Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
A+ student...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does she deserve her high GPA?
  Maybe she should just take math: unfortunately, that requires English too.
  Of course, it was an honest mistake... -rolls eyes-
  Yes, I'm totally jealous of her being an A+ student.
View Results

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:00 pm

What irks me about the whole thing is how she makes those two mistakes in the statement she makes.

The following statement is made boldly in a Gaian's profile:

"I love kittens! And I am an A+ Student! yea your jelous! ok yea bye "

Apparently, grammar isn't in the curriculum at her school

My profile comment to her was as follows:
"Please, for the love of English language and the sake of "A" students everywhere correct your statement:
"I love kittens! And I am an A+ Student! yea your jelous! ok yea bye"
It should be, "I love kittens! I am an A+ student! Yea, you're jealous! Okay, yea, bye."
I know your "jelous" was corrected for you, but please can't you fix your use of "you are" too? Please? Trust me, it looks bad and detracts from your statement. Then again, maybe English isn't too big of a deal at your school."

Please note that she was corrected earlier by another Gaian for her misspelling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:45 pm
That is quite astonishing to me to see that an "A" student would type that. o_O

Even I, an A student, would type out my statements and such correctly ( and try to in a medieval-ish fashion for some reason sweatdrop )

And sorry to bug you about this, but I'm pretty sure the word "yea" is actually "yeah". sweatdrop  

Swell Sundae

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:01 pm
The Evil Lord Sunday

Even I, an A student, would type out my statements and such correctly ( and try to in a medieval-ish fashion for some reason sweatdrop )

And sorry to bug you about this, but I'm pretty such the word "yea" is actually "yeah". sweatdrop

Yes, I am sure you are correct about the "yeah" thing, but I figure focus on fixing the worst of the girls mistakes. Then there is the problem I never could figure out how to spell the word, because yeah isn't exactly a real word. sweatdrop I find myself typing out "yes" and "okay" to save me the trouble of getting involved in the debate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:42 pm
mc2
The Evil Lord Sunday

And sorry to bug you about this, but I'm pretty sure the word "yea" is actually "yeah". sweatdrop

Yes, I am sure you are correct about the "yeah" thing, but I figure focus on fixing the worst of the girls mistakes. Then there is the problem I never could figure out how to spell the word, because yeah isn't exactly a real word. sweatdrop I find myself typing out "yes" and "okay" to save me the trouble of getting involved in the debate.

You're definitely right upon the "yeah/yea" debate. I have a friend on gaia who keeps telling me that the word "yeah" is spelt as "yea", and she's a "txt tlkr". I have been trying to rid this friend, and she's off my friend list... however she won't stop PMing me on certain days. :/ Such debate destroys relationships for me ._.  

Swell Sundae

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 am
The Evil Lord Sunday
mc2
The Evil Lord Sunday

You're definitely right upon the "yeah/yea" debate. I have a friend on gaia who keeps telling me that the word "yeah" is spelt as "yea", and she's a "txt tlkr". I have been trying to rid this friend, and she's off my friend list... however she won't stop PMing me on certain days. :/ Such debate destroys relationships for me ._.
Indeed, the whole problem of "yeah/yea" all stems from the ussage of a word that technically doesn't exist. Personally, I just let my "txt tlk" friends go within reason, as they are friends from real life, but I do point out their "txt tlk." Usually, I say somewhere in the first five minutes, "You do know that..." After that, they try to not drive me too bonkers with their "txt tlk."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 am
The Evil Lord Sunday
mc2
The Evil Lord Sunday

Yeah, one of my friends was PMing me a bunch of "HOOPLAH!" in "txt tlk", and I threatened to send her off my friends list. Yet, she replied and said, (IN TEXT TALK!!!) "ok geez u dont hav to kick me off ur buddy list" But, I didn't, considering she is my best friend in real life since 3rd grade when I introduced her into anime and we both became anime freaks. (Our first anime was Azumanga Daioh, not too okay for 7 year olds.) xD  

Honeydukes Lover

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:31 pm
How can you boast about being an A student, and, in the same breath, prove yourself to have the IQ of a typical three year old?

Some things I will never understand.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:55 pm
Nicholas Kaze
How can you boast about being an A student, and, in the same breath, prove yourself to have the IQ of a typical three year old?

There are MANY things more that can bring one into the perplexed state of ********. It's contradiction incarnate, an oxymoron brought to life, a piece of irony on two legs!

Or in the terms of the educated commoners, a dumb intellectual.  

Natsuri

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 am
Natsuri
Nicholas Kaze

There are MANY things more that can bring one into the perplexed state of ********. It's contradiction incarnate, an oxymoron brought to life, a piece of irony on two legs!

Or in the terms of the educated commoners, a dumb intellectual.

Yes, but by using "dumb intellectual" you are still using an oxymoron to describe the irony; however, I do not see any other way to describe the irony of the girl's statement.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:23 pm
Nicholas Kaze

Well...

Maybe she's a 3 year old with letter grades, who said she was 13 to get a gaia account? =3

It could happen...

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am
clara33
Nicholas Kaze

Well...

Maybe she's a 3 year old with letter grades, who said she was 13 to get a gaia account? =3

It could happen...

True, but then again I don't think letter grades are necessarily the best indicator of intelligence. There are some people who don't worry about grades, and thus occasionally get the B, while sometimes those with all As are working like mad to get them and never have a real life.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 am
My sister's friend would have smacked her with a dictionary, and forced her to read it all.  

Wiianddsfan

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:16 pm
It really does not merit thinking about. Yes, sometimes letter grades are not an indication of intelligence, but for my money, if you're going to say 'I'm an A student' to make yourself sound smarter (whether true or not), you really should spell your sentence correctly. And use Grammar check.

Maybe she is really a three year old. Maybe this is all a conspiracy. It IS an oxymoron, and I do not feel up to the mental gymnastics it would take to figure it out.

If you need me, I shall be relaxing somewhere quiet with an alchoholic beverage. It's this thing I do when it's all too much. cheese_whine  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:00 pm
@ Nicholas Kaze: - sigh - I think you're right. She is a three-year-old. T-T  

Farrago

Proxy Codger

"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out