Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Recommend me a Knife? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm
This belongs in Buying and Advice, but I didn't put it there because no one goes there.

TL;DR me getting to the point in red.

I had a knife, still do, a simple Schrade folding knife, half serrated, like this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Biggest picture I could find. It's okay. Light, well made. But it has a thumb stud for right-handers and I'm a Southpaw (that's a term for left-handed person, right?) so I had to keep it in my right pocket. Does that matter? Yeah, a little. Then I got an Xcaliber spring assist knife. But the spring that assisted opening also kept the blade pushed out just enough so my hand could scrape against the point when I put my hand in my pocket. So I got an Mtech in the same style, but smaller and with no assist. Just a thumb stud and a flipper you could push to open it partially and flick it out. Which is great, except one of panels is sliding around because a screw came loose and fell out somewhere. So I need a new one.

I prefer spring assist over anything. It's fast, but doesn't have the switchblade stigma and the "Excuse me son, what do you think you're going to be doing with that?" from cops, should I run into any. Price should be $30 or under. Not because I'm that cheap, just because I shouldn't have to pay more for a well-made knife. Plain edge would be okay or half-serrated, but I never used the serrations on my Schrade. Black or stainless, OD green, whatever. The use would be just cutting... stuff. You know, bits of string, opening packages, boxes, food containers things--the various things in life that need to be cut. And self protection, I guess. I mean it has to be sturdy.

Spring-assist knife, half-serrated or plain edge, most any color, durable and tough, good edge, around $30 or less. Looking cool would be a plus, but isn't necessary.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 pm
S&W and Schrade (same company, really) are the only brands I can find which have a spring-assist. I checked one of the S&Ws, half-serrated, spring assist, and it came out as $40 on Amazon.

EDIT: Ooh, my friend shows me this one: http://www.rockynational.com/2444_22-01582_Gerber_Aluminum_Presto_35_Serrated_Edge.html

Not only does it look ******** sweet, it's a Gerber, and not that expensive.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 pm
Rambos knife  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 pm
Fresnel - Hey, I do like that one. [pun]Looks pretty sharp.[/pun]

Orkronos - When I have a pair of pants with pockets big enough to fit it, I'll surely use that.  

ArmasTermin

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:12 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel - Hey, I do like that one. [pun]Looks pretty sharp.[/pun]

Orkronos - When I have a pair of pants with pockets big enough to fit it, I'll surely use that.
Now thats some planning!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am
I got a knife from frost one time that worked nicely for me. I can't remember what it was called exactly, but I do know it had a false edge, not spring assist, but easy to open if you flick your wrist. Granted the belt clip is on the right side, but the thumb stud is on both sides.

Found it. http://www.frostcutlery.com/default.aspx?content=detail&list_type=category&id=949

BTW, southpaw here as well.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 am
Man of the Demoneye
I got a knife from frost one time that worked nicely for me. I can't remember what it was called exactly, but I do know it had a false edge, not spring assist, but easy to open if you flick your wrist. Granted the belt clip is on the right side, but the thumb stud is on both sides.

Found it. http://www.frostcutlery.com/default.aspx?content=detail&list_type=category&id=949

BTW, southpaw here as well.
440 Stainless blade. Normally I'd give that a no-go, but my current pocket knife has a 440 stainless blade and it's been razor sharp for a year and a half now. Still has the factory edge.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 am
CRKT folders, with the autolawks.

CRKT fixed blades are decent.

some of the better "tactical" knifes with a decent price.

I haz 1!  

Crash Maniac

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 pm
MY dream knife: SOG Trident Tanto  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:09 pm
CRKT M16 or M21  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm
SBBuckner
CRKT M16 or M21

CRKT M16-12Z is what i have.... not to hot on the "tanto" style blade but it was a gift.

It is WONDERFUL. i dont think i'll buy anything else for a folder.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:31 pm
Crash Maniac
SBBuckner
CRKT M16 or M21

CRKT M16-12Z is what i have.... not to hot on the "tanto" style blade but it was a gift.

It is WONDERFUL. i dont think i'll buy anything else for a folder.

This one?

I am planning to get one black-oxidized tanto blade. Its looks sexy rofl  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:32 am
Quote:

This one?

I am planning to get one black-oxidized tanto blade. Its looks sexy icon_rofl.gif

I dont have that one, i have that one's little brother. Its very handy.

I do however, want the bigger, badder orange zytel one. Cause it wins.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 pm
What about a good old K-bar?

I know it's a fixed blade but some models do have a serrated part.  

OberFeldwebel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:53 pm
... ********' hell. I meant KA-BAR  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items