Reply Buying and Advice
First Gun Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadow Deadeye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:58 pm
So I've almost talked my parents into letting me get a gun (In utah you only need parental permission before buying one) So I am in the process of deciding what I want.

I'm wanting either a handgun (1911 Preferably) or a AR-15 but I really don't know many reliable brands.

So any suggestions.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:41 pm
Well as for brands, if it has Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Colt, SIG, Glock, Kimber, Springfield, H&K, or to a lesser extent Taurus, you can't go wrong--generally. There are plenty of other brands, too. Just try to avoid Jennings, Hi-Point, Lorcin, and other POS brands.

I can't recommend AR-type rifles and hi-cap handguns highly enough with our next dictator president whatever coming up.

If you want a .45 I might suggest a Springfield XD-45 first. Higher capacity and lower price and you might not be able to get the nice long mags in a year. But 1911 mags are almost always under the 10 limit, so you might want to get that later.

And if you can afford some kind of AR, awesome. If not, maybe try for a semi-AK, or even an SKS. But I'm not the person to advise you properly on rifles. I'll leave that to the real knowledgeable folks.

mrgreen  

ArmasTermin

Shadow Deadeye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:44 pm
Eh most of those are just my preferences but if theres something that would be better than name it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 am
For ARs, the first brands that come to mind are Rock River Arms, DPMS, and Armalite. Those were the ones that were plastered all over the competitions. Armalite puts a funny twist in their barrels though, so any bullet over 77 grains tends to explode when it leaves the barrel. If you're just going to be shooting the cheap stuff though, you shouldn't ever see more than 62 grains, so that won't be a problem.

FYI: Most, if not all of those brands give discounts to junior shooters. I don't know if you have to be a competitive shooter or not though, but if they're willing to knock $300 of the price, it's worth it to ask.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shadow Deadeye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:52 pm
I Shoulda looked closer, I can only get a rifle.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 am
Anything in particular you want out of a gun? Caliber, action, size, features...?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:58 pm
It's very hard to go wrong with an AR or a Mosin Nagant.

While .223 may be getting more expensive, you CAN get uppers (and magazines, of course) in different calibers.

With a Mosin Nagant, though, you have possibly the cheapest centerfire caliber on the market that is widely available, and is very powerful. You also get a tent pole, oar, war club, and firewood, too!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:18 pm
uryu ishida
You also get a tent pole, oar, war club, and firewood, too!
You forgot "pike", but I suppose that requires the bayonet also.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:32 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
You also get a tent pole, oar, war club, and firewood, too!
You forgot "pike", but I suppose that requires the bayonet also.
"Pike" is dependent on WHICH Mosin Nagant, and if the bayonet is removable, on if you have it or not. Which you SHOULD.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am
AR/DPMS - just get a trigger job on it, cause it's a little shitty. Unless your not really gonna notice such things... I do.

Ruger Mini-14 comes in .223, 7.62x39, 6.8 and can be pretty cheap depending on where you get it.

you might also want to consider a Shotgun for a first rifle...
Mossberg 500/590 pump in 12 gauge.
Remmington 870 pump

Those are the cheap(er) end... you can get up there with shotguns, especially with the new semi-autos out there from FNH, Benneli... etc.

I cant talk enough about the Mosin Nagant, its cheap, reliable, powerful, and has multi function. With the money one would spend on a AR, or any other rifle that is... You can buy an Mosin, ammo, scope mount, scope... slings, bayonets, targets, another mosin to use as a club, more ammo... ice packs for your shoulder....

yeah... anywho... my two cents.  

Crash Maniac

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 pm
Crash Maniac
AR/DPMS - just get a trigger job on it, cause it's a little shitty. Unless your not really gonna notice such things... I do.

Ruger Mini-14 comes in .223, 7.62x39, 6.8 and can be pretty cheap depending on where you get it.

you might also want to consider a Shotgun for a first rifle...
Mossberg 500/590 pump in 12 gauge.
Remmington 870 pump

Those are the cheap(er) end... you can get up there with shotguns, especially with the new semi-autos out there from FNH, Benneli... etc.

I cant talk enough about the Mosin Nagant, its cheap, reliable, powerful, and has multi function. With the money one would spend on a AR, or any other rifle that is... You can buy an Mosin, ammo, scope mount, scope... slings, bayonets, targets, another mosin to use as a club, more ammo... ice packs for your shoulder....

yeah... anywho... my two cents.

Reproduction scope, and mount I believe, made from Steel = $300.
I can't remember the zoom.
Either, 2 4 or 6x.
But for hunting you really only use 4x.

Hell,
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-sniper-rifle-with-scope,-7-62x54r-caliber-/products_id/1541

$400 for one of them complete.
Well, there is S&H but it's not too bad from AZ to White Bear, MN they charged $20.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:37 pm
AND the bayonet is a flathead screwdriver!  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:54 pm
Don't forget that if you want a repro scope for a Mosin, you have to replace the bolt. The straight bolt doesn't cycle with the scope in the way.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:36 am
Fresnel
Don't forget that if you want a repro scope for a Mosin, you have to replace the bolt. The straight bolt doesn't cycle with the scope in the way.

even still... i know a guy who'll do that for $25 bucks.  

Crash Maniac

Barru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:41 pm
Fresnel

Oh I forgot about that.

It's pretty simple though. I think some places sell the bolt bodies that are bent too.
I think there's a discount if you send your bolt body to get bent.

But still, it's a lot cheaper than most of the medium to higher quality scopes with and it's essentially military grade.
granted it's Soviet but...
eh they got it right anyway.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas