Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Load problems w/ 1911 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cleveland Steamroller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 am
I'm looking for some theories. As long as I've been shooting it, I've had loading problems with my Colt Commander 1911.

Usually I shoot Winchester 230gr. FMJ and that seems to do pretty well, but a few weeks ago I purchased some stuff from my local shop called "HSM". Turns out it was just reloaded crap. Dirtied up my gun like crazy, and about every 7th or 8th shot would hang up. In 150 rounds of that stuff, we had one misfire, two stovepipes, and we lost count of how many hangups we had.

As of right now I'm shooting Independence, which does a little better, but I've noticed a trend, the last round out of the mag seems to catch.

I at first thought that it might be the feed ramp, which, even after I cleaned it, would look all sooty and black. So I took it and had it polished, which I hope will help. I haven't fired it since then, but if anyone has any suggestions, by all means, throw 'em out there XD

God I wish I could afford a Kimber...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 pm
Some guns are just ammo picky while some can't handle dirty build-up well, but honestly you shouldn't be using dirty ammo. It's just not good for guns.

I'm sure you've tried stripping and lubing the gun, right?  

ArmasTermin

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm
ArmasTermin
Some guns are just ammo picky while some can't handle dirty build-up well, but honestly you shouldn't be using dirty ammo. It's just not good for guns.

Well, I hope it works for you after you get it back. At least you'll know for next time you see that brand for sale. Some kind of buildup could cause it to stick, so that could be the main problem there.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm
"....and about every 7th or 8th shot would hang up"
Weak magazine springs?  

Freak_090
Captain

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 pm
...You put the magazine in backwards.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 pm
"The last round would catch*

Sounds like you need:
A) A new magazine/s
B) new magazine springs

It really sounds like a weak mag spring. Some mags are just crappy. Both can be fixed my new mags, and the weak spring can be fixed by replacing the spring (this SOMETIMES helps crappy mags)  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm
uryu ishida
"The last round would catch*

Sounds like you need:
A) A new magazine/s
B) new magazine springs

It really sounds like a weak mag spring. Some mags are just crappy. Both can be fixed my new mags, and the weak spring can be fixed by replacing the spring (this SOMETIMES helps crappy mags)

Unless the magazine frame is bad, but then you would be having problems on whatever round if not every time.

My loading issue hasn't been the mags. Fortunately.
But it's been happening with types of ammunition.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:06 pm
ArmasTermin

I field strip and thoroughly clean the gun after every time I fire it. My friends laugh at me, but I tend to be meticulous about taking good care of my guns.

As for the magazines, I doubt it. I just bought two brand new Wilson Combat mags a few months ago, and I don't store them loaded.  

Cleveland Steamroller

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm
If you've got good mags and a clean gun, it might just be a lemon or finnicky with certain ammo brands.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:04 pm
Cleveland Steamroller
ArmasTermin

I field strip and thoroughly clean the gun after every time I fire it. My friends laugh at me, but I tend to be meticulous about taking good care of my guns.

As for the magazines, I doubt it. I just bought two brand new Wilson Combat mags a few months ago, and I don't store them loaded.
Fallacy correction:

Storing a magazine loaded will not damage the springs. Constantly compressing and decompressing is what will fatigue the spring.  

uryu ishida

leather barrel shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 pm
some guns can be incredibly picky on the ammo you can use, i get a similar problem with my remington 870 express where if i buy something different from winchester or federal it jams up.
i'm not too good with fixing guns, i'd say clean everything really well.
have you considered bringing it to a gunsmith to be looked at?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:54 pm
leather barrel shotgun
some guns can be incredibly picky on the ammo you can use, i get a similar problem with my remington 870 express where if i buy something different from winchester or federal it jams up.

I've taken it to my local gunsmith. Three guys work there, two of which were in the US Military (USMC/Navy) and they couldn't really give me a diagnosis.

They polished up the feed ramp, and I took it to the range on Saturday with Independence ammo. Hung up about 10 or so times, and stovepiped once. It seems like it's gotten even worse XD

I think I'm just going to get a new one, as opposed to putting more money into trying to make a finicky gun work. Maybe I could go with a revolver. That'd be kind of like getting rid of a bitchy woman and getting a dog to keep you company instead, huh? xd  

Cleveland Steamroller

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:37 am
Did you ever try Wolf ammo?

How about you send your 1911 to me so that I can look at it. and keep it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Cleveland Steamroller
leather barrel shotgun

I've taken it to my local gunsmith. Three guys work there, two of which were in the US Military (USMC/Navy) and they couldn't really give me a diagnosis.

They polished up the feed ramp, and I took it to the range on Saturday with Independence ammo. Hung up about 10 or so times, and stovepiped once. It seems like it's gotten even worse XD

I think I'm just going to get a new one, as opposed to putting more money into trying to make a finicky gun work. Maybe I could go with a revolver. That'd be kind of like getting rid of a bitchy woman and getting a dog to keep you company instead, huh? xd

it might just be getting old, or it might be ammo picky, or maybe the last few boxes you bought were bad loads? it's possible but rather unlikely though
do you know anyone with a similar make? you could look at where you think the problem is and adjust to the working one
i guess that works too lol. rofl that's pretty good, except you can't shouldn't sex a dog up  

leather barrel shotgun

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm
leather barrel shotgun
Cleveland Steamroller
leather barrel shotgun

it might just be getting old, or it might be ammo picky, or maybe the last few boxes you bought were bad loads? it's possible but rather unlikely though
do you know anyone with a similar make? you could look at where you think the problem is and adjust to the working one
i guess that works too lol. rofl that's pretty good, except you can't shouldn't sex a dog up
You could always trade in the Colt for a Rock Island.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff