Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
The Gamers' Promised Land - Revised Social Rules Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:41 am
Hi kids. I've noticed that there has been quite a bit of hostility going around lately, and not just the usual debating type.

I just wanted to clarify what is and what isn't allowed around here.

What IS allowed:

- Being Blunt/Br00tally honest. Yes, you are completely free to tell someone their AMV sucks, or tell them that they have no idea what they are talking about. It's not nice, it's not encouraged in any way, but it's fine. Just make sure you actually know what you're talking about.

- 'soft' trolling. Yes, I completely made up that term. By soft trolling I mean intentionally getting into a debate. Going into a thread, and striking up a debate about politics, or vidya game consoles is perfectly fine, just try to stick to facts, and avoid changing the subject.

- 'light' insults. By light, I mean things that aren't that bad. Rightfully calling someone a 'n00b' or a 'scrub' is A-OK. If someone deserves it, feel free to call them a jerk.

What ISN'T allowed

- Severe insults. Calling someone a "d***e" or an "a*****e" or anything along these lines is not permitted. I've been very leniant about this in the past, but I'm going to be stricter, because lately (september 7th I wrote this) there has been too much hostility and people using these insults.

If you're insulting someone outside of the guild who won't read this, this rule is not as strict. Still try to refrain from using this language though.

- real trolling. If you go into a thread, and start insulting everything without anything to back it up, just to get a response, then you're trolling.

Example of soft trolling - You go into a super smash bros brawl thread, and bash the game for being devoid of any real combos, and for its gameplay mostly consisting of using a handful of moves over and over. You're starting a debate, and you have a valid point.

Example of real trolling - You go into a super samsh bros brawl thread, and you start posting that the game is dumb, and that anyone who discusses it online is a loser etc. You have nothing to back your statements up with, and you're just looking for a response.

This now applies to everyone, including myself and the crew. So yes, I'll be slightly nicer from now on =D

Hopefully this will ease up tension going around, and help us be more active with better conversations.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Are sarcastic insults allowed?  

Muleferdan

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:47 pm
can the words listed as not allowed be used in general, as long as we don't refer to other members? Or are those words just banned?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:34 pm
Deathguiser
can the words listed as not allowed be used in general, as long as we don't refer to other members? Or are those words just banned?

No word is/ever will be banned (lawl sharpedo). Just use common sense, I know you know what is out of line and whats acceptable out of here.

Is post editing ok yet?  

Jonnnn

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm
Yeah, like I said, you can use those words referring to people who aren't members of this guild and won't see it, just don't go overboard.

Also yes, most sarcastic insults are allowed.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:11 pm
The revised rules are all very well and good, but you still hurt my feelings Nitnit when you called me condescending without an explanation! crying crying xp xp  

Undine Mystic

Korean Kracker II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:49 pm
miss the pain and the funny drama 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:30 pm
Undine Mystic
The revised rules are all very well and good, but you still hurt my feelings Nitnit when you called me condescending without an explanation! crying crying xp xp

heeheehee  

nitnit
Captain

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:33 pm
What is d***e? I'm coming up with blank here.

Also, none of you guys can call me an a*****e anymore.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:59 pm
nitnit
Undine Mystic

heeheehee

cry meeeaan!  

Undine Mystic

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:10 pm
Shigeru K
What is d***e? I'm coming up with blank here.

Also, none of you guys can call me an a*****e anymore.

douche. oddly it's been thrown around a lot lately.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm
Being blunt and using words like the ones you're trying to restrict go hand in hand at times. You made this topic because I was talking s**t on you. Which is cute and all, but your effort is fruitless.  

Demidom

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm
Actually deathguiser, and a few others were using those words before you, so don't flatter yourself, you just pushed me over the edge. Also it isn't fruitless since this will garner results.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 pm
I'm still going to call you a douche bag.  

Demidom

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:24 pm
Well, if you call me that you'll first get a warning, then a 3 day ban, then a 7 day ban, then a perma ban.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff