Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
I caught an idiot today, and a plagurist Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold for you!
Yay!
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 11

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:00 pm
Here's the journal entry I wrote on it for my journal, Word Spill:

Quote:
You know what grinds my gears?

Literary piracy. If you didn't write it, but you try to pretend that you did, you just made my list of People I Hate Most In Life. For all time.

This was a post by moonwing5 in the Poetry and Lyrics Arena. Sound familiar?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Yeah, it rang a bell with me, too. So I googled it, and guess what? This poem was published by ROBERT FREAKIN FROST in 1920. How did moonwing5 expect to get away with it, I ask you, how?! So I reported the idiot, and hopefully the Gaia moderaters will do away with him. I also left him the following comment:

Piracy is illegal, and the poem you just tried to copy, Mountain Interval, The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost, 1920, published by New York; Henry Holt and Company) is an American classic studied in nearly every public high school by junior year. Piracy is illegal and, personally, I have no idea how you expected to get away with it this time, since you used such a well-known poem. In the stead of true authors every year, I condemn you. Your post has been reported. Scum need not populate Gaia- do not come back.

Is it a little harsh? Actually, I tend to think that I was too nice. Thieves and pirates and scum deserve no respect or courtesy.

Thought that, this being a literary guild, I ought to share this idiot with you and earn him some of that fame he was apparently craving in the Arenas. May I never come across him again.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:23 pm
I have a super low tolerance for plagiarists. They have no creativity whatsoever. Most do it out of laziness, which really really makes me mad.

The second I spot one at the place where I work as a tutor, they will have to face my wrath before the dean of students. And most have said they'd rather face the dean.

Good for you, Nicholas, that you spotted the plagiarizing. You are on my list of heroes. ^.^  

Patron with a Mission

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am
He's just lucky I didn't catch him doing this in real life- he would have been risking injury. I mean, a little-known author I understand, but ROBERT FROST?! It's like he was begging me to catch him.

Which I did gladly. razz  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm
Wow. Just, "wow".

I thought that the writing arenas were just fully made up of those that know how to create such from their own minds with deep creativity. (I know I sure as heck can't.) But apparently, I'm quite wrong for once. I wonder what this world has come to at this point... I know it's hard to come up with something that "rings" to all and is original, but it shouldn't be too hard that you have to copy what someone else made! gonk  

Swell Sundae

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:33 pm
I know what you mean- writing is hard, but at least it's fully possible to get better. You can't do that when you're not submitting your own work! Plus, if someone gives you kudos for something you didn't do, it doesn't really count, so what's the point?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 pm
You have spotted a literary fake and fraud, wanting to snatch undeserving fame...I've used the term loosely. If I had my way, I'd behead the son of a b***h.

In my ideal world, there is no such thing as "cruel and unusual punishment" for scum of the earth like him/her.

For catching this one straightaway, I salute you.  

Natsuri

Psychotic Daizy Dukes

O.G. Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:53 pm
Mhm...
I might post some of my own poety here someday... But nonetheless, that's terrible. Just... Wow.

Rober Frost, my goodness... They weren't the brightest of fellows, now were they?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:29 pm
Oh, I love that poem! blaugh  

Galad Aglaron
Captain

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:01 am
He should have his brain removed and stuffed, he seems not to be using it.

Plagarizing is not cool in my book, it's just low.

Robert Frost, of all the poets, ROBERT FROST?! I'm slapping that guy because 1) it's Robert Frost and how dare he and 2) he's stupid enough to use a famous poem by a famous poet and think no one would notice!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:49 pm
Something like this happened to me in my English class. It was so supremely awkward..
My english class has a website where you can post your homework assignments that need to be printed (in case you have no printer or a broken printer.) My printer's unpredictable, so I usually post my assignment as backup.
So I posted my assignment on the website, and the next day during our test my teacher asked if I could see her after class. As it turns out, another student had grabbed my assignment from online (for some reason) and turned it in under his name. Unfortunately for him, he forgot to change my "She"'s to "He"'s.
Really ridiculous on his part.

So.. I posted this to give you one of my experiences with plagiarism. biggrin  

Avi1313

Aged Codger

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:55 pm
Avi1313
Something like this happened to me in my English class. It was so supremely awkward..
My english class has a website where you can post your homework assignments that need to be printed (in case you have no printer or a broken printer.) My printer's unpredictable, so I usually post my assignment as backup.
So I posted my assignment on the website, and the next day during our test my teacher asked if I could see her after class. As it turns out, another student had grabbed my assignment from online (for some reason) and turned it in under his name. Unfortunately for him, he forgot to change my "She"'s to "He"'s.
Really ridiculous on his part.

So.. I posted this to give you one of my experiences with plagiarism. biggrin

Ha. You wouldn't believe it, but not too many plagiarists cross my path. We do try to make students aware, but you'll always have those that are too damned lazy and copy from other sources.

Most of the students I catch have made two mistakes:

1.) Font size. Yes, some students are stupid enough to copy and paste something directly from the source. So it looks something like this:

So what the author is saying is that the circular argument is indeed circular.

How can you NOT notice that? I'm sorry. But I'm able to catch it within seconds. I then grill the student until they either admit or leave. I also turn their names in.

2.) Writing style. This one is a bit tricky. If the student writes like a pro from the first sentence, then fine. But if the student has difficulty writing, then starts suddenly sounding professional, chances are that plagiarism has occurred, on purpose or not. Or better yet, grammar mistakes. If they don't know where a comma goes at all, then suddenly look perfect, then skip back, then it has happened.

-sighs- Why can't people just write what they feel anyway? Why copy? It's a question I'll never understand.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 am
Yeah, it was pretty bad. And I'm catching these sort of people all the time lately, on many of the websites I regularly frequent. One kid I caught was twelve years old, and his mom got on and sent me a long email haranguing me about being merciless to children and whatever. I sent her the following: "Ma'am, when it comes to plagiarism, whatever the age, I do not know mercy." I included a screen shot and a detailed description of what happened, and the most I've gotten from her since then has been an embarrassed silence.

Incidentally, I thought the 'ma'am' was a nice touch. biggrin  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Population Tire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 pm
In my opinion, little chickenshit plagiarists deserve to have their right to publish and share media taken away from them for some predetermined amount of time, in addition to any other punishments they may receive. They have violated a medium and must face the consequences.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 am
Population Tire
In my opinion, little chickenshit plagiarists deserve to have their right to publish and share media taken away from them for some predetermined amount of time, in addition to any other punishments they may receive. They have violated a medium and must face the consequences.

I fully agree. Discuss, all?  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am
Nicholas Kaze
Population Tire

I fully agree. Discuss, all?

I feel the same. And they deserve to be restricted from just about everything and forced to write "I will never plagiarize again" until the chalk/marker runs out. They also deserve to be strapped to a desk and shocked.

I could think of more, seeing as I've been ordered to lay down in bed because of an injury. Like having them sit in a class chained to a library of books and forcing them to read every single classical book known to man. Or forcing them to write "I will never plagiarize again" until the chalk or marker runs out...  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff