Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Young People Reading the Twilight Series Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cutepupster38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 pm
So during school the other day, I saw a 4th grader with a group of kids around her all comparing their books in the Twilight Series. In my opinion, they are a little young to be reading the Twilight Series, especially Breaking Dawn. Anyone else's thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm
Up until BD it is mostly kissing but has violence but in BD it leans twoard adult subjects but has violence the same but I can see how people might not want their little kids to read them because they are YA not youth books I am just surprised kids that young CAN read them because there are several words I have to look up in the books and I am in college eek  

Kari Twilight Mist

Shameless Bibliophile

Mrs Joe Trohman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 pm
I actually have absolutely no problem with children reading any of the books.

Kids are people too, and its not a bad thing for them to know about violence and sex. Parents need to make sure they have good, and right information about both.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:36 am
Hmm... 4th grade?! Little young. Of course, depends on their maturity.

n o n n i e t he p o n y

Sparkly Fairy

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm
Ginny_Weasley03
Hmm... 4th grade?! Little young. Of course, depends on their maturity.

I agree I asked my old middle school librarian if she was going to get the books but she thought they were a little to mature for the middle school kids simply because Bella is 17 when the story begins. Then again most of the kids in my town are very immature.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:14 pm
wow 4th grade.....i started when i was in 6th. but that was 2 years ago! but 4th is a bit too young i didnt start going out of the youth till i was 10. but still im a bit worried about bd for 4th graders.  

jade_onyx_1595

vanny_jae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm
I started reading them in 7th grade, but i think 4th is a little too young. My sister is in 5th, and i won't let her read them yet. Although, i said when she get's older, i will make her read them >:3
Although, she is kinda immature for her age too, and i'm a little too mature for mine. Maybe when she is in 8th grade i'll let her read them, they are all my books. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:28 pm
I can see how maybe the first couple are OK for younger kids to read, but the latter books, especially Breaking Dawn maybe inappropriate. Part of the problem may be that they start reading Twilight and really like it so they keep reading on and on and don't want to stop. Then, before you know it, you've finished Eclipse and you're addicted to the series. So you go on to read Breaking Dawn even if you're 10!  

cutepupster38

stareyed_in_LA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:14 pm
I wouldn't say that fourth graders shouldn't be allowed to read Twilight. I think it really depends on the maturity of the kid. But then again, if a kid wants to read a certain book, then they should. Heck, when I was in fifth grade, I had a friend in the same class who was reading It by Stephen King. When I read It about last year, I was just shocked by what I was reading that I had to stop.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 pm
My sister (who is in grade six) had New Moon, Breaking Dawn and The Host in the Schoolastic Book orders (If you don't know what that is, its a flyer kind of thing that offers books at discounted prices. They give it to kids in elementary school (kindergarten to grade six)).

I really didn't think they should be in there. Especially Breaking Dawn and The Host. The Host frigtened me. It was disturbing in a very subtle way. Breaking Dawn has too many mature themes and does get fairly graphic halfway through (when Bella starts coughing up blood left and right).

New Moon is still too mature for them. It gets quite depressing. Plus, you have be at a certain level as a reader to appreciate it. The same goes for Breaking Dawn and The Host. You can't go from reading books designed for kids under twelve to books like that. Plus, they're thick as hell. I really don't know any elemenatry kid who could finish that without getting completely bored and skipping through parts, or skim reading.

You have to reach a certain age before all that romance becomes appealing, anyways. I don't think I was there until grade seven atleast.

.Bucket.of.Joy.

O r c h i d a c e o u s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:40 am
I think BD is just a tad er.....mature for 4th graders. I started them this summer and i was 12. But idk......I dont think they would really understand the things that we do about the book. Their comprehension skills arent even fully developed let alone a liking to all things romance.
Too young  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:42 pm
i disagree. i think any aged person can read it, as long as their somewhat mature and not all "eww" and whatnot. breaking dawn didnt have very much stuff in it, and it was cut off anyway  

PyroDogs94

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Angels In Anyone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 pm
I do think that fourth graders should lay off of the books, especially BD. I didn't start reading the series till I was 11, and I found that I still didn't fully understand the emotional conflict in the story until I was about 13. Children so young probably don't understand such complex plots at such a young age. And shouldn't be exposed to such mature content like that which takes place in BD.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 pm
dogsrox94
i disagree. i think any aged person can read it, as long as their somewhat mature and not all "eww" and whatnot. breaking dawn didnt have very much stuff in it, and it was cut off anyway

From the opinions of people I know, Breaking Dawn isn't very good to the younger crowd. The first part of the book can be pretty mature.  

cutepupster38

KiraLight
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:03 pm
I wouldn't stop a 4th grader from reading the Twilight series, but I wouldn't recommend it either. At 9 years old there are definitely some things in teh books that they won't understand. I guess it shows how much faster kids are growing up now..I'm pretty sure that 8 years ago I was still reading the Magic Tree House books lol  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff