Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Non-bending Christian Friends

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

violeteyes77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 pm
Okay, so all of my friends are Christians (except for one who doesn't believe in anything at the moment) and I've been trying to see their view on Wicca without giving anything away that I want to study it. So far all I've gotten out of them was they thought it was wrong and it was Satanism... Even when I explained to them that I read about it and know it has nothing to do with that they wouldn't budge. See, I don't want to tell them my interest in Wicca unless I know they'll be okay with it (I've lost too many friends already due to me not taking them using me for homework help).

I really want to get into Wicca for it has made so much sense to me and it has always seemed to call to me. What can I do to make them understand it's really not a bad thing so I can study this religion without losing every friend I have?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:08 am
Well, it's your religion and you don't have to tell anyone about it if you don't want to. If you'd rather not bring it up, you're not required to bring it up. Your religion isn't really anyone else's business. Besides, you can always tell them at a later date if you choose to do so... but if you tell them now, you can't take it back.

On the other hand, you may be going about this in the wrong order. They might be more open to the idea that the may have been misinformed if someone they care about is actually into it. The idea with some prejudices is that one tends to think about it in an "us" and "them" sort of deal. When it turns out that one of "us" is actually one of "them", it can mean they have to re-assess their beliefs about that group. They think "huh, if someone I respect is into it, maybe my ideas about it weren't sufficiently informed". I mean, they're your friends. Your religion shouldn't be an issue.

Either way, you're not saying "I'm a Wiccan", you're saying "hey, I'm interested in Wicca". They can't disown you for researching something, right?

If in doubt, steer them in the direction of Religious tolerance.org.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

violeteyes77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 am
Thanks! I do have one more dilemma, though. I know I'm young, but I have a boyfriend that I think really is the one (we've been together for over a year now) and I haven't talked about this to him. Should I tell him or just try to see what he thinks about the subject? I really want this relationship to last, so I really want him to accept this.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:38 pm
I would see how he feels about the subject first before springing it on him. Having said this though, I definitely feel that if you are going to be committed to someone (especially if you are considering marriage, etc...) that you should be honest about your beliefs. While the relationship may not end up working out because of it (not saying that this is the case all the time), more often than not, if you lie about it or try to hide it - it will only be worse if they find out later on. It's better to find out now, then after you've been married for several years (and/or have kids), and suddenly your hubby is looking at you like your the spawn of Satan.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

violeteyes77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:00 pm
Thanks! Hopefully he's more understanding than my friends, because I actually think this relationship will work out... So I'll post to tell you what happens and maybe this will all be okay! He is pretty open-minded about stuff, but I've never really discussed religions with him, so...  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games