Welcome to Gaia! ::

Faith Black's Multi-purpose Friend Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is a hangout for everyone on Gaia. Members are encouraged to talk about just about anything, plus, we have monthly giveaways! 

Tags: giveaway, contest, hangout, friend, game 

Reply Poetry, Novels, Writing & Literature
Best/Worst Books you have to/had read for school

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Books...
  Yay!
  Noooo!!!!
View Results

soupeh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:02 am
We all have to read books for school. What were some of your favorites and worst ones?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:03 am
My favorite would have to be Hunchback of Notre Dame.
The book I hated was Brave New World.  

soupeh

FaithBlack
Vice Captain

Fashionable Sex Symbol

16,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 pm
Ew!!!! I HATE! Brave New World! Every time it was time to read, I nearly threw the book at the teacher!
I'd say the worst was Many Stones. The main characters reactions just seemed too fake, & the ending seemed like the author had given up on the book & just wanted to finish it as soon as possible.

My fave would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me the more we read it. Ooh, & I lurve Ender's Game. We read the first one in my sophomore year, & now I'm trying to buy the whole series before I start reading the rest of them.
Another series that I really love is A Child Called "It". The first book is terrifying, & I cried the whole time we read it, but the 2nd & third ones are sort of the pick me up books, & it's basically an autobiography of the author's life, & it's amazing that he went through so much as a child & still turned out to be a fine, well-functioning adult, not to mention parent.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:49 am
I hate reading any book by Shakespeare because I'm the only one who can understand what people are saying.
I liked Ender's Game and To Kill a Mockingbird.
oh, I also dislike The Adventures of Huck Finn.
The author killed the ending.  

Celionis

Interesting Hunter

I_live_in_illusens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:17 am
I hated Of Mice and Men. I was ready to shoot myself everytime I went to class.

I loved The Great Gatsby, Night, Huck Finn, Mouse, and the shakespear we read.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:51 am
I've hated every book i've had to read for school. I've had to read Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman, Holes by Louis Sachar, Hitler's Daughter by Jackie French, Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden, The Dragon in the Gardne but i can't remember who by and The Ghost's Child by Sonya Hartnett but next year i do To Kill A Micking Bird for one of my classes which'll be good  

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

lunapinnn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 am
I loved The Great Gatsby and The Awakening.
I HATED Great Expectations and The Scarlet Letter. ugh... there is such a thing as too many details.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:25 pm
Wow, my school's english program must totally suck compared to all y'all's . . . I've only ever heard of some of these books. O well!

My top three favorite books I've had to read for school:

[1] Brave New World (I'd love to debate pro's and con's with everybody on that one ^.^ )
[2] The Handmaid's Tale
[3] A Little Princess (grade five reading material, but it's still one of my favorites)

Worst? Flat-out, bar none Alice, I Think by Susan Juby. It was a well-written book, I must admit, but the storyline wasn't very well thought-out and the overall tone of the book made it seem like the authoress wasn't really into it.  

Isaiah Moretti

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm
One of my absolute favorite was A Tale of Two Cities. It was difficult reading (I was a sophomore at the time) but I really loved the story. I actually really liked Of Mice and Men too. The ending made it for me. Though I still don't understand why we read it in 11th grade. Freshman year, I can understand, but not junior.
For an assignment we had to pick an American novel and I chose Catch-22, which I can say is probably one of my favorite books period. I did the project while I was still halfway through the book, and decided to read the rest for the heck of it.

I hated Huck Finn (well, I didn't hate it, but I still had a problem with reading it junior year), Bless Me Ultima, and Nectar in a Sieve.

I just hated English class last year. I bought Les Miserables the novel just to spite my teacher because apparently she doesn't like reading. I mean, really?? How are you teaching English?! Honestly mad  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am
I think my two favorites I read for school would be Catcher in the Rye and The Alchemist.

I never hated any(its hard for me to hate books stare )But I do hate textbooks 90% of the time.  

embersmoneyslave

Natsumi Kurenai Uchiha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:08 am
I liked reading Beowulf...hehehe the movie was good too...
and I hated reading JOnathan Livingston Seagull*eye twitches*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm
I LOVE reading Paradise Lost and Beowulf

I HATED Great Expectations. I couldn't finish it. It was the most painful read I have ever experienced!  

Night Kunoichi

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Poetry, Novels, Writing & Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items