Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Uneducated Gun People and Books Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 pm
So I'm reading Lee Child's "Tripwire" and it's finally getting interesting (the other four of his I've read get a lot better a lot quicker...) but the writer doesn't know much about guns, even if he pretends he does. In one book he referred to bullets as having firing pins and Glocks as having external safeties.

And in this one he goes on about how the .38 Special is somehow a very weak cartridge. He basically says it's like a .22. Said there was some guy that had to shoot himself five times in the head with a .38 to kill himself.

He refers to cartridges as shells.

Stuff like that. Any of you that read books find similar mistakes?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:38 pm
Seriously? Do these people know nothing about the almighty Google?  

Freak_090
Captain

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:12 pm
Not so much in books but alot in movies and tv.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm
Orkronos

Yeah, but you expect book writers to be a little smarter than television writers, considering the marketed audience and all. Oh yeah, the character in question that the narrator was representing in accusations of the .38 saw the Steyr GB, as I remember, as an amazing handgun. Can anyone comment on this?  

ArmasTermin

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 am
ArmasTermin
Orkronos

Yeah, but you expect book writers to be a little smarter than television writers, considering the marketed audience and all. Oh yeah, the character in question that the narrator was representing in accusations of the .38 saw the Steyr GB, as I remember, as an amazing handgun. Can anyone comment on this?
Yah Im reading a book called "An Arafat Man." Good book is written by a former muslem sniper that was the right hand of Yasser Arafat. Now hes a christian and helps people in hospitals all around the holy land.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 am
I seem to remember either reading or being told about a book where a man not only cocks the hammer on his Glock, he also clicks the trigger three or four times.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:57 am
Fresnel
I seem to remember either reading or being told about a book where a man not only cocks the hammer on his Glock, he also clicks the trigger three or four times.

They do that on TV shows too.

It annoys the ******** out of me. They don't c**k the hammer, but every time someone raises a gun there's that same sampled sound that they've used since the Enforcer and it's pissing me off.

Why do they use sampled sounds? Why can't they do their own?
Cartoons use the same baby sound every time.
That's pissing me off too.

Saw some stupid horror movie, I think it was Jeepers Creepers or some s**t, the one where this Gargoyle or whatever comes to life and rapes the s**t out the human race. Anyway, this guy has a flare gun, an H&K Raketenpistolen 78, and while being chased by said Gargoyle he fell and turned around. Cocked the flaregun and fired.
Mind you, the hammer on these 'Rocket Pistols' doesn't make a sound until the sear catches the hammer which makes a very distinct snap or pop depending on whether the chamber is empty or not.
But apparently that's too wussy, so they added the cocking sound of a Navy Colt or a S&W Mod 29.

Other than the Army of Darkness series, B grade movies suck d**k.

Hey, I saw a commercial for Burn Notice for the upcoming new season in January.
... it's gunfail is pissing me off.
"He prefers an AK-47 to SPF-11."
1. SPF 11 ... I can't find any so nonexistant?
2. ... he wasn't holding an AK. He wasn't even holding something that was remotely Eastern Bloc.

I couldn't get a good look, but it's either some kind of AR variant or a G36 with a different scope and not the stock one.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

It annoys the ******** out of me. They don't c**k the hammer, but every time someone raises a gun there's that same sampled sound that they've used since the Enforcer and it's pissing me off.

Saw some stupid horror movie, I think it was Jeepers Creepers or some s**t, the one where this Gargoyle or whatever comes to life and rapes the s**t out the human race. Anyway, this guy has a flare gun, an H&K Raketenpistolen 78, and while being chased by said Gargoyle he fell and turned around. Cocked the flaregun and fired.
Mind you, the hammer on these 'Rocket Pistols' doesn't make a sound until the sear catches the hammer which makes a very distinct snap or pop depending on whether the chamber is empty or not.
But apparently that's too wussy, so they added the cocking sound of a Navy Colt or a S&W Mod 29.

2. ... he wasn't holding an AK. He wasn't even holding something that was remotely Eastern Bloc.

I couldn't get a good look, but it's either some kind of AR variant or a G36 with a different scope and not the stock one.
SPF-11... what's he fighting, THE SUN?

Oh wait, 'burn notice'...? Maybe.

Also, it annoys me how few shows accurately recreate AK-47 chatter.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:03 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Well, the show is based out of Miami.
So, yeah, I guess he kind of is.

Anyway, spy for the US that got burned, in other words, ******** over completely. He's trying to get his job back or figure out who burned him and why.
A more detailed explanation is on imdb.

I missed the last episode of the latest season and they're not replaying it which is pissing me the ******** off, since I saw ads for the new season that pretty much gave away everything on that last episode for the ********? As in the sound of the gun firing?
Me too.
I always wonder how a Tec 9 sounds exactly like the sound effects on the MG42s in Band of Brothers.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:39 pm
Barru
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Well, the show is based out of Miami.
So, yeah, I guess he kind of is.

Anyway, spy for the US that got burned, in other words, ******** over completely. He's trying to get his job back or figure out who burned him and why.
A more detailed explanation is on imdb.

I missed the last episode of the latest season and they're not replaying it which is pissing me the ******** off, since I saw ads for the new season that pretty much gave away everything on that last episode for the ********? As in the sound of the gun firing?
Me too.
I always wonder how a Tec 9 sounds exactly like the sound effects on the MG42s in Band of Brothers.
Didn't the Thompson have a distinctive chatter as well? I forget. I wonder if an 88 sounds like they do in BoB too.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:31 pm
Granted that in the advertisement for the new season he isn't holding an AK47, Burn Notice is very keen with there weapons knowledge.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm
I think I heard a Mauser Broomhandle on TV sound like Coyote smith's gun in Killer 7, whch is some kind of modified revolver.

I still love that game, though.  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 pm
Freak_090
Granted that in the advertisement for the new season he isn't holding an AK47, Burn Notice is very keen with there weapons knowledge.

Yeah, they're pretty good about it.
So I guess they really need to Trebuchet their advertising department.
Not just fire, I literally mean, load them into a Trebuchet and launch them into the Florida Keys, or try to at least.
Oh, did I leave out the part about breaking one of their legs?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 pm
Watched Bolt today. Disney movie. Surprised the hell out of me with gun knowledge. Prior to firing its minigun, one of the helicopters actually spun it up for a few seconds. Never did actually fire it though.

Go Disney.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:10 pm
Tom Clancy always does a good job biggrin  
Chatterbox/Humor