Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Steph's Response to leaked M.S. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

6vampire6mistress6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 pm
If you haven't seen her site recently, OR don't know what's been up, Midnight Sun was leaked but someone. Finally, she has a response.

As some of you may have heard, my partial draft of Midnight Sun was illegally posted on the Internet and has since been virally distributed without my knowledge or permission or the knowledge or permission of my publisher.

I have a good idea of how the leak happened as there were very few copies of Midnight Sun that left my possession and each was unique. Due to little changes I made to the manuscript at different times, I can tell when each left my possession and to whom it was given. The manuscript that was illegally distributed on the Internet was given to trusted individuals for a good purpose. I have no comment beyond that as I believe that there was no malicious intent with the initial distribution.

I did not want my readers to experience Midnight Sun before it was completed, edited and published. I think it is important for everybody to understand that what happened was a huge violation of my rights as an author, not to mention me as a human being. As the author of the Twilight Saga, I control the copyright and it is up to the owner of the copyright to decide when the books should be made public; this is the same for musicians and filmmakers. Just because someone buys a book or movie or song, or gets a download off the Internet, doesn't mean that they own the right to reproduce and distribute it. Unfortunately, with the Internet, it is easy for people to obtain and share items that do not legally belong to them. No matter how this is done, it is still dishonest. This has been a very upsetting experience for me, but I hope it will at least leave my fans with a better understanding of copyright and the importance of artistic control.

So where does this leave Midnight Sun? My first feeling was that there was no way to continue. Writing isn't like math; in math, two plus two always equals four no matter what your mood is like. With writing, the way you feel changes everything. If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die, which wouldn't dovetail too well with the original story. In any case, I feel too sad about what has happened to continue working on Midnight Sun, and so it is on hold indefinitely.

I'd rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun. It was only an incomplete draft; the writing is messy and flawed and full of mistakes. But how do I comment on this violation without driving more people to look for the illegal posting? It has taken me a while to decide how and if I could respond. But to end the confusion, I've decided to make the draft available here (at the end of this message on the Midnight Sun page). This way, my readers don't have to feel they have to make a sacrifice to stay honest. I hope this fragment gives you further insight into Edward's head and adds a new dimension to the Twilight story. That's what inspired me to write it in the first place.

I do want to take a moment and thank the wonderful fans who have been so supportive of me over the past three years. I cannot begin to tell you how much each of you means to me. I only hope this note will stop all the confusion and online speculation so that the Twilight universe can once again become the happy escape it used to be. After this incredibly busy year, I am now focusing on spending more time with my family and working on some other writing projects.

--Stephenie

So, SHE knows who it is now and will find out why they did it. I highly doubt she will ever tell who was the culprit, which I guess is her way of saying "It's none of your business kiddo's!!"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm
Hm. This really sucks.

:/

I really wanted to see the ending of Twilight in Edwards perspective! So much for that happening anytimeee soon, or ever. :[

oh well, i guess.

Jellycones

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 am
Uhh! This makes me so angry!
I really wanted to read that book, I was so excited for it, and now I don't think she's going to continue . . .

It really breaks my heart that someone would do that, and from reading that response, she thinks the person didn't do it on purpose (right? Or was it with no harm meant?) but still.

I'm really sad for Stephenie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 am
I still think is was Rob.

Anyway, now I am all sad inside. I feel so sorry for Stephenie. She seemed so excited for Midnight Sun and now she doesn't really want to write it anymore. I was excited, too.

I don't even know how far she got, and I want to read Edward's POV in the meadow.

Poor Steph.

Pubic Genital Lice

Hilarious Humorist

vivianna-a01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:24 am
This really sucks.

It sucks for the author and for the fans because we were all so excited for the release of Midnight Sun.

I really wanted to read Edward's perspective in the airport when he first realized where Bella was and what she was doing (to go see James). sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 am
... a part of me wants her to keep writing just so i can see what it will be like if james wins.... if she wrote it in a sarcastic tone... it would be kinda funny. but then she wrote that its put off indefinatly... now im sad...
damn who ever did this to us!!!
A part of me just wants to send her something like "im sorry for your loss" get well type card...

I wish i were the leading type, then i would do a fund raiser and get steph something really nice to boost her spirits and make her happier....

Maybe we can email her with a list of all the ppl in this guild saying how sorry we are or something.. i just want to do something for her.. am i crazy for that???

SOM3BODii TOLD M3

piercing_golden_eyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 am
This makes me really upset when she said she was almost crying, I was freaking bawling my eyes out! And I could tell she knew who leaked it, and now I'm curious to who it was... But I started reading it anyways, but I got halfway through Chapter 2(I'd already read Chapter1) and I just couldn't bring myself to finish the rest. I got to the end of chapter 2, and now I've just stopped. And I would love to do something for Stephenie because I know she's all changed our lives, and I would love to show her how much it means to us that she writes. I'd also like to find out who did this and rip them into a million shreds and burn them. Lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 am
this is sooo sad
i cant believe someone would do that
and now twilight fans have nothing to look forward to interms of books
when i read this i was soo pissed
i hope stephenie decides to continue for the sake of her other fans
all our hopes crushed because of a few peoples actions
not fair, but who said lifes fair
im sorry for you stephenie

Mistyflower

500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

RisSohma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:47 am
Im honestly disappointed in Meyer... I understand that she isnt in a good frame of mind, but then why doesn't she just take a break? I do sympathize... but at the same time, she made a commitment and is letting us down confused  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am
SOM3BODii TOLD M3
... a part of me wants her to keep writing just so i can see what it will be like if james wins.... if she wrote it in a sarcastic tone... it would be kinda funny. but then she wrote that its put off indefinatly... now im sad...
damn who ever did this to us!!!
A part of me just wants to send her something like "im sorry for your loss" get well type card...

I wish i were the leading type, then i would do a fund raiser and get steph something really nice to boost her spirits and make her happier....

Maybe we can email her with a list of all the ppl in this guild saying how sorry we are or something.. i just want to do something for her.. am i crazy for that???

I KNOW! Me too!
I feel like it's kind of my responsibility to like send her an email or something . . . I found myself writing it in my head when I was trying to sleep last night . . .

I was really excited for this book, more excited for it than Breaking Dawn, and I really, really hope she does decide to continue it sometime in the near future.

Yeah, so if someone decides to do something, call me up!

.Bucket.of.Joy.

Jellycones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:18 pm
Pubic Genital Lice
I still think is was Rob.

Anyway, now I am all sad inside. I feel so sorry for Stephenie. She seemed so excited for Midnight Sun and now she doesn't really want to write it anymore. I was excited, too.

I don't even know how far she got, and I want to read Edward's POV in the meadow.

Poor Steph.
I still think it's Rob too. Because she said something about how the person she gave it to, who leaked it out..was given to that person for a good reason. And what better reason then to get into character as Edward? Haha. I don't know..and I don't think we will ever find out. =( Unless whoever did it makes a public apology like on youtube or something. =P  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 pm
Yeah, i feel bad for her D':
well, she might not be finishing it for a while, but at least she gave us the first 12 chapters. I don't know how i feel about reading it, but it was her gift to us as an apology. I am still debating on actually reading it though. It was released for bad purposes and i hate the person who released it. They might not have done it on purpose, but someone who was given it to them by stephenie meyer obviously had her trust, and had no right to show it to anyone else. If she wanted it shown, she would have released it already. Well, i hope whoever did it is full of guilt and is miserable right now. They better hide under a rock, because i'm gonna hunt them down. Who's with me? *grabs pitchforks and torches*

oh and if you do want to read it, here's the link...(although i don't know why you would)
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partialdraft2.pdf  

vanny_jae

Aqua Anjel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 pm
vanny_jae
well, she might not be finishing it for a while, but at least she gave us the first 12 chapters. I don't know how i feel about reading it, but it was her gift to us as an apology. I am still debating on actually reading it though. It was released for bad purposes and i hate the person who released it. They might not have done it on purpose, but someone who was given it to them by stephenie meyer obviously had her trust, and had no right to show it to anyone else. If she wanted it shown, she would have released it already. Well, i hope whoever did it is full of guilt and is miserable right now. They better hide under a rock, because i'm gonna hunt them down. Who's with me? *grabs pitchforks and torches*

oh and if you do want to read it, here's the link...(although i don't know why you would)

You feel bad and still you're going to post the freakin link that did this to us in the first place? mad

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE IN YOUR WORLD, WOMAN?!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm
okay, so is stephenie going to ever finish Midnight Sun? is her mind completely made up? or is she taking a break? that wasnt entirely clear to me...and since she did post it herself on the site, doesnt that give us a right to read it without feeling guilty? its not as if WE were the ones searching for an illegal copy. i think that she posted it as kind of an apology to us who didnt do anything wrong. what do you guys think? and yes, we should definately do something for her. does anyone know the email adress that we can reach her at?  

fancy-painted-boats-

Jellycones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 pm
Aqua Anjel
vanny_jae

You feel bad and still you're going to post the freakin link that did this to us in the first place? mad

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE IN YOUR WORLD, WOMAN?!
If you look where the link came from..it came from Stephenie Meyer herself...she posted it in her blog so people who wanted to stay faithful to her, but still read midnight sun they could because SHE published it online.  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff