Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
Silent Films. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KimberleyJane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:22 pm
I've really got into them again.

Any others here that like them? What are your faves? Could you recommend me some?

My favourites (actually, two of my favourite films regardless) are The Unknown and The Man Who Laughs.

:}

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 pm
we used to watch them all the time in social studies and they are halarious!!!!!!!!!!!!  

coasteraddict02

birdman27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:34 am
the chaplin movies are comedy gold  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:39 am

I used to watch quite a few of the comedies :} - but recently not so much :{.
(City Lights, The Circus, The Kid Brother, The Freshman, College, Steamboat Bill Jr. - they were my faves.)
I did watch a Buster Keaton film a few days ago though smile !
Oooo! And I have been watching a few Mary Pickford films - she was quite funny.
:]

KimberleyJane

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 pm
The 3 stoodges i use to watch them over at the old mans house!!!! all the kids from the town wuld go there to watch old films on a friday night LOL. hahaha thats pretty funny i member it soo clearly and i was real little  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 pm
I don't really watch them.  

Ursaula

Milady D

8,150 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 pm
I saw an amazing silent film about Joan of Arc on TCM - had a very modern feel for something made over 80 years ago! My favorite silent films usually star Buster Keaton, Valentino, Gloria Swanson or Lillian Gish. She was an angel!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 am
MiladyDaniel
I saw an amazing silent film about Joan of Arc on TCM - had a very modern feel for something made over 80 years ago! My favorite silent films usually star Buster Keaton, Valentino, Gloria Swanson or Lillian Gish. She was an angel!

Legend. I heard that one was good - I'll have to catch it biggrin .
My most wanted list for silents atm consists of: My Best Girl, Fantomas, The Hands Of Orlac and The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse :}.
Did you happen to see Beyond The Rocks? I thought it was a bit of a let down - not a bad effort but not great either :{.

KimberleyJane

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:41 pm
Though I haven't seen it, I've heard that "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is supposed to be a great film. I'll be watching it in a few weeks in my Film class, so it can't be that bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:04 pm
RedWhiteBlack
Though I haven't seen it, I've heard that "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is supposed to be a great film. I'll be watching it in a few weeks in my Film class, so it can't be that bad.

Stunning. Conrad Veidt is a leg-end. He played Gwynplaine in The Man Who Laughs as well :'}.

KimberleyJane

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 am
KimberleyJane
RedWhiteBlack

Stunning. Conrad Veidt is a leg-end. He played Gwynplaine in The Man Who Laughs as well :'}.

Yes, I have to agree. I found a copy of "Caligari" on Google Video last night and watched it (Public Domain ftw). I've never been the biggest fan of silent movies as a narrative, but as a form of artistic expression, "Caligari" is definitely a great movie.

Have you seen FW Murnau's "Nosferatu"? Another good silent movie, though I hear you need to be careful with which version you watch - some of them have terrible scores. I watched it with a live symphony, and it was awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 am
RedWhiteBlack
KimberleyJane
RedWhiteBlack

Yes, I have to agree. I found a copy of "Caligari" on Google Video last night and watched it (Public Domain ftw). I've never been the biggest fan of silent movies as a narrative, but as a form of artistic expression, "Caligari" is definitely a great movie.

Have you seen FW Murnau's "Nosferatu"? Another good silent movie, though I hear you need to be careful with which version you watch - some of them have terrible scores. I watched it with a live symphony, and it was awesome.

Artistic expression's all well and good but I like good story myself :}
- partly why I'm not a massive fan of Nosferatu. Don't get me wrong, gorgeous looking film and enjoyable enough (&I can't remember what the score was like on the copy I saw but I do remember thinking it was very well done) - it's just I've never been much of a fan of the Dracula story.

(You reminded me - I need to finish watching Faust :O)

KimberleyJane

GilAskan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:47 pm
KimberleyJane

Had you not mentioned it, I'd have brought it up. Faust is my favorite Murnau film.

And now time to name drop the Golem trilogy.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 am
GilAskan
KimberleyJane

Had you not mentioned it, I'd have brought it up. Faust is my favorite Murnau film.

And now time to name drop the Golem trilogy.

D:! - Another I've yet to see!

(Btw & just in case - Does anyone happen to know if Warning Shadows is worth a watch?
I've read mixed reviews to say the least :/.)

KimberleyJane

Niran_Betta_Fish

Swashbuckling Man-Lover

37,190 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 am
I love The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis, and Modern Times.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff