Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super-Happy-Fun-Time Guild

Back to Guilds

A fun place to make both friends and gold. 

Tags: giveaway, game, gold, contest, free 

Reply Recycling Bin (Closed Threads, Spam or Repeat Threads, etc.)
The Dangers of Goggle.com [READ FOR YOUR OWN GOOD]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

themorganashley

IRL Conventioneer

7,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:52 pm
Dkillerman
DANGER DANGER DANGER GOGGLE.COM IS EVILLLL IT WILL BLOW UP UR COMPUTER AND HERE IS VIDEO PROOF!!! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfw9yWTOruE&feature=related

The quote above was said by Dkillerman at the Completely Random Guild. His warning (and the video) may seem fake, but I did a bit of research and found out that those endless warnings and YouTube videos are telling the absolute truth.

Goggle-dot-com is a type of hacking/spamming called typosquatting. Typosquatting is when a person makes a website spelled only a tiny bit differently than another website, usually a popular website such as Google. You see, when the victim misspells the website they really meant to go to, they are taken to the typosquat website which messes with them in some way. For instance, a child could misspell www.pbskids.org and be taken to a different website that has many explict words and images. As you can see, you'll always have to be on your guard and have up-to-date security on your computer.

In the case of Goggle-dot-com, you will be taken to an advertisement that says you've won a prize. There will be lots of prizes to choose from. I suspect that is also a scam, but it's not the main danger. The real bad stuff is the countdown in the top right corner. When the countdown is almost at its end, your computer will be bombarded with pop-ups and Spyware. This hasn't happened to me, but I'll just trust YouTube.

What I don't understand is that the government isn't doing anything to shut down stupid Goggle. No, not Google. I mean evil Goggle. Confusing, isn't it? Anyway, there are thousands of videos, blogs, etc. that warn the public about Goggle, but nobody has made any progress in destroying it. So until then, don't go there. Well, the countdown starts at 5 minutes, so you can check out Goggle for a little bit without being at risk. But please zip out 'o' there once you're done looking.

Thank you for heeding this warning.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:12 pm
Ahh...yes. I remember we tried going on that website in 7th grade during computer class.

Unfortunatly (or maybe just a good thing), macs automatically lead you to google.

Or is it for every computer now? o_O;  

TehRedKitsune

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Wow. That sounds really freaking horrible. So, I'm gonna go ahead and edit your post to remove the links to the fake Google. Normally I'd ask first, or just ask you to edit, but yikes. Better safe than sorry 0.0

Though now I'm curious gonk  
Recycling Bin (Closed Threads, Spam or Repeat Threads, etc.)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games