Dusk was settling on across the lands. Being as they were, Tianxia was a uniquely beautiful land to watch the sun set: currently, a rosy orange-yellow glow highlighted the topmost crags of the highlands, picking them out in stark light-and-shadow. At this point, high in the center of it all, you could see that the land below was already covered in shadow ... and, presumably, cold. Up here, the last few meager rays of light played across the dark pelts of two felines: a lioness in the prime of her life, and a young cub that had just hit the 'difficult' stage.

Afu liked it up here. She felt, indeed, like the Empress she was, surveying over all. She loved these lands, too. You could never get complacent; game was hard, life was hard, but it was magnificent and worthwhile. The brutal power of this place was awe-inspiring ... after the rains, the lands around were coated in waterfalls and a brilliant display of color and smell. No time of the day, or night, would not showcase Mother Nature at her finest.

Her son, however, was less impressed. Having been raised in this fantastic land, he appeared bored with it's beauty and majesty already: less satisfied, harder to please, taking such things for granted. He, after all, had been born into wealth and prestige; she had had to take what she wanted. Of course, even as a prince, he was already aware that he couldn't get whatever he wanted.

"I want a servant," Tyro squeaked, indignantly, using his claws to 'kill' an already-dead hare that she had brought him; already, his backpaws scrabbled at the 'prey,' similar to the disembowel technique he'd use when he grew up.

"I can have a servant, right, mother? And why does sis get to go out with father and learn about the lands! It's not fair."

She watched him; partially amused, partially exasperated, partially wary. As good as it would be for her firstborn to have some competition, the boy made her uneasy, in truth. He reminded her already vaguely of her father: a powerful, cruel lion who had taken what he wanted through manipulation, guile, or force, or a combination. He probably would have gotten away with taking that jungle-valley pride, had the desert-pride not stepped up first, long-standing feud trumping the mechanisms of one dethroned King. She hoped, quite fervently, that the old boy had died. If he returned to find her here ... well, he would certainly stir up some kind of trouble, and she or her family might end up as victims of little 'accidents' as he slowly gained a pawhold on the lands. One half-sister was quite enough to deal with ... she still hated talking to Mwana. Still, no little 'accidents' had come from that direction ... still. One could never take too many chances. Perhaps she should get someone to keep an eye on the North. It was a pity, really; her brother-in-law was nice enough, and loyal.

"Your sister is the crown princess; you are not, my little Ozai," she said, carefully drawing her to him, claws out as a not-so-subtle reminder. He gulped a little, letting go of the hare and withdrawing his own claws. "As for a servant ... perhaps. But don't you want to be tough and learn how to survive on your own? We're not weakling kings and queens of the plains, who have everything brought to them and do nothing to better themselves; they have no intelligence and little true strength, my son."

"Not unless somethin' happens t'her," he mutters, but too low for his mother to hear. Afu's brows narrow, however, as she catches his muzzle moving, and he gives her a winning, guileless smile, his bright, beautiful eyes staring at her. It was a look to break hearts: and, she figured, it probably would break hearts when he grew up. "I'd be tougher with a servant t'help me, mama, to help fight and learn how to. Maybe a teacher an' someone my age, a friend?"

Afu lightly licked the top of his head, which he tolerated, ears only jerking back a little in annoyance. "Perhaps. I'll have to talk to the Lord of the North; he could perhaps find a good teacher, although finding a well-bred cub to be a playmate ... that could be a problem. His own children are half-grown ... " Again, that unease; but why not? He deserved a playmate. Truth be told, she hadn't seen him much with his siblings ... perhaps he was the odd one out. Or perhaps he had survival skills ... but that was ridiculous. She did not want her offspring fighting for power. They would all have it, she had determined. One way ... or another.

She didn't see the flicker of a triumphant smile cross the boy's lips, which schooled itself into naive lines quickly enough. "I don't need an aristocrat, mama; it'd show we care for the common people as well if I take a friend that's not."

The black-pelted lioness blinks, her lovely purple eyes disappearing for a moment. She hadn't expected him to show that much political astuteness ... but it made good sense. More than good sense. "This is true," she agreed, one brow raising. "Alright. If you can find a cub from the lower classes - or an orphan cub to take in, there are sometimes several of those - you may. Not a whole troupe, Tyro. Just one." What was one more mouth, anyway, particularly a little one?

Bright eyes light up gleefully, and he purrs, rubbing his tiny body against her cheek. "Thank you, mama. I'll train hard, I promise." The sun dipped down then, and the faint glow from the craggy cliffs disappeared, leaving behind only the faint suggestion of sunlight.

Afu smiles gently down at him. Her son. It thrilled her, to have sons, and not just daughters, like she had before ... her son, and Ahali's. Of course, it was right that her firstborn was a girl ... the gods had known exactly how to bless her litter. The crown princess, not prince, but still ... she had princes, not just princesses. She was, amazingly, content.

The child stretches indolently, kicking dirt at the dead hare briefly before trotting off to the edge of the platform. "I'm gonna go back an' find my sibs to play, mama."

"That's fine. And Tyro ... be nice to your sister."

The prince looks back at her watching him with a cynical, hard look, brows knitted together warningly. His ears fell, a little, but he replied with a sweet smile, before bounding off.

The lioness watched him for some time, his tiny form making it's way among the rocks and boulders, before disappearing into the den below. Yes, she'd have to watch him. Her own family was filled with ambition, and if she wasn't careful, there could easily be breakouts among her own offspring. Above all costs, that must be avoided. She stretched, unwilling to leave the rapidly-cooling spot. Already, though, her body was coming awake with the sharp cold. As the stars blossomed overhead, a black shadow headed out across the lands. Night, and the hunt, beckoned.