Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Xbox and Playstation Gaming
LittleBigPlanet recalled worldwide Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:28 pm
Pretty petty, but funny all the same.

http://kotaku.com/5065076/littlebigplanet-faces-worldwide-recall-for-quran-references

discuss  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm
What...the...heck? How in the world did THAT happen?

Anyways, there went possibly a means of being a great game (if not for it's gameplay or the direction), by the means of controversial status.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:11 pm
But they don't recall games with references to the Bible?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am
Wow, that's just... wow. I mean, wow.  

pathetic_negi_magician

Luther Olathes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:33 pm
Oh, come on. Those phrazes are awesome and true. The world with perish by MY hand! twisted JK It is strange, though. I read somewhere how there were parts of different religions mixed into the Zelda games. And you see how awesome they are. >_>  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:36 pm
Hilarious!

It's not even that bad really.. there are plenty of games that say/do much worse than a few verses from the song. What ever happened to freedom of speech?  

Griffinith

Aged Phantom

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:42 pm
You seem to forget, Europe. They had to edit the packaging on Mario Cart Wii because it said something about "spastic fun" which in Europe means "retarded fun" which means "mentally disabled persons fun" which isn't cool.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 pm
But hilarious none the less.  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm
My friend got an unrecalled copy from blockbuster. He's going to buy LBP when it comes out and switch the discs. Whoo collector's item *high five*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 am
The thing is, there is a huge double standard when in comes to certain things.

The game Resistance featured Manchester cathedral sprawling with aliens. Many Christians complained, an apology was issued, but ultimately nothing changed.

I don't mean to generalise, but some Muslims take "protesting" too far, and can react violently, which is a pity, because there are some really nice Muslims out there that get grouped in with these people.

What I would like to know is why precisely using those lines is offensive. Other religions sing their praises all the time, is singing not allowed in the Islamic faith!?  

Undine Mystic

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:14 am
Undine has a good point. Just look at the Xenosaga games. The third game had a character call herself Mary Magdeline, and another character call themself Yeshua, which means Jesus in Hebrew. And they were great at killing aliens and the occasional U-TIC soldier.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 pm
Exactly. But when Muslims complain, they get what they want...  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200

Luther Olathes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Geez, and I thought americans had issues. There were things in the Fire Temple on Zada too. That game didn't get recalled. And why should English countries care? Not like we understand what they're saying, anyway? xD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:11 pm
Luther Olathes
Geez, and I thought americans had issues. There were things in the Fire Temple on Zada too. That game didn't get recalled. And why should English countries care? Not like we understand what they're saying, anyway? xD

Except for those people who do understand what they are saying.

Anyways, Undine Mystic does raise some good points, as well as a question that I would like to understand better as well. Although, I personally would want to know why anyone in their right mind would recall a game which they've been promoting for so long in various ways, and then take it all back over one small thing? It's baffling.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am
It may also be in part that it's an E for everyone game in the US. Something like Resistance, rated M, is already going to get some negative attention by the public for an alternative timeline, while something like LBP is supposed to unite people.  
Xbox and Playstation Gaming

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff