Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Was reading some links from Digg when I found this gem.

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/11/what-if-a-snipe.html

Can the best engineers come up with a .50 cal bullet that can be guided after leaving the barrel? The government seems to have enough tax money to throw at the problem.

Taking bets on a possible solution that costs $100,000 per gun and $50 a round.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:52 pm
The idea for a guided round has actually been out for awhile.. i remember watching gun programs on the discovery channel, talking about how they wanted to make a fin stabilized round with tiny motors that would allow the head of the bullet to point itself in different directions, guided by a spotter's laser rangefinder.

But its nice that they're putting funding into it again. Granted there is a sniper rifle that's been built to work in tangent with a computer to calculate all that math jazz for super long distance shots, but to see the development of a guided bullet would be swet.  

Anima_Raptor

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:23 pm
Anima_Raptor
Granted there is a sniper rifle that's been built to work in tangent with a computer to calculate all that math jazz for super long distance shots, but to see the development of a guided bullet would be swet.
I think it's the other way around, it's a scope/"targeting system" that takes all the atmospheric and range s**t into account for the Barrett .50, with a given powder load and bullet weight.

I actually knew a guy working on a project to create .223 (or so I assumed, I don't know if he ever specified) rounds which airburst at a pre-set distance. That way if the target moves out of the way of a long-distance shot, the bullet detonates where he WAS, and hopefully peppers him with shrapnel. You can also tell it to explode a little before the set distance, so you can aim at a wall behind some sort of lower cover and pelt the guy with exploded bullet bits. That was a few years back though, so I assume it's either going really, really slowly or funding was cut.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:28 am
... if they make such a thing they're going to drop some of the sniper's training?

... what are you ******** retarded?
What about the eventuality that, oh I don't know, the ******** thing doesn't work in the field or that something goes wrong?  

Barru

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:59 pm
Barru
... if they make such a thing they're going to drop some of the sniper's training?

What about the eventuality that, oh I don't know, the ******** thing doesn't work in the field or that something goes wrong?
I highly doubt it would completely replace snipers, simply due to the cost of such a device. The CROWS system was supposed to replace a man on a turret, but it's too expensive, so they still have troops on a .50 cal. on the back of the Humvee. It probably would be a good area-denial weapon, though, but instead of making it automated, make it into a remote-controlled sniper weapon.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:02 pm
Requiem6661
Barru

I highly doubt it would completely replace snipers, simply due to the cost of such a device. The CROWS system was supposed to replace a man on a turret, but it's too expensive, so they still have troops on a .50 cal. on the back of the Humvee. It probably would be a good area-denial weapon, though, but instead of making it automated, make it into a remote-controlled sniper weapon.

Now that I could see it being used as.
But you're coupling extremely expensive equipment with... extremely expensive RC cars.  

Barru

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:00 pm
Barru
Requiem6661
Barru

Now that I could see it being used as.
But you're coupling extremely expensive equipment with... extremely expensive RC cars.
Yea. It would probably be better as an area-defense weapon, like around embassies. Think about it; an automated Barret M107 with a belt-feed (if it's possible) and armor-piercing bullets. You could stop anything short of an APC or tank; just blow out the engine.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games