Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Esbats

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:41 pm
I'm interested in maybe incorporating "esbats" or basic moon rituals into my personal practice, so I'm sounding different people to see how they celebrate.

What sort of rituals do you use? Do you celebrate the full moon, the new moon, or both?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:25 pm
Does dancing around in the light of a full moon count?  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:51 pm
Esselean
Does dancing around in the light of a full moon count?

Ahahaha... depends. Are you naked? wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:28 am
While my Full Moon rituals are fairly freestyle, they've generally taken to having certain common elements.

I start off with something to get me in the right mindset be it for a Full Moon or other ritual. That might be a formal circle casting, it might be a ritual bath, it might be a meditation... it might be all three depending on what I feel like doing. Or it might be none of them if I'm already in the right mindset to start off.

I'll typically reflect upon what has transpired over the past Moonth and whether or not I've achieved any goals set earlier. Any major changes are noted and acknowledged. Then I'll set new goals and just generally take a look at what's to come in the next Moonth. Often tied in with this is some sort of contemplation of the significance of the time of year and how it relates to what I'm going through now (or in the near past and near future).

I also always incorporate some sort of reading. There's a specific book I've been using for this for the time being which has short stories in it about the mythology of Moon Spirit. I read one of those tales and contemplate what it means... how it relates to the bigger picture and all. Right now the tales I'm reading are all about specific moon Deities.

Then I close. Sometimes formally, more often informally.  

Starlock

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:00 pm
For the the Esbat is the most important ritual for Wicca. There was times that I celebrated it alone, just me, my Altar and the Goddess. Other times, I played my flute to the Moon. And there was times that I was inside a circle with my high priestess with everything a regular ritual has. I think the most important think is don't let this date just pass by. Remebering it somehow and making some offering, lighting a candle or a incense... medidating, conecting yourself to the Gods... that's the most important think to do. You must find a way to do this that you feel confortable.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 am
For the first time in months, my husband has tonight off, and its a full moon! I think we'll probably meditate, do some tarot/oracle readings, play flute, and quite possibly make love in the moonlight.

That is how we celebrate. smile

Jernni

Sparkly Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Alice Nakagawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:45 pm
My family and I usually do a small ritual, and some sort of activity based on the time of year.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:59 pm
We've done a few esbats, we would like to do more now that the kids are really getting into participating in the rituals. They've done a few with a local childrens' group as well.

We're teaching them about the waxing and waning moons and what they mean. We usually include some small spellwork in our rituals and we talk to the kids about things they want to bring into or cut out of their lives in the coming month (depending on the moon phase)  

Lotus Poem

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm
i enjoy doing a full ritual every full moon. it's really the only time i get to do magick and such, as demanding as my family is.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Aryain Flames
i enjoy doing a full ritual every full moon. it's really the only time i get to do magick and such, as demanding as my family is.

What sort of ritual? How is it performed? Do you use the same ritual every month? Do you pre-plan your rituals or do you ad lib them?
Who do you honour? Why do you honour them? How do you honour them?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59 pm
Since it is somewhat on topic...the full moon ritual that I went to last night, besides forgetting certain things that I consider basic (calling the corners and some sort of invocation), seemed really short to me. Vi brought up a good question...what is considered a good amount of time to spend on a ritual?

Last night, I'd say it was pushing it if the whole thing lasted 30 minutes from start to finish. To be fair adding in a normal opening would have added at least 10 minutes to the whole thing, but over all it just seemed to be lacking in substance. So when you all do your rituals - how long does it usually take? Would being in a group setting change that timing or would it not matter?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:54 pm
I'd say that in general, my rituals take a good 45 minutes, plus any time spent doing appropriate spell work or meditation. I would imagin that in a group setting, the ritual would be at least as long, if not up to an hour.Since you seemed interested, I'll share the ritual I use (be prepared for a long post):

To begin with, one must create sacred space. to do so, gather a feather, a red candle, pure water (or as close as you can get to it), and salt. Lift the water, and say "Holy Mother, I cleanse this water of all negativity, in this world, and in the astral. I consecrate and regenerate this water in the name of the Lord and Lady." Lift the salt, and say "Holy Mother, I cleanse this salt of all negativity, in this world, and in the astral. I consecrate and regenerate this salt in the name of the Lord and Lady." Lift the feather, and say "Holy Mother, I cleanse this feather of all negativity, in this world, and in the astral. I consecrate and regenerate this feather in the name of the Lord and Lady." Lift the red candle, and say "Holy Mother, I cleanse this candle of all negativity, in this world, and in the astral. I consecrate and regenerate this candle in the name of the Lord and Lady." Add three pinches of salt to the water, and stir with your power finger (index finger of the hand you write with). Say "In the name of the Mother and the Father, I ask for the blessings of love, harmony, and joy upon this water." Envision the water glowing with a pure white light. Stand at the north of the space, and move in a deosil fasion, sprinkling salt on the ground as you go. Say "I cleanse, consecrate, and empower this sacred space with the element of earth, in the name of the spirit. So mote it be!" As you come back to the north, lift the water. Sprinkle it in the same fasion, and say "I cleanse, consecrate, and empower this sacred space with the element of water, in the name of the spirit. So mote it be!" As you come back to the north, lift the feather. Wave it through the air , like a wand, and say "I cleanse, consecrate, and empower this sacred space with the element of air, in the name of the spirit. So mote it be!" As you come back to the north, lift the red candle. Hold it before you as you walk the circle, and say "I cleanse, consecrate, and empower this sacred space with the element of fire, in the name of the spirit. So mote it be!" At this point, come back to the altar and say "In the name of the Lord and Lady, in the name of the Great Mother and Good Father, cleanse, consecrate, and empower this sacred space with the element of spirit. So mote it be!" At this point, preform your altar devotion, and cast circle in your usual manner. Anoint head with Holy Water or oil. Say "In the name of the Lord and Lady, may I be cleansed purified, and regenerated. May all evil flee from me. Blessings of the Lord and Lady upon me and in me. So mote it be." Now it is time to Call the quarters. Head to the north of the room. Say "Hail spirits of the North, powers of earth. Be with me here tonight. Bring your strength, prosperity, and stability to this circle. Please witness this rite and gaurd my Sacred Space. So mote it be!" Head to the east of the room. Say "Hail spirits of the East, powers of Air. Be with me here tonight. Bring your intellect, wisdom, and positive thoughts to this circle. Please witness this rite and gaurd my Sacred Space. So mote it be!" Head to the south of the room. Say "Hail spirits of the South, powers of Fire. Be with me here tonight. Bring your courage, passion, and creativity to this circle. Please witness this rite and gaurd my Sacred Space. So mote it be!" Head to the west of the room. Say "Hail spirits of the West, powers of Water. Be with me here tonight. Bring your transformation, love, and joy to this circle. Please witness this rite and gaurd my Sacred Space. So mote it be!" Now is the time to do any magick, read the charge of the Goddess , or other such things. It is also a time to meditate, and reflect on your desisions since the last Esbat. Now, it is time to preform the Cakes and Ale ceremony. Raise the Chalice and say "From the moon to the earth, from the earth to the roots, from the roots to the vine, from the vine to the berry, from the berry to the juice - may the Lord and Lady bless and consecrate the contents of this cup. So mote it be! May you never thirst!" Raise the plate of cakes. Say "From the sun to the earth, from the earth to the roots, from the roots to the grain, from the grain to these cakes - may the Lord and Lady bless and consecrate the meal upon this tray. So mote it be! May you never hunger" Now we will release the Quarters. Begin in the west. Say "Spirits of the west, element of water, thank you for participating in my ritual tonight. Go if you must, stay if you like. Hail and farewell!" Move to the south. Say "Spirits of the south, element of fire, thank you for participating in my ritual tonight. Go if you must, stay if you like. Hail and farewell!" Move to the east. Say "Spirits of the East, element of air, thank you for participating in my ritual tonight. Go if you must, stay if you like. Hail and farewell!" Move to the North. Say "Spirits of the North, element of Earth, thank you for participating in my ritual tonight. Go if you must, stay if you like. Hail and farewell!" Now, enjoy your cakes and ale, saving some for libation.

In answer to your other questions, I always pre-plan my rituals, although i normaly ad-lib prayers and affirmations. I honor the lady, the moon goddess. I have always been fasinated by the moon, so i found this appropriate. I honor the goddess by having a statue on my altar, and offering food and drink to her.  

Aryain Flames

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games