Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Not text talk, but who put her in the graduate program??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm
I am editing a dissertation for a graduate student who is going for her doctorates in education. Now...I was happily editing until I came across this:

"For children who you are learning English, self-directed play establishes an informal, non-threatening atmosphere..."

Now I would understand if it was just one sentence like that. But it's not. There are many other sentences that are either messed up like this or don't have the right punctuations.

She has had THREE professors edit this dissertation thus far, and came to me to do it again. How do three people, four actually, miss a sentence like this?

Well, enough of my ranting. Back to editing this...paper... confused  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:56 am
Wow... wow... wow...
That reminds me of times when I've edited friend's papers, but that was high school. Then again they always yelled at me when I pointed out their bad grammar.
I wonder who wrote her essays when she was applying to graduate school...

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:04 pm
Um... yeah, that was fairly pathetic. Yup. Nothing more to say.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:17 pm
Update:

I did finish editing after three gruesome days. I got paid, and well, I am fairly disappointed. If she gets into the graduate program, it will be a shallow victory for me, because I know she'll be back on my doorstep asking for more editing.

She said she was too busy to go through her own dissertation. "I could look everything up in the book. I just don't want to. I don't have time."

-sighs- This leaves me to question people in the college level. Anyone making hot coco or mixed drinks is welcome to make me one. I need it.  

Patron with a Mission

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 am
Have some wine and cheese on me. cheese_whine

I tutor for English, and I feel your pain. Why can't people just use spell check and grammar check? Why can't they just read it through, or read it aloud?

Why must they torture the poor English tutors?!

I think I'll grab a wine and cheese for myself, too. cheese_whine  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 pm
-bows- Thank you, my friend.

Well, consider this: if they didn't have issues writing, then tutors like us wouldn't have a job, now would we? confused  

Patron with a Mission

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:36 pm
Very true. Not only that, but one might imagine that they have other strengths outside of the literary world that are still beneficial. For example.... math, and.... um, what else doesn't involve too many words?  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games