druid?
  yes
  no
View Results

Braeden_attwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:29 pm
i hope there is gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:07 pm
Mmm, 'fraid not. At least me. Allthough I want to look into druidism at some point.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:01 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Allthough I want to look into druidism at some point.

I'm the same way. However class readings aren't leaving much room to research it. Too Many Irish folk talkes and legends just yet. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:35 pm
Someone might have listed themselves as Druid in the Intro. thread, but I'm not sure.  

Jameta
Captain

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:09 am
My brand of Paganism could be said to be "Druidic" in a non-historical sense (ie, is Druidic in the RP fantasy sense). Rather than piss off strict reconstructionalists or be pointed at as fluffy, I avoid ever using the term to describe myself, tough. There are those out there who believe anybody calling themselves a Druid is spouting out nonsense.

From what I've read of Druids (which isn't a lot), I tend to agree. They were central figures of the community and the wisdom of their people. Most people who call themselves Druids fail those qualifications, especially the young. Druidry isn't just about practice from what I understand, it's a role in your society; a role that doesen't really exist anymore in modern Western cultures. Consequently, you're better off going for Celtic recon than Druidry.

There is a Neo-Druid movement, pioneered by... Bonewitz I believe. I'm not sure how close it manages to get to the Celtic Druids; I suspect not too close. Might be worth checking out though.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:34 pm
If you're looking for good information about Druidic reconstructional practices, I recommend www.adf.org and the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. (I can't remember the actual webite addy, but if you google that, I'm sure you'll come up with something.)

Starlock is right that some people out there will pummel you for calling yourself a Druid because technically they don't exist anymore and where practically wiped out by the coming of Christianity. However, I personally feel that if you can take the heat calling yourself a Druid would cause because it honestly feels right to you and that's the knowledge you've been studying and that's what you're working towards, then go ahead. Just my .02$.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

blukattt
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:15 am
As far as calling one's self a "Druid":

True, most trad druids will not acknowledge you, if you are not following the specific path, but there is a different way of approaching it:

Most along a true shaman's path, will never call themselves "Shaman" (Until after decades, perhaps). Rather, they say "I follow a shaman's path.", or "I am shamanic", or something similar.

Perhaps you could say something similar? 3nodding I'm willing to wager that not only would you not get accosted for it, but you may even meet some trad druids that would respect you for it, and maybe even give you some wisdom in return...

Never know, I can see something like that happening. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:55 pm
blukattt
As far as calling one's self a "Druid":

True, most trad druids will not acknowledge you, if you are not following the specific path, but there is a different way of approaching it:

Most along a true shaman's path, will never call themselves "Shaman" (Until after decades, perhaps). Rather, they say "I follow a shaman's path.", or "I am shamanic", or something similar.

Perhaps you could say something similar? 3nodding I'm willing to wager that not only would you not get accosted for it, but you may even meet some trad druids that would respect you for it, and maybe even give you some wisdom in return...

Never know, I can see something like that happening. 3nodding
Shamanism, another path I need to look into. Mmm, journeys...  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

blukattt
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:36 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Shamanism, another path I need to look into. Mmm, journeys...

3nodding Yeah, I feel much more comfortable in shamanism than Wicca; for me, even Wicca is too restrained by "methods" and "guidelines".

Although I do not consider myself totally shamanic, it does have much influence on my personal trad.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games