Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
My mother is looking for a gun Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Barru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:18 am
After trying to explain the difference between a double action and a single action a bunch of times she's decided that she wants a double action semi-auto.

I tried to suggest her to get a Taurus that fires .357 or .38s but I dunno, she said they were too expensive. Mind you this was at Gander Mountain so it is going to be more expensive. Maybe I could coax her into getting a revolver anyway.

But she does want a semi-auto so...
.380?

She wants it for target and defense so there's that factor.

Perhaps a Bersa Thunder 380?

Ok, we went out and tried the 9mm, she said that it kicked a lot but after another magazine she said that she could get used to it.

So, I guess I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.

I'm trying to break the habbit of her calling a magazine a clip but as for trigger discipline I haven't... touched that yet.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:04 pm
We got my mom a Walther P99C in 9mm; she seems to be able to handle it pretty well as far as shooting goes. As for trigger discipline... well, we're still working on where not to point the muzzle (like at her son for example rolleyes ).  

Sniper561

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:12 pm
Yeah, I was going to say Bersa Thunder .380. Ruger also has a new super-compact .380 out. Saw it on one of the gun shows on the Outdoor Channel, though I don't quite remember its designation.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:38 pm
Trigger discipline is more important than calling a mag a clip. I suggest if you teach her anything it should be the safety stuff first then the technical terms for s**t.

For shits and giggles have her try something in .45.  

Rommel_Desert_Fox

Barru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 pm
Rommel_Desert_Fox
Trigger discipline is more important than calling a mag a clip. I suggest if you teach her anything it should be the safety stuff first then the technical terms for s**t.

For shits and giggles have her try something in .45.

... Well, I would but I'm afraid she would drop it.

I don't even have a lanyard loop on my 1911 so that's out of the question as well.

Well, yeah I think I'll go tell her about that right now.
She hasn't taken gun safety yet so I suppose it would be good to start on the essentials.
She does have common sense so she knows not to point a loaded gun at someone unless of course, she plans on blowing that person away.

I didn't expect to get a response so soon.
Anyway, Fallout crashed again and I decided to check here.

So how much would I expect a Bersa Thunder to cost at a gun show used price and new would be good.

How about a cheaper 9mm that isn't a... Glock or HiPoint?

I threw the idea of a Makarov and she just said that it was interesting. stare

Oh yeah, she's not looking for conceal and carry kinds.

Hmm, Taurus PT 92?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:02 pm
Barru
Glock 9mms don't kB!. That's the higher calibers, their 9mms are very sturdy. For .380, I've heard good things about the Bersa Thunder, and there's always the Walther PPK. Lorcin and Raven Arms both make nearly identical .380s that together account for about four times more gun deaths in crime than any other gun, so they can't be THAT bad, and they're cheap too. I've also heard about the Walther PPS, which is a single-stack 9mm and very small because of it, but I've heard some... things about Walther's newer models. My mom carries a Star PD in .45, but I don't recommend that at all. Jams all the damn time, no matter what she does with it. You should really consider Glock. The 19 is a compact 9mm, and comes in a compensated model, and the 26 is downright tiny as a subcompact. The Glock 25 and 28 are both in .380, and... WTF? They make Glocks in .357 Magnum?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:25 pm
Fresnel
Barru
Glock 9mms don't kB!. That's the higher calibers, their 9mms are very sturdy. For .380, I've heard good things about the Bersa Thunder, and there's always the Walther PPK. Lorcin and Raven Arms both make nearly identical .380s that together account for about four times more gun deaths in crime than any other gun, so they can't be THAT bad, and they're cheap too. I've also heard about the Walther PPS, which is a single-stack 9mm and very small because of it, but I've heard some... things about Walther's newer models. My mom carries a Star PD in .45, but I don't recommend that at all. Jams all the damn time, no matter what she does with it. You should really consider Glock. The 19 is a compact 9mm, and comes in a compensated model, and the 26 is downright tiny as a subcompact. The Glock 25 and 28 are both in .380, and... WTF? They make Glocks in .357 Magnum?

Yeah I know they're good 9mms. I just don't like the look of them.

She's not looking for a conceal gun.

Glock .357 magnum?
... I hope you read it wrong and got .357 Magnum from .357 SIG.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 pm
I don't know what the pricing is like for guns, but a bretta 92 would be a quality gun to go for if it's in your price range.  

chimpinator

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:48 pm
Fresnel
Barru
Make sure if you get a used G19, that it is NOT A FIRST GENERATION.

The ORIGINAL G19 failed the "frisbee test" used by the DEA. So, they were not considered.
The Frisbee Test is throwing the gun. 6 feet or so, onto concrete. The SLIDE CAME OFF. This has been fixed in later generations with re-sized slide rails. SOME first generation G19s have this fixed if they had been sent in for repairs after a certain date, as a part of a warranty-covered "upgrade and overhaul". The G19, now is a great 9mm pistol, even though I still knock GLOCKs. Their other pistols may KB, but they don't KB quite as spectacularly as an FN 57 (Five seveN).

Have you had her try a Springfield XD9 yet?

From what I've heard of the Taurus guns, they are good. I'm looking at getting one of their 1911s, myself.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:03 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Barru
Make sure if you get a used G19, that it is NOT A FIRST GENERATION.

The ORIGINAL G19 failed the "frisbee test" used by the DEA. So, they were not considered.
The Frisbee Test is throwing the gun. 6 feet or so, onto concrete. The SLIDE CAME OFF. This has been fixed in later generations with re-sized slide rails. SOME first generation G19s have this fixed if they had been sent in for repairs after a certain date, as a part of a warranty-covered "upgrade and overhaul". The G19, now is a great 9mm pistol, even though I still knock GLOCKs. Their other pistols may KB, but they don't KB quite as spectacularly as an FN 57 (Five seveN).

Have you had her try a Springfield XD9 yet?

From what I've heard of the Taurus guns, they are good. I'm looking at getting one of their 1911s, myself.

I haven't even held an XD9.

I'm pretty sure the only handguns she's held are; Walther P1, Tokarev, Nagant, The Judge, Taurus 357/38 (not sure of the model), S&W m 39, and a S&W .357 Magnum revolver (can't remember the model).
I think he said the Taurus was capable of using .38 +P or something.

On another note, I finally got to look at a Judge today and hold one.
Ooo... it's so cool.

Yeah I heard Taurus' are good and cheap too.  

Barru

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:23 pm
I'm sure you already know my whole rant about why I like XDs. The only problem I see her having with an XD is the force needed to pull the slide back. Granted I can only comment on the XD45 model, I'm sure it's abnormally strong for all models. Ooooh.... What about a brand new XDM in .40S&W?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 am
Barru
Fresnel
Barru

Glock .357 magnum?
Not for conceal? Well then, that opens up new realms.

Yeah, Wikipedia says .357SIG, Glock's website only says ".357". I assumed wrong.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:51 am
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
Barru

Glock .357 magnum?
Not for conceal? Well then, that opens up new realms.

Yeah, Wikipedia says .357SIG, Glock's website only says ".357". I assumed wrong.

... that's the official Glock website saying .357? eek
I've heard of Glocks in SIG 357 but not .357 Mag.

Well I gotta pick up the dog then I'm going to drop her off here and then I'm going to head to the show.

At least the search parameters were cut down to semi-autos that are less than or equal to $300.
stare

Oh yeah, when we went to menards yesterday and bought a 30" steel door.
I wanted to get a 6 panel but... they only had the flush.
It's a left swing but I'm not sure exactly what kind of dead bolt and lock to get on it.

I am going to... reinforce the mount. A few screws here... a few plates of metal there...
a shotgun hooked up to a lever--- nah I'm kidding about that part.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:59 pm
Barru
It only said .357, it didn't specify SIG or MAG, but looking back again, it had a picture of a .357SIG, so I'm blind.

Quote:
http://www.firequest.com/catalog/Hv005moreifno.html

EDIT: HAHAHA, 'more ifno' xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 am
Fresnel
Barru
It only said .357, it didn't specify SIG or MAG, but looking back again, it had a picture of a .357SIG, so I'm blind.

Quote:
http://www.firequest.com/catalog/Hv005moreifno.html

EDIT: HAHAHA, 'more ifno' xd

Well, if I had something like that it would be aimed at where the door would be opening and it would have a threaded barrel so it was actually effective.

Too bad you can't boobytrap your house... legally.

I would do that with my gun safe too.
Orly? You're breaking into my gun safe? Well, here's some 00 buck for your trouble.

Ok, well against my suggesting of getting a Sig 225 in 9mm for $299 she went and got this... other.
I don't even know what the brand is and I have never heard of them.
I forgot what she paid but it was less than 299.
Christ, I should have said that I would have paid the difference.

It's a P9RZ.
Looks to me like a rip off of the S&W M 39 or M 59 and made into a compact. Although the guy selling it said it was a knock off of some type of Browning. Ambi thumb safety, that's nice. Hammer is flush with the slide.

It does appear to have a steel frame or at least it's not some kind of alloy.

The outside seems like a nice finish but the inside seems to be... some kind of brown.
It comes off onto my oil rag but honestly I'm not sure if it's rust or some kind of crud they put on it.

In my opinion, I'm not all too happy about the purchase.
It's a b***h to pull the trigger and a b***h and a half to chamber. It goes fine for a bit, then it hits something and it's ******** hard to go the rest of the way.
She says that she'll get used to it.

I got something though.
A Mosin Nagant with a hex receiver from 1926. ^.^

A bit of woe though, I tried to find someone that would buy my P1 and they get them from the importers for $250.
sad

Well, I'll try that one gunshop that I got my PSL from and see if he would take it or do a trade in.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff