Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
leik=like. What's so hard about learning to spell "like"? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is America lazy in it's spelling?
  Obviously!
  Yes
  Kind of...
  I want to leave and get a Japanese education!
  15 gold. Wow.
View Results

YHVHApostle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm
And this isn't just for other words.

Why do people feel the need to spell something wrong when the letter size in comparison may be the same, or even larger then the correctly spelled word?

Why are people so FREAKING lazy?!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:57 pm
It bugs the heck out of me!! Switch two letters, and it is spelled correctly!! What is so hard about two letters!!!  

FantasyHearts

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 am
-ponders-

Back when I was a kid, no one misspelled, online or off.

I think now, in this age of text talk and misguidance, [and the lack of actual good education], spelling has actually gotten "harder"

I say harder because students don't see the effort of spelling well, or doing anything well, for that matter, because they're taught the basics, and that's it.

burning_eyes I like the option of leaving and getting a different education. This might be the land of the free, but hey, so's the Internet!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:10 am
Because they can. Humans have always taken shortcuts when the opportunity presents itself.  

Triste

Counterfeit Self

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 am
Sometimes I just mistype it, and it ends up being 'liek' instead of 'like'.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:11 pm
I don't really interpret seeing the word "like" being spelled as "liek" bad, unless it's done all over an entire paragraph a zillion (or so) times.

That's when I start ripping whoever's paper I'm supposed to help edit, and make them redo the entire paper, even if its point was clear and concise. sweatdrop  

Swell Sundae

egginaframe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 pm
You know, I do understand typos. I make them frequently. But, there is a line that needs to be drawn. We need to check our stuff for errors and such.

But, guess what? We're lazy asses, that's what.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:02 pm
People actually use "liek" in a serious manner?
Well gee, I thought it was only used for flaming.

Thundurr

Isadorana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:54 pm
People use the butchery of English on a daily basis... these are the same people that say 'kewl' and create acronyms that are beyond stupid...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:54 am
I actually dispise "kewl".
It's so pretentious and idiotic.

I can't tolerate it, at all.
-____-

Thundurr

Satin Kiss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm
People just don't care about their typos and, at times, they catch on.
Take "pwn." It now has its own emote. It's the typo of "own." But, perhaps its creator tried to cover up his/her mistake while rubbing victory in their opponent's face by saying this was on purpose.

"Teh" is another typo that some people use purposely to try to be cute.

The "!!!!11one" of course came from typos. But once posted, no one cared to correct it, so now it's used for either ridicule or to display extreme excitement (sometimes tacking on "eleven" to the phrase).

It's just the Internet in my opinion.

There's no apostrophe in the "its" you were aiming for in the poll.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 pm
Krusnik Yoshiki
Sometimes I just mistype it, and it ends up being 'liek' instead of 'like'.

I agree with Krusnik, actually. I believe that though, yes, the frequency of grammatical and spelling errors in the written culture of America is increasing, the isolated case here is more representative of key transposition and poor typing skills. Additionally, I have always been of the opinion (though I am no more a fan of improper language use than anyone else) that errors are sometimes necessary and must be accepted as evidence of the evolution of our common language--which is by no means a negative thing.  

kusabe

Dark Bishounen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:27 am
What of the word "wut?" Sometimes, people use it to be sarcastic and others, they're just being stupid.

I use leet-type sometimes for the sarcasm factor and other times because I'm tired and have Carpal Tunnel.

I.. have no excuse, I do realize this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm
Maybe they just transpose keys and forget to correct their errors. I know that I make mistakes all the time, but my right pinky finger has a super-fast reflex when it sees that I've made a mistake. ^^"

Some people just don't care if they type correctly. I've made at least ten errors while typing this post, but I took care to correct them all because I like the aesthetics of a well-formatted post. Some people see the errors and know that they're there, it just doesn't bother them like it bothers us.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Mystiquamorphus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 am
I am so sick of people outrageously misspelling everything, and then expecting you to be able to understand what they are talking about. I think people used to just be too lazy to spell out long words, but now they have forgotten how to spell at all.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff