Reply The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild
What did that silver instrument mean? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FayeKasumiValentine1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:57 pm
In OotP, I'm referring to when Dumbledore taps that silver instrument and the snakes come out of it. Then he says "naturally, but in essence divided?" and the snakes split apart. That thing has been driving me nuts almost as much as the veil. What does it mean? I have no clue what it could do, unless it's some way the Order communicates with each other? Maybe a sort of wizard lie detector?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:24 pm
hmm, I recall that thing, but vaguely. What chapter is it in?  

non642

The Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:09 pm
It almost seems to be some type of divination tool, or possibly something to help the user organize their thoughts a bit more. I really don't know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:48 pm
The silver instrument is mentioned in chapter twenty-two, St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries and the strange instrument is mostly mentioned on page 470.
"Dumbledore now swooped down upon one of the fragile silver instruments whose function Harry had never known, and carried it over to his desk, sat down facing them again, and tapped it gently with his wand. The instrument tinkled into life at once with rhythmic clinking noises. Tiny puffs of pale green smoke issued from the minuscule silver tube at the top. Dumbledore watched the smoke closely, his brow furrowed, and after a few seconds, the tiny puffs became a steady stream of smoke that thickened, and coiled into the air... A serpent's head grew out of the end of it, opening its mouth wide, Harry wondered whether the instrument was confirming his story: He looked eargerly at Dumbledore for a sign that he was right, but Dumbledore did not look up."

" Naturally, naturally," mummered Dumbledore apparently to himself, observing the steady stream of smoke without the slightest sign of suprise. "But in essence divided?"

"Harry could make neither heads nor tail of this question. The smoke serpent, however, split itself instantly into two snakes, both coiling and undulating in the dark air. With a grim look of satisfaction Dumbledore gave the intrument another gentle tap with his wand. The clinking noise slowed and died, and the smoke serpents grew fain, became a formles haze, and vanished." Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Page 470.

*See what I mean it absoultly makes no sense! Just like most of the department of mysteries.*  

FayeKasumiValentine1

The Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:24 am
FayeKasumiValentine1
That thing has been driving me nuts almost as much as the veil. What does it mean?

The veil is easy to explain. Once upon a time, the Celtic peoples occupied most of Europe. They believed that there was a "veil" that seperated the world of the living from the land of the dead. It was believed to be more of a vein of fog or mist, but it's been treated in more recent times as veil int he sense of a piece of fabric. That archway was a gateway into the land of the dead, and the veil over it was the "veil" that seperates the two worlds. By passing through that veil, Sirius entered the land of the dead, and therefore died in Rowling's treatment of this piece of mythology.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:46 am
Thanks for the quote FKV.

hmm, that thing is a bit bizarre. If I had to guess I would say that it is doing exactly what Harry thinks it is: confirming his story. When Dumbledore asks "but in essence divided?" the snake splits apart because, while Harry was a part of the snake in the dream, he and Voldemort are still separate. He is not completely under Voldemort's control.

That's my take on it - that the contraption is some sort of way to confirm/disprove ideas.  

non642

Dr. Taffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:45 pm
Gypsy Blue
FayeKasumiValentine1
That thing has been driving me nuts almost as much as the veil. What does it mean?

The veil is easy to explain. Once upon a time, the Celtic peoples occupied most of Europe. They believed that there was a "veil" that seperated the world of the living from the land of the dead. It was believed to be more of a vein of fog or mist, but it's been treated in more recent times as veil int he sense of a piece of fabric. That archway was a gateway into the land of the dead, and the veil over it was the "veil" that seperates the two worlds. By passing through that veil, Sirius entered the land of the dead, and therefore died in Rowling's treatment of this piece of mythology.
thankyou.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:05 pm
bbaxel32
Gypsy Blue
FayeKasumiValentine1

thankyou.
No problem! biggrin  

The Bookwyrm

dragons375

Dapper Capitalist

3,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:51 pm
To the Hindus the veil was where people released their souls never to return even as a ghost, anyway the veil is an omen of death every way you look at it...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:48 am
dragons375
To the Hindus the veil was where people released their souls never to return even as a ghost, anyway the veil is an omen of death every way you look at it...

Wow, I never knew it was a part of Hindu mythos, as well. Good to know!  

The Bookwyrm

shruti_frutie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:40 am
Gypsy Blue
FayeKasumiValentine1

ya but if u just kinda stepped half way between the veil would u die or would u live and see all the dead ppl? and bout that silver instrument it was probably supposed to imply dumbledore's mysteriousness!!??!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:24 pm
dragons375

not to be contsadictory but i am a indu and for hinuds a veil does not mean death. a woman had to wear a veil over her face because that was supposed to mean adornment ( decoration etc.)!!  

shruti_frutie

The Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:54 pm
shruti_frutie
ya but if u just kinda stepped half way between the veil would u die or would u live and see all the dead ppl? and bout that silver instrument it was probably supposed to imply dumbledore's mysteriousness!!??!!

In the contect the J.K. Rowling Wote it, I would say that by standing in the middle of the arch way would likely kill you. You can't be half alive, and half dead at the same time. According to the Celts, though, it would have made no difference. As for the instrument, I really don't know what it was. Too hard to tell at this point, but I think it will come up again in another book soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:53 am
shruti_frutie

not to be contsadictory but i am a indu and for hinuds a veil does not mean death. a woman had to wear a veil over her face because that was supposed to mean adornment ( decoration etc.)!!

in my sisters college relgion book thats what it says.

dragons375

tha's what it says ::points upwards::  

RubyRays

Seeker

willowtree
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:31 pm
I read a theory somewhere, I think it was Mugglenet, about Sirius. It wondered why only Harry and Neville were in the room when Sirius fell through the veil. Other than Luna, they were the only ones of the group who could already see the thestrals. Had any of the others been in the room, they would now be able to see them, or would they? As far as Sirius goes, I think he's probably gone, but I would like it if there was some way for Harry to at least communicate with him.  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff