Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
A Clockwork Orange Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

McLenin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:21 am
Aright, who else has seen this cult classic? What's your opinion of it?

Also, for those who have read it, have you compared it to the book? If so, what are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:43 am
I haven't read it.. but the movie is amazing.

My friend recommended it to me. I remember staying up late at night the first time I watched it. When I started watching it I thought it was some regular horror film but this movie is a crazy dark comedy with real world problems.

It had me at the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how grotesque it is.. it's really unlike any film I've ever watched. When you watch it, its not really a movie you would think came out in 1971 with all the violence & rape it had in it. It's very interesting and very unique. Anthony Burgess is a satiric genius!

=D  

JanJiz

Obsessive Detective

12,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

McLenin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 am
JanJiz

My friend recommended it to me. I remember staying up late at night the first time I watched it. When I started watching it I thought it was some regular horror film but this movie is a crazy dark comedy with real world problems.

It had me at the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how grotesque it is.. it's really unlike any film I've ever watched. When you watch it, its not really a movie you would think came out in 1971 with all the violence & rape it had in it. It's very interesting and very unique. Anthony Burgess is a satiric genius!

=D

Good to see another fan ^__^ There was actually more violence and rape, when it was released in 69', but they edited it all out and re-released it in 71 *shifty* heh  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 pm
Ah... A Clockwork Orange. This is one of those movies that you have to see multiple times to truly understand and enjoy. It's like the sushi of cinema - it's an aquired taste. The first time I saw A Clockwork Orange I was like "WTF. What did I just watch?" Then I saw it a second time, and I was like "Alright, I understand now." And then after the third time, I was convinced that this was one of the best movies ever made.

But looking back now, and having just recently rewatched it again, I see that compared to other distopian future society movies, it seems to be lacking slightly. The book is definately amazing, and the satire is just astounding and mind blowing. But the movie seems to fall under the classic Kubrick pretension curse. I mean, don't get me wrong, Kubrick is a great filmmaker, and in his 40 year career he never made a bad movie, but I always find that his movies say "Yeah. We're being smart and provocative, and we know it." Kubrick was a filmmaker who was ahead of his times, and the industry should be thankful for the advances that he allowed.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 pm
I had to read the book my freshman year of college for a class. It's a very hard read, and I would recommend downloading and printing out a Nadsat dictionary before reading it. The book is written in Nadsat, which is the slang of the book. And when I say all of it, I mean all of it! If you don't have that printed out dictionary in front of you, you'll get to the end of the first paragraph and say to yourself, "what on earth did I just read?"

With that said, I am not suprised that Stanly Kubrick filmed it. Personally, I think he concentrated more on the sex of the film than the story. For example, when Alex takes the two girls back to his place and screws the heck out of them, that could have been taken out in exchange for something more pertinent to the story. He also added much more sex to the movie than was there in the book. All be it, there was sex and rape in the book, but Kubrick went overboard with the sex parts in the book. Watching that movie makes me wonder how many hard ons he would get on set.

I wasn't impressed.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:06 pm
JanJiz

=D

I haven't read it before either, but the movie rocks biggrin  

Ursaula

dollhex

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:11 pm
Wowzer this movie is so crazy!
i saw it when i was 10 or so ..it pretty much damaged me,now i can watch anything sick..with no real reaction.
"SINGING IN THE RAIN IM SINGING IN THE RAIN" hashhaaa
my fav part is when they try to reform the guy..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:39 am
I read the book over this past summer, but I still haven't seen the movie  

Jar City

Art_Lover_666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:55 pm
it's a good movie, but i need to see it again to truly understand it. and i need to be more awake.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:59 am
At first when I watched I just thought that it was overrated... then I couldn't stop thinking about it... the undertones and all that... now I feel a strong need to see it again 3nodding
(I think I was just being negative because my dad said it was great) stare

I haven't read it though, probably should since a movie based on a book rearly is as good as the book  

Mara Ruizu

Ishachanmeow

Headstrong Bookworm

19,050 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:49 am
Thank you Stanley for one of the best movies ever made!! I'll never look at the song 'Singing in the Rain' the same way blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm
I read the book then watched it.

The movie was amazing. Visually, it was stunning and it turned out to be a (mostly) true adaption. Though I understand why they changed it for moviegoers. Some of the book was too ghastly to put on screen.

I still feel the book was better. Its definitely more encompassing since its written entirely in nadsat (the slang Alex uses throughout the film). It just sucks you in like the movie can't.  

Is People

Atomic Pixie7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm
I saw the movie like over 20 years ago and HATED it! I would never watch it again! A friend gave it to my daughter for her 20th birthday recently, I warned her and sure enough they watched it and couldn't even stay awake to finish watching it. They both thought it was lame and never did finish it. In fact they were kind of dumbfounded by it, so was I when I saw it all those years ago. It's the kind of movie that can scar a person. eek  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 pm
I hated it. It's truly disgusting and repulsive. I found it truly offensive in just about every way.
I bought it on dvd I think about 2000 or 2001 just because there were so many good recommendations for it and because of Malcolm McDowell. I watched it once. Then I immediately sold it. At least I made a profit off of it.

I've never been a Kubrick fan and never will be.

Oh. And one of my all time fave movies is...

You guessed it. Singin' in the Rain.  

cteddiesgirl

loIitoads

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 am
cteddiesgirl
I hated it. It's truly disgusting and repulsive. I found it truly offensive in just about every way.
I bought it on dvd I think about 2000 or 2001 just because there were so many good recommendations for it and because of Malcolm McDowell. I watched it once. Then I immediately sold it. At least I made a profit off of it.

I've never been a Kubrick fan and never will be.

To be honest, if art was afraid of being offensive, it would never get anywhere. Films like Singing in the Rain have little artistic value compared to something like A Clockwork Orange. That said, I am not a Kubrick fan either, I think he gets too much adoration for his work. Films like Spartacus have actually aged badly.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff