list, so I can either have a shirt or a bow quill.... what if I want both dammit?!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Pay Per Cuts
Yeah I pretty much agree with what you say. But also I don't like how they have to "artificially" make things hard. Like, fight 4 enemies in a row without recovery! Wow, can't you just make me fight one guy with really tough AI?

I like the customization too, but I hate having to unlock the stuff and some things aren't that great. For guys there's mostly armor... all I want is a normal looking jacket. And there's stuff like a bow quill thing under the shirt list, so I can either have a shirt or a bow quill.... what if I want both dammit?!

Lol yeah, I thought the same thing. When I started story mode for the first time and found myself fighting 3 people, I said "WTF." I remember enjoying those hard fights later on in story mode from SC3.

Soul caliber never has any normal jackets, which is gay. You have to wear like robes and stuff. I tried putting on the Oni mask with the death cloak, and the game said there was no way that was happening. You have to unlock all of the crap with the tower mode, and some of the challenges ar gay/easy/annoying. Or you find yourself saying, How the F**k was I supposed to figure that out for myself?  

Deathguiser

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:47 pm
The guest artist characters are all clones though, like the dual katana girl is a Cervantes clone. But, yeah it would have been cool to use their weapons.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:04 pm
Vader will destroy all with the force.  

MaverickX516

O.G. Entrepreneur

7,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 am
Im definately buying Soulcalibur 4 when i have the money. ive played and owned all of them but my wallets running a little thin sweatdrop
but when i get it i guess Vader will be DLC for the xbox and i can have them all from the get go. I cant wait to play the game in its current next gen graphics and cant wait to pwn will Voldo. At the moment im playing Soulcalibur from the XBLA to give me some content without SC4  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:10 pm
Haven't gotten it yet but plan to. I think Darth Vader is going to be a Download on 360 and Yoda will be available for download on PS3. Least... that is what I heard... ninja  

H Falcon

4,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

The_Hbot

5,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 pm
I WANT IT!

Is Chronicles Mode in SC4?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:17 pm
No. It wasn't a really great mode anyway XD  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:53 am
It was a lot more interesting than the normal 1 player mode after 3 play throughs...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:40 am
do any of you know how playing with yoda feels like, is he good or is he bad?  

Korean Kracker II

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:02 pm
Korean Kracker II
do any of you know how playing with yoda feels like, is he good or is he bad?

He can't be grabbed or hit by high attacks so some people say he's cheap. Though his attacks are weak and stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:24 pm
I was disappointed when the Story Mode was shortened. You can't even choose your own paths anymore, which was my favorite part in SC3. Arcade Mode is a little more challenging, and I am addicted to the Tower of Lost Souls (even though I'm stuck at 21-23 ascending).

Can't wait for Yahtzee to review this. whee  

JunkKirby

Korean Kracker II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:05 pm
man there is a bunch of punks on the live
people just keep on doing the same move when they are losing.
that makes the game boring when people don't even uses combos and different moves
i'm never playing this thing online again stressed  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff