lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 am
Americans,
It's an important day today.

Go vote.
Make an informed decision!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:20 pm
I voted! I was the 21st ballot turned in at my polling place. They had more people wanting to vote than they had space for.  

Salmay
Captain

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 pm
I want one of those "I voted" stickers. We dont get anything like that.
But yay!
Well done guys!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 pm
I voted, bright and early as the polls opened this morning. 3nodding  

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:41 pm
starbucks is apparently giving out free coffee to people who voted...

I didn't get a sticker either, eri... =(  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm
Obama's got it!! (Thank god...)  

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Neiina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 pm
awww, I can't vote yet emo  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:26 pm
wtg Obama!  

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:45 pm
Neiina
awww, I can't vote yet emo

Too young?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 pm
@Karma - juuust barely, if they waited one more year I would be able to

[on the other hand, yayyy Obama!!]  

Neiina

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:08 am
Karma v2

I don't think you'll be saying that four years from now. Congrats to President-elect Obama, but I don't think he'll last more than one term. If he wants to have a chance at two terms, he's going to start saying that America's not going to be able to pull-off universal health care and "free" college to all B-average students without raising taxes for the middle class. The money he's expecting to from the upper-class use simply isn't there anymore. There's other promises he's made that I don't think he can fulfill (e.g. energy independence) and I think frankly, he's bit off way more than he can chew.

Now, I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that too many people voted with their hearts than with a combination of heart and head.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 am
Kinnei
Karma v2

I don't think you'll be saying that four years from now. Congrats to President-elect Obama, but I don't think he'll last more than one term. If he wants to have a chance at two terms, he's going to start saying that America's not going to be able to pull-off universal health care and "free" college to all B-average students without raising taxes for the middle class. The money he's expecting to from the upper-class use simply isn't there anymore. There's other promises he's made that I don't think he can fulfill (e.g. energy independence) and I think frankly, he's bit off way more than he can chew.

Now, I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that too many people voted with their hearts than with a combination of heart and head.

See I disgree with this I live in england and have lived in Canada where both have free health care for everyone. And it works well. The money most people pay in health care insurence can be used in tax's into a non profit health care system. Thats th promblem with usa system its about makeing the most money while helping the least amount of people. If the same amount of money was put into taxs instead of insurence ther would be enough for a great free health car system.  

Kalzonie
Crew

Sparkly Seeker

8,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:34 am
Kinnei
Karma v2

I'm aware that he's not going to be able to fulfill every campaign promise he made, but as long as he can at least get the country moving in a better direction, that's good enough for me. Get the economy heading back up, at least make an attempt to get us out of this war, make some positive steps toward more affordable health care and education (if nothing else). All we can do is wait it out.

Actually, I'm just happy he can address the country without sound like a total moron (j/k) xd

@Callisto: That's it, I'm moving to Canada.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:07 pm
Where I live we have a large community of American Airforce Personnel who are still able to vote. Most of those I saw today seemed happy with the outcome.
I am pretty happy about it too. I know that I am not directly affected by it, but lets face it, you guys are in charge now. Its nice to have someone with some sense.

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 pm
I voted with my head. And the statistics show that most 4-year college educated people voted for Obama.

I think if you are expecting Obama to be a knight in shining armour coming to sweep america off its feet and pluck us down in a fancy palace where every dream we've ever had is true- is simply unrealistic. But I'm not stupid and clearly the majority of america isn't either.

It's time for people to be taxed in an equal amount, for education to be important, and basically for our citizens to be the nation's top priority. It's time to end large selfish corporations viewing us as monetary value and nothing more.

We have become so disrespectful to our fellow man that it's disgusting. The "step-on-anyone-to-get-ahead-for-myself" mentality that this country has become so enveloped in is disgusting. This thing where we feel like we deserve everything has got to go.

It's time for politicians to realize that we are not stupid and naive. Transition is not easy. Change is not easy. But we don't know what can be better until we try it. And I think the republican party had more than enough time to change their ways to cater more to the individual citizen as opposed to sucking the dicks of large corporations that have no interest in anyone's well being. They have sucked this country dry and turned their backs on us. What did they expect?

It's time to move past using religion as a ground for making laws.

We are america damnit. We are the melting pot. We are the open arms for those who are in need. We are powerful and strong. And it's time for us to step up and be all those things again.

I couldn't be happier that Obama won and I'm looking forward to give up whatever I have to in order to make everyone's lives better.  
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff