Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
What GPSr do you use? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 am
Right now I'm using a Garmin e-trex Legend (blue casing). It's not a bad little system with built in maps. However every few months it has an issue where the screen goes blank until you find the right pressure point to pop it back into its connectors. A lot of friends have the same problem with this model. I got it on sale cheap for $125 during the last November's Black Friday sale at Bass Pro Shop.

I also have the cheap Garmin e-trex (yellow case) with no maps. This is the bare bones GPSr that a lot of new cachers start with. It's usually only around $88~$99 at stores like Target.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm
Its been a while since I was here last...hope everyone is well.

I'm using a Magellan 200/w Maps.( yellow case) Its been pretty reliable thus far. I plan one day to get a better one. So when I do...I'll be glad to give this one up to anyone who's interesting in the game but doesn't have a GPSr.  

Neoslayer75

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:18 pm
I use a Garmin Colorado 400t. It holds gpx files so I have paperless caching right on my gps. Reception is about the same as a 60CSx.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm
I use the Garmin Colorado 300, similar to DenvoPryde's unit except i do not have maps on mine. The GPX geocaching feature works great, but I find that sometimes the compass arrow acts up and swivels or points in the wrong direction. xD  

lightning_fall

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 pm
lightning_fall
I use the Garmin Colorado 300, similar to DenvoPryde's unit except i do not have maps on mine. The GPX geocaching feature works great, but I find that sometimes the compass arrow acts up and swivels or points in the wrong direction. xD

The Colorado has a very senitive compass. Make sure you are holding it right and calibrate it when you can. Some spots in my area have major bounce so I calibrate it every time I go out.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33 pm
DenvoPryde
lightning_fall

The Colorado has a very senitive compass. Make sure you are holding it right and calibrate it when you can. Some spots in my area have major bounce so I calibrate it every time I go out.

Thanks very much- I solved the compass problems, but now my model is being downright retarded. Thee quarters of the time I try to turn it on, it gets to the "Garmin" screen for a few moments, then goes dark and shuts down. When I can get it on, It tells me the batteries are fine and operates normally. However, it only stays on for 10-15 minutes or so before it shuts doen again. I have tried changing the batteries, but it doesn't seem to help. The onlt thing I can think of is restoring it to factory settings, and I don't even know if that will work. Any advice?  

lightning_fall

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:01 pm
When it goes dark is there a thin white line going down the screen? If so my Garmin Legend used to do that. I think it was a loose connection between the device and the screen. It usually happened when I tried to use the toggle on the front of the device.

I don't recommend you try my method which is to thump it on the bottom a few times with an open palm. It fixed my problem but I make no promises or take any responsibility for what happens to yours. In any case it won't bring the screen back until after you shut down and restart I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm
lightning_fall
DenvoPryde
lightning_fall

Thanks very much- I solved the compass problems, but now my model is being downright retarded. Thee quarters of the time I try to turn it on, it gets to the "Garmin" screen for a few moments, then goes dark and shuts down. When I can get it on, It tells me the batteries are fine and operates normally. However, it only stays on for 10-15 minutes or so before it shuts doen again. I have tried changing the batteries, but it doesn't seem to help. The onlt thing I can think of is restoring it to factory settings, and I don't even know if that will work. Any advice?

Could be software problems, try updating it on the garmin website, if that does not work call the garmin support line they have helped me in the past.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

lightning_fall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:25 pm
Well, it's not a software problem >.<
I went to the garmin website today, downloaded Web Updater, and downloaded the lastest software. When I brought it outside ans turned it on, it still shut down a few moments after I turned it on. I tryed a few more times, but each time I tryed the time between me turning it on and it powering down got shorter and shorter. I searched the FAQ's on the garmin website, and found that others have had this problem. However, the solution was a software update, which I just did xP

Garmin FAQ's

Question: My Colorado randomly shuts off. What is causing this?

Answer:
The Colorado series can experience abnormal power cycles when using the backlight and pressing the soft keys while the batteries are at a lower power level. In order to resolve this please update your product to the most recent version of software. This issue was addressed in software version 2.20.

Any other ideas? crying  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 am
Yesterday my bf and I got our first gps (I'm always getting lost and love caching so it works!) its a tomtom one. We have not taken it caching only driving but so far we love it!

-avelsgard (on geocach) candyrazor(on gaia)  

CandyRazor

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Statustician 100

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:45 am
I am thinking about getting a Geomate Jr. since it is explicitly for Geocaching. has anyone used one or talked to someone who has??  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm
@7raindrops- I've seen it advertised, and it does look very easy to use...I wonder how good it is with downloading new caches though, or caches in more remote locations that it's database may not include. Just my personal opinion though, I've never actually seen one used.  

lightning_fall

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 pm
I think that they said that they will have update downloads that will come out either once or twice a year. Also downloads for any country that you might travel to. Which would be an issue if you lived closer to Canada, or Mexico. This would not be the only gps used since I also go with my boyfriend and he uses a regular gps, but this would be something more for road trips where we might find ourselves out somewhere with time to kill. A laptop is not always available .

But you do bring up a great point and leads me to questions like what about closed caches, and does it display hints? Haha as a new person to geocaching hints are often what really helps me find a cache but I know that once I get my geocaching legs under me then I could start finding without hints. heart heart  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 am
7raindrops
I am thinking about getting a Geomate Jr. since it is explicitly for Geocaching. has anyone used one or talked to someone who has??
My boyfriend and I were thinking about buying one but we bought a regular gps instead as I go tend to get lost while driving! xd When I have kids i might buy one for them so they dont feel the need to touch mommy and daddys $120 gps they can use their geomate jr with out mommy and daddys wallets crying at the words "uh oh"  

CandyRazor

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Statustician 100
Geocaching Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items