Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wicca and Solitary Wicca Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you appreciate a defined spilt between Wicca and Solitary Wicca?
  Yea go for it!!
  Not a chance
  Wouldn't make a difference
  I'm on the fence
View Results

doistu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am
So...we often meet the ageless debate of who has and hasn't got the right to call themselves a Wiccan.

I understand both sides of the arguement.
Initiatated Wiccans want to preserve and protect their beliefs for future generations and initiates in the othropraxic, oath-bound, mystery religion. No reason why they shouldn't do that either.

Then again, those who follow many of the beliefs and principles found in Wicca, who choose not to become initiated Wiccans, feel that they should be allowed to adopt the title.

I'm suggesting a split. Those who wish to keep to traditional Wicca go by Wiccan. Those who adopt a solitary lifestyle go by Solitary Wiccan.

The difference is clear and fewer people will get offended surely? As long as those involved understand what is Wicca and what is Solitary Wicca then who is it harming?

Thoughts please.

Blessed be xx  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:53 am
Some of it has already been addressed in this thread, but it's always good to get some fresh thoughts on the subject. biggrin  

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

doistu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 am
Oopss!! Sorry...didn't see it. Apologies  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:09 pm
hmm, i agree on that point, tho i do feel there are many Wiccans who feel that if you are not initiated into the religion, then you should not call yourself wiccan, or even a practiotioner of solitary wicca. while i feel this to be slightly over the top, i do understand why they get upset about it. so i'm with both sides on this debate.  

Aryain Flames

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:49 pm
Aryain Flames
hmm, i agree on that point, tho i do feel there are many Wiccans who feel that if you are not initiated into the religion, then you should not call yourself wiccan,

Well, if you were a doctor I'm sure you wouldn't want other people who have not received proper medical training to call themselves a doctor, right? It's kind of the same thing for Wicca; if people have not recieved the proper initiation or training then they should not be calling themselves Wiccan.
Quote:
or even a practiotioner of solitary wicca.

Because solitary Wicca doesn't actually exist.
The rites of Wicca require a coven environment; to try to do them by yourself breaks out of the orthopraxic nature of Wicca and thus the rituals cease to be Wiccan rituals.
Quote:
while i feel this to be slightly over the top, i do understand why they get upset about it. so i'm with both sides on this debate.

It does seem that way at first; I thought that too for a while. But really they just want their faith to not be twisted and lied about anymore. When Wiccans take their oaths at initiation they swear to defend their faith, even should it cost them their life. So it's understandable that they are defensive about their faith.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm
The Wiccan tradition is oathbound and orthopraxic.

Which means:

If you aren't practicing what the covens practice, you aren't Wiccan. And the only way of knowing what the covens practice is to be part of a coven.

Gardner founded Wicca. If you aren't practicing what he said was Wicca, you aren't practicing Wicca.

You're practicing something else.
Most likely eclectic neo-Paganism.

`Blaise

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:27 pm
okay. i have a queston. what if there is no way to be initiated because of your location? like, i know its almost impossible,but what if there is no coven in your area? i live in thonotosassa,floirda,and i do not know many wiccans. i think the clerk at family dollar is because he does wear a pentacle,but am not sure. please feel free to comment and enlighten me. but,i digress. what if we cannot be initiated by someone that actually lives in your area? i dont think we should have to like move because of this.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm
serena304
okay. i have a queston. what if there is no way to be initiated because of your location?

Being in the service of the Lord and Lady of the Isles often requires sacrifice - time, money, etc... It's not a path for everyone.
Have you checked out Amber and Jet? It's a Yahoo! Group and mailing list for Seekers and such; you might find something on there.
Quote:
like, i know its almost impossible,but what if there is no coven in your area? i live in thonotosassa,floirda,and i do not know many wiccans. i think the clerk at family dollar is because he does wear a pentacle,but am not sure.

Check out Amber and Jet.
Also...I know a girl who wears a "pentacle" at work as well, but she's more of an odd Catholic xd . The pentacle has some differing meanings for different people. It could just be even that the clerk just likes the way it looks and it doesn't have a spiritual meaning to him/her.
Quote:
please feel free to comment and enlighten me. but,i digress. what if we cannot be initiated by someone that actually lives in your area? i dont think we should have to like move because of this.

Perhaps initiation is not meant for you right now. You should not expect a coven to spring up in your backyard.
When the time is right, and if you are meant to be Wiccan, a teacher will be provided. This doesn't mean you can sit back and wait idly though wink . Just...don't be too anxious when it doesn't look like there's no proper Wiccans close by.
I know of a Wiccan who pops into the M&R sometimes and she travels about 4 hours (round-trip) just to be with her coven...so to travel a good distance isn't unusual.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:43 pm
ahh... thank you. ^^ ill check it out.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:46 pm
serena304
ahh... thank you. ^^ ill check it out.

No problem ^_^

It might also be helpful to read the works of Gerald Gardner
Witchcraft Today
The Meaning of Witchcraft
And there's also the Wiccan FAQ that is located on Gaia.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 pm
hm. thank you! you are very helpful. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 pm
I think a split wouldn't make a difference to me. It's hard to become an initiated wiccan when there are no other wiccans near you. that is my place in this. I'm solitary cause i can't find any other wiccans to be initiated.  

wiccan of the moon

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 pm
queen_of_wolves15
I think a split wouldn't make a difference to me. It's hard to become an initiated wiccan when there are no other wiccans near you. that is my place in this. I'm solitary cause i can't find any other wiccans to be initiated.

This is true, it is very difficult to become a Wiccan. If you are a Seeker or are considering becoming a Seeker of Wicca, you can sign up to the Amber and Jet mailing list linked by Violet earlier in this thread. There's also Witchvox, but be aware that not every coven that claims to be Wiccan is Wiccan, and always get a vouch for the HP and HPS ^_^ They should be more than happy to provide their lineage.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 am
doistu
So...we often meet the ageless debate of who has and hasn't got the right to call themselves a Wiccan.

I understand both sides of the arguement.
Initiatated Wiccans want to preserve and protect their beliefs for future generations and initiates in the othropraxic, oath-bound, mystery religion. No reason why they shouldn't do that either.

Then again, those who follow many of the beliefs and principles found in Wicca, who choose not to become initiated Wiccans, feel that they should be allowed to adopt the title.

I'm suggesting a split. Those who wish to keep to traditional Wicca go by Wiccan. Those who adopt a solitary lifestyle go by Solitary Wiccan.

The difference is clear and fewer people will get offended surely? As long as those involved understand what is Wicca and what is Solitary Wicca then who is it harming?

Thoughts please.

Blessed be xx

Alas, the age-old debate. I need a refresher, anyway. It's been awhile since I've been here, and it's only been lately that I've begun my rituals again (my dauughter keeps me very busy, and now, 've foonud the time to do othher things).

I agree with you; Wiccans within covens who worked hard for their title have a right to preserve said title, but not the right to tell me (and other solitariies) that we have to denounce our title, as well. I've worked just as hard as those withiin a coven, and despite trailing off for a bit (children do that to you), I have not denounced my faith. So long as I keep my beliefs, and do my best to practice it, and continue to study, I will always be a student of the Goddess and God.

So, Solitary Wiccan I am. It doesn't make me anymore or any less Wiccan than those with specific teachings, surrounded by others.  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am
Also, I've heard tell that you can find sites now, in which you can get all your studying of Wicca done there, and if you do well on the site(s), a High Priestess or Priest will grant you the title of Wiccan. But, I haven't checked it out yet, myself. I'll pass on the link, if it seems genuine.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games