Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Cleaning Guns Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:58 pm
Where can I find video instructions online for cleaning guns?

Also, how many times a day/week/month/year/whatever should a gun be cleaned?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm
You are supposed to clean a firearm after every shooting session/ trip to the range. If they have just been siting in a closet, I would say every 1-2 months.

Most people do what is known as a "Field Strip". Basically, you break the firearm down to its main components. You can find "How to" field stripping videos on youtube no problem.
Field strip and cleaning of aXD40 and an AR-15  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 am
I usually try to figure out how to field strip on my own. With no instructions.

So far I haven't requested assistance except for my 1911.
:/
But that was to remove the firing pin and a complete stripping down to the frame. sweatdrop

I wouldn't suggest anyone else to do this though. You may forget how to put it together.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 pm
Search You Tube for "____ Field Strip" and do what it says. Oil all the parts that move, and everything if you don't plan to do anything with it for a while. But don't put oil in the hole where the firing pin comes out of. When it's fired that can gum it up.  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:52 pm
I found some field stripping videos on google videos. You can try there if youtube fails.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:04 pm
Ok thanks guys! ^_^ Oh and where can I find good gun cleaning products?  

SharkieDraws

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:23 pm
Wark_Ento

Academy, Gander Mountain, Cabela's?

I personally use Break Free CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) It does the jobs, and It does them well. Other people wear by Hoppes, but I've never used it, so I can't comment on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:23 am
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

I personally use Break Free CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) It does the jobs, and It does them well. Other people wear by Hoppes, but I've never used it, so I can't comment on it.
For my AR, I've always used engine degreaser and a dry boresnake. ninja
Oh yeah, and carburetter cleaner on the bolt.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

Does it run smoother now? xd  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Wark_Ento

Like a dream. wink
Nothing like the smell of burning INOX to tell a man "yep, this gun was clean. You've just deflowered it. Kick a**."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 pm
My friend's grandpa has a cleaning kit for his .22 rifles, and he makes me clean the barrel after each session. Easy way to see if there's any residue in the barrel:

1. Empty the gun. Use cleaning kit
2. tear a strip off a piece of paper
3. open the bolt, and place the paper in so you can still see the breech.
4. position the rifle under a light source, so the light hits the paper. Look down the barrel, from the muzzle. You should be able to see the rifling, and the residue on it, if any.

Is you don't want to do all this, buy one of those lights with the flexible bodies and shine it down the breech. Then look down the barrel.

If you can see a bullet in the barrel, you didn't do Step 1. In which case, close the bolt and pull the trigger.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 am
Requiem6661
My friend's grandpa has a cleaning kit for his .22 rifles, and he makes me clean the barrel after each session. Easy way to see if there's any residue in the barrel:

4. position the rifle under a light source, so the light hits the paper. Look down the barrel, from the muzzle. You should be able to see the rifling, and the residue on it, if any.

Is you don't want to do all this, buy one of those lights with the flexible bodies and shine it down the breech. Then look down the barrel.

If you can see a bullet in the barrel, you didn't do Step 1. In which case, close the bolt and pull the trigger.
I've always done it the other way, but then again, I have a bolt-action. I pop out the bolt, aim the gun at a lightbulb, and you can see s**t clear as day. 'S how I came to discover that one run-through with a boresnake can clean an AR barrel of several hundred rounds of residue in a single pull.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 am
Fresnel
Requiem6661

I've always done it the other way, but then again, I have a bolt-action. I pop out the bolt, aim the gun at a lightbulb, and you can see s**t clear as day. 'S how I came to discover that one run-through with a boresnake can clean an AR barrel of several hundred rounds of residue in a single pull.

... I should get a boresnake. redface  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Requiem6661

... I should get a boresnake. redface
Oh god yes, I refuse to use anything else. Seriously, a cleaning job that would take thirty or forty patches with all the wet/dry/wet/dry bullshit now takes thirty seconds with a dry boresnake, and gives equal if not superior results. Also, a boresnake is physically incapable of damaging your muzzle, so long as you pull it through chamber-first. $14 is the average, but if you look around you can get them for $12 or even cheaper, though that's rare. But hey, I pinch pennies. You might not care about a couple bucks.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff