Welcome to Gaia! ::

Faith Black's Multi-purpose Friend Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is a hangout for everyone on Gaia. Members are encouraged to talk about just about anything, plus, we have monthly giveaways! 

Tags: giveaway, contest, hangout, friend, game 

Reply Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)
The gay marriage issue

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay marriage should be legal
  yes
  no
View Results

Vajapocalypse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:31 pm
Gay marriage is a huge controversial issue sweeping America. I for one am supportive of gay marriage and have yet to hear a good solid reason why homosexual couple should not have the same rights to marry as a heterosexual couple. Many reasons are religious. "The bible says homosexuality is a sin" is by far the most common reason. I think that whether or not that is the case, it is not a good reason why these people should not have the same rights. Marriage is not a religious union any more it is a legal contract between two consenting parties. Ceremonies are not required but often preformed.
Even if marriage were completely a religious union with just legal benefits then why are many things legal that the bible and religious leaders against legal and backed by most churches? I really hate the "marriage should stay traditional" argument because I disagree with tradition marriage. Marriages traditionally were not about love, they were about what was best for the family or country. Marriage for love is a very new belief and certainly not traditional. In countries that aren't as progressive as America people are baffled by the idea that marriage is for love and not for material gain.
Reproduction is also part of traditional marriage that is a little outdated. Since we have accurate birth control methods people in a marriage choose to procreate or not. In fact many people choose not to have children and there are some people who can't. If marriage is for a man and a women because traditionally marriage was for reproduction it's a little out dated because of out society.
Women in the house hold is also something we have long since thrown out in America and yet if we want to keep marriage traditional why is this? Women in almost every culture that instituted marriage kept women in the house to take care of the children and household duties. The entire idea of this forces gender roles and shows one the biggest reason why traditional marriage isn't the best way to go.
With traditional marriage interracial relationships are also off limits especially in the US because it is considered "impure".
We come to the last of my points, Divorce. Divorce destroys the entire idea of marriage and yet it has become acceptable even though people scream about preserving tradition.
Traditional marriage values are in my opinion out dated. I believe if that is what you believe in, you should be fighting for marriage to be a religious union with no legal backing. If that were the case I would agree that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed nor divorce, however it's not. It is legal and because of that they deserve the same rights as you or me.

Gay marriage: agree or disagree?
Why is that?
Do you believe that we should throw out the constitution and reinstate religious doctrine as law?
if so why?
Traditional marriage: misunderstood or just outdated?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 pm
Apparently, last week ( October 5-11, 200 cool was Coming Out Week for the gay and bi-sexual, and my gay friend was really happy about it. She even attended a parade of some sort on Saturday. I think it's mainly because of her that my view on gay and bi-sexual people has changed. Before, I lived in the little world of my second middle school with a class of about 40 students, and it's around the middle/junior-high school years that one learns more about the world. It was a Catholic-ish school so of course most people tended to hate/dislike gays, and/or use the word gay as an insult.
I'd have to agree with gay marriage because they're humans too. They have feelings just as straight people do, and the contract of marriage probably appeals to them as much as it does to straight people if they're into that type of commitment.
Religion causes so much trouble, and not to mention war and I believe it should be abolished and only looked upon in small societies or reflected upon like long-ago history.
Tradition marriage: it hardly exists any longer now. In fact, I learned last year that there are 50% more divorces nowadays than there had been around fifty years ago. My friends and I concluded that it's because people don't always get what they want, when they want it, and because people are so used to getting something similar to what they want they'll get divorced. Upon interracial relationships: I dislike them yet I am hypocritical and feel that such feelings like that shouldn't even exist. I'm pure Asian however, half Taiwanese and half Cantonese second generation American. I'd like to keep my blood-line pure, yet my pure Chinese friend has pointed out to me that I'm already mixed so it's a bit too late for trying to go far a pure Taiwanese or Cantonese. I suppose I knew this all along, I just didn't want to accept that fact. She really opened the doors for me into the world of injustices for pure-bloods, half-bloods, and mixes. I find that most/all white people I speak to about this matter listen with a half-assed manner and say, "Oh, just marry someone you love!" They need to stop being so fake and reveal their true opinions, or perhaps that really is their opinion because they're all mixes.
I find that marriage should be out of procreation. I just don't understand that type of romantic commitment.  

Poison Fairy Sennyo

6,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

YO YO MAMA_1987

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 am
Vajapocalypse
In countries that aren't as progressive as America people are baffled by the idea that marriage is for love and not for material gain.

Very true. Many countries still view women as property & will send their daughters off to "Marry" the highest bidder, even if they are related by blood. Some men have been known to marry their own daughters! It's sexual slavery.
Keeping this in mind, the very idea of marriage is very... Old.

Let's look at the origins of the wedding ring, shall we?
In the days of the caveman, when a man chose a woman that he wanted, he would tie her up, beat and rape her until she stopped attempting to escape. When that was established, he would leave a ring of rope around one of her fingers as a reminder of what would happen to her should she try to escape again. This ring was also proof of ownership, should another man want to take the woman for himself.

Today, many people still see the wedding ring as proof of ownership. I have friends (male friends) who give their girlfriends specific rings after having sex with them so that he can tell his friends "If you ever see a girl with this ring, know that I've tapped that!" It's very juvenile and sexist, if you ask me, but women will proudly wear the rings that these boys give them under the impression that he actully cares about her.

Vajapocalypse
Women in the house hold is also something we have long since thrown out in America and yet if we want to keep marriage traditional why is this? Women in almost every culture that instituted marriage kept women in the house to take care of the children and household duties. The entire idea of this forces gender roles and shows one the biggest reason why traditional marriage isn't the best way to go.

This is also true and further proves my point that marriage between a man and a woman is very sexist. Some people in America even look down upon housewives and stay-at-home moms, so it makes no sense to claim that marriage should stay 'traditional'.

Vajapocalypse

Gay marriage: agree or disagree?
Why is that?
Do you believe that we should throw out the constitution and reinstate religious doctrine as law?
if so why?
Traditional marriage: misunderstood or just outdated?

Gay Marriage: Agree
Why?: Marriage should no longer be considered a sexist thing. To allow 2 women to marry is to say "We are equals. Neither of us needs a male to be happy. We don't have to be submissive to survive."
Do you believe that we should throw out the constitution and reinstate religious doctrine as law?: No. I like marriage as a whole the way it is, but it should be open to anyone. I believe that if gay marriage were legal, there would be significantly less divorce. Do you have any idea how many men marry women because they feel they're supposed to? Never mind the fact that they're interested in men, not women, they do as society tells them to. Not only is this just plain wrong, it's often very painful/difficult for the women involved to accept. No one wants to be told "I'm leaving you for another gender", and yet that's exactly what many are having to hear. It needs to end.
Traditional marriage: Both. It just needs to go. As I said before, traditional marriage is sexist, but so few people see it as such because they simply assume "Love is supposed to feel like this", despite the fact that there is (almost) always a dominant male and a submissive female.

To summarize, Gay marriage should be legal - The gays deserve the right to be happy too!  
Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games