Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Thinking of Trading My DS Lite in for a PSP Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Clitical Hit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 am
Warning, assload of fragmented sentences and questions ahead:
All I have to trade/sell in is an (almost) mint condition white DS Lite with a brand new copy of Civilization: Revolution that I bought less than a month ago. (The DS itself I've had since it was released, I had a phat DS before that, which I got when it was released.) The people at the Gamestop I go to know me, and might let me get a full refund for Civ. I've got $45 credit on top of that, and with that $20 extra deal for trading in a system they've got going atm, I think that totals up to about $150, assuming the DS is $60 normally and $80 with the deal.
Things that are luring me towards the PSP is the fact that it's easy to crack, whereas with the DS you have to buy an R4, which are only available online and risk getting ripped off. People talk about games that they buy a system for, and for me I think it would be Patapon in this case. It looks great, and I've heard great things about it.

Now, the questions:
How much should I expect to spend for a used PSP Slim from Gamestop?
What about an original PSP? Is the Slim worth the extra cost?
What kind of memory card would you recommend to buy with the PSP, since I'm pretty sure used ones don't come with one?
And, finally: Anyone recommend against this? The DS is starting to bore me, I think I'm growing out of the types of games that are being made for it. I thought CivRev would be an exception, but it's just too watered down for my tastes. Civ IV is way better. sweatdrop

Please stay on topic.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:17 am
Uhm. If Civ Revolution is your only DS game, then obviously you're going to hate the DS. Seriously though, the PSP has nothing that impressive other than its non gaming uses / ability to be hacked. Just go buy some good games for the DS.  

nitnit
Captain

Clitical Hit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:40 pm
nitnit
Uhm. If Civ Revolution is your only DS game, then obviously you're going to hate the DS. Seriously though, the PSP has nothing that impressive other than its non gaming uses / ability to be hacked. Just go buy some good games for the DS.

I thought it would have been obvious that CivRev is not the only game I've ever played for the DS. Here's an incomplete list just off the top of my head:

Super Mario DS
Mario Kart DS
AW: DS
AW: DoR
Nintendogs: Lab
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time
AC: WW
Age of Empires: Age of Kings
Final Fantasy 3  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:45 pm
Well, you should have provided that list earlier xp

Anyways, many of those games are solid titles, there are obviously a few more that you're missing out on (FF4, FFTA2 come to mind), but if that selection doesn't satisfy you, then I'm not really sure what you're expecting to get from the PSP that will be any better.  

nitnit
Captain

Clitical Hit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:23 pm
Well, at the very least I expect games that will be new and fun and best of all, free *coughROMScough* (Note that I've never owned a PS2, so just about all of these are new titles to me.)

Looking through the PSP top rated games on Gamespot, here's a quick list of games I'd definitely be willing to at the least give a try;

Crisis Core: FF7 (Though I've never played the original.)
Patapon
Daxter
Secret Agent Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Lumines
Wipeout Pure
Sid Meier's Pirates!
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Lumines II
SSX on Tour
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Tokobot
FFT: War of the Lions
Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
Me and My Katamari

This is far from a complete list, and the fact that looking the top 50 or so games of the PSP and seeing more games that look interesting to me than the total amount of games I've found to be worthwhile on the DS is a definite factor in me wanting to do this. If anyone has anything comments about the games on this list, please do so.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Eh, honestly, very few of those games look like they are actually worth spending any money on.  

nitnit
Captain

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:41 pm
I don't buy a lot of PSP games (Considering a lot of them just suck, this is the only situation where nintendo wins in terms of titles sweatdrop ) But I can say Crisis Core, God of War Chains of Olympus, FF tactics, and star wars battle front renegade squadron are all fun/ enjoyable. You might also look into: Disgaea: afternoon of darkness, Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, SOCOM games, etc. I have these games and they last a while.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Thanks for the advice. And, like I've stated, I really won't be spending any money on this after buying the system itself and a memory card. ninja I figure I might as well give them a try if they're free.  

Clitical Hit!

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:43 pm
Well you can get R4's kind of cheap now a days, uhh not that I would know. But if there's more games on the PSP that interest you, go with that.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Clitical Hit!
Thanks for the advice. And, like I've stated, I really won't be spending any money on this after buying the system itself and a memory card. ninja I figure I might as well give them a try if they're free.

If you're going to pirate your games why even bother buying the system?  

nitnit
Captain

Clitical Hit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 pm
nitnit
Clitical Hit!

If you're going to pirate your games why even bother buying the system?

So I can play them like they're meant to be played? I dislike computer based emulators, the controls are always whacky and I have a macbook, which can barely run WoW on minimum settings.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:21 pm
Oh. I actually prefer a PC emulator for PSP games since the PSP itself has a terrible control scheme and I can fully customize it myself on my laptop...  

nitnit
Captain

Chernabog Is My Homeboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 am
Don't do it. Keep the DS, and put the store credit towards a copy of Chrono Trigger.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 am
davidispikachu
Don't do it. Keep the DS, and put the store credit towards a copy of Chrono Trigger.

This man speaks the truth.  

nitnit
Captain

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49 am
whens crono tirgger coming out? I really want to get that.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff