Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Are tools really required? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do I need an athame?
  Yes
  No
  Doesn't matter
View Results

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:49 pm
I have a couple of tools that i really like to use, however it is next to impossible to find an athame. Do i really need it?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:22 pm
It depends.

In Wicca, yes, the tools are required.
For Neo-Wicca, it depends on the form of the religion you practice. Either way, the tools are preferred. You can substitute a pointed finger easily, but whether this is allowed, whether it deviates too much from ritual form, is, I suppose, up for debate.
Of course, this is in ritual.

For witchcraft, tools are unnecessary. You can practice witchcraft in any way you choose, and spellwork needs little in the way of tools.

Edit:
Just to expand... an athame is a particularly important ritual tool. Even in Neo-Wicca, some symbolic versions of the Great Rite are involved, and you can't insert the athame into the chalice if you have no athame. You see why this would make the athame particularly important...
They're not actually all that hard to find. An athame is, traditionally, a black-handled, double-bladed ritual knife... but you can substitute something similar. There are plenty you can buy online, many magical supply stores carry them... plus you can find similar things at knife shows, gun shows, medieval stores, etc. Hell, some people substitute a butter knife.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 pm
Would a modified butter knife work?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:02 pm
It depends. What are you planning to use it for? Are you a Neo-Wiccan or a Seax-Wican or someone who needs one for ritual purposes?

Some people would say yes, sure it would work. Personally I'm more conservative, I think an athame should be double-bladed. It depends how you feel about it. Whether it would "work" as an athame depends on how you would define an athame and the elements of the knife you think are important. Whether it would function as a basic ritual tool, well, it would function fine, theoretically. Ritually whether it would be appropriate is up for debate.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:26 am
Okay, so as a ritual tool it could work. Thanks. I don't have a specific practice as of yet. I do consider homemade tools more meaningful, though due to my lack of artistic abilities, some won't fit the traditional bill. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:23 am
Carl Neal's "The Magick Toolbox" is a good book on ritual tools. He includes instructions and ideas of how to make each tool as well, or at least how to personalise them, so well worth a look imo.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:25 pm
Thanks. I will. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:48 pm
My opinions deviates from those of more traditional versions of Wicca, but to me tools aren't necessary. Some of my most profound experiences with the gods have been out of circle. I find that rituals that are simple and straightforward are often more profound. I get distracted by too many tools and recitations.

Either way, I'm sure the gods are understanding of your difficulty finding an athame.  

Autodidactic

doistu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 pm
I love homemade tools!!

My OH is making me a wand hehe  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 pm
Carl Neal Rox biggrin

anywho. It depends on your practice and what you want the athame for. There are many other tools that can take the place of an athame if you are more eclectic. The athame is used for directing and cutting energy and is used to symbolize "male" (hence the plunging into the chalice symbolizing the great rite). If you are comfortable using other things, wands, fingers, crystal points to perform those functions those can work as well.  

Lotus Poem

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 am
have an athame, but i do not use it (though it has been consecrated). i'm not wiccan, nor do i cast circles so i really have no practical use of it, but it's there just in case.

athames are actually quite simple to aquire. there are tons of places to find them online and i bought mine from a knife/sword shop in the local mall. then there are always flea markets and antique shops and you never know when you might get lucky at a yard sale. just always make sure you take proper cleansing precautions biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am
whiporwill-o
have an athame, but i do not use it (though it has been consecrated). i'm not wiccan, nor do i cast circles so i really have no practical use of it, but it's there just in case.

athames are actually quite simple to aquire. there are tons of places to find them online and i bought mine from a knife/sword shop in the local mall. then there are always flea markets and antique shops and you never know when you might get lucky at a yard sale. just always make sure you take proper cleansing precautions biggrin

There is a specific method of consecration required to make a ritual blade an athame, that is particular to Wicca.

Athame, unfortunetely, has passed into common parlance for "ritual blade". Most people don't actually have an athame.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 am
Morgandria
whiporwill-o

There is a specific method of consecration required to make a ritual blade an athame, that is particular to Wicca.

Athame, unfortunetely, has passed into common parlance for "ritual blade". Most people don't actually have an athame.

What about an arthame?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:35 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Morgandria
whiporwill-o

What about an arthame?

Wicca specifically has a black-handled ritual knife used only for energy manipulation, created in a specific way, called an athame. I admit the derivation of 'athame' could be from"arthame", but it's impossible to tell at this point - there's no clear etymological derivation for either word. Knowing that Gardner did tend to borrow from wherever, it is a definite possibility.

Idries Shah (who is sort of shaky in scholarship), thought that the word athame was derived from the Arabic for "blood-letter", but his source for that is just another book he wrote under a pseudonym. It certainly doesn't make sense to me, since an athame definitively does not draw any blood, or physically cut. Robert Graves posits that athame might come from the Arabic "the arrow", but not only was his scholarship less than accurate, he was also an associate of Shah.

However - arthame, where it appears in the Key of Solomon, refers to a ritual blade that is not the main black-handled knife used in its' rites. I don't have a problem with people using arthame, simply because it doesn't actually refer to an athame-like blade.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

xXrainbowrazorsXx

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 am
every one seems to know so much about the athame but no one has mentioned the boline.

if you have one i personally think you need the other.

an athame is a black handled, 9" long, doubble sidded ritual knife that is used to perfom rituals. it should only cut air or a cake it a hand fastening and to whittle a wand or staff (not that you need one if you have an athame)

and a boline is a white (or green) handled knife that should be used for you practical work such as cutting herbs or carving candles. bolines are less specific but aslong as it is used for only wicca (or whatever it is that you believe) and not household cooking it should be fine.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff