Reply Buying and Advice
Good AR-15 setup?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CptBlackKawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 pm
I know, its almost a year away, but I'm already planning for my AR-15.
I came up with a bit of a setup today and wondered what you guys thought.
I have $1,500 put to the side for my AR-15 next year, and this total came just beneath that.
A DPMS Panther Bull Sweet Sixteen (stock) with barrel threading because I want to put a break on it, an extra 10 round magazine, slip on recoil pads (Not sure if I want these yet or not, tell me!), and an EOTech 512 Holographic Diffraction Sight.

Also, each Rifle comes with 2 - 30 round magazines, 1-Nylon Web Sling, and 1-Cleaning Kit...If I order from the website, which I don't know for sure if I'll do or not.
My brother thinks he can find me one for cheaper, so yeah...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm
Chuck the brake and the recoil pad, ARs have no felt recoil at all. It's on par with a heavy .22LR rifle. My only complaint is that the cleats on the buttstock can hurt, but a decent sweatshirt or jacket fixes that perfectly.

Also, ten round magazines disappear into the mag well. 20 rounds at least.

Finally, SINCE THE TOPIC IS HERE, someone want to review my build? mrgreen
http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/journal.php?mode=view&post_id=24396165&u=4659718  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

CptBlackKawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 pm
Yeah, I figured I'd just go without the pads.
I thought it was the ten rounders that poked out of the mag well a bit! =[
This saddens me, I really wanted them.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:04 pm
I like the 20 rounders... they give some capacity, along with slimming the profile of the weapon a little.

I was planning on getting a DPMS M4, flat top with a threaded barrel, for... a "flash Suppressor" havent really thought about the furniture yet. But i do know i want a Aimpoint Comp 2 on top, surefire light... i was thinking with one of those "offset" mounts (anyone deal with those yet?) I'm not to big on the forward vertical grips... but its not something i've totally ruled out.  

Crash Maniac

CptBlackKawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm
Are the 20 rounders the ones that barely stick out of the mag well, then? =

I considered an M4 version, but I don't like how stubby they look.

Get the Kitty-Kat!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 pm
word on the streetinternet is that DPMS is shitty. 1500 will get you a noveske or a colt, if you get on the waiting list now you might even have it by next year lol  

inconsequential

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 pm
inconsequential
word on the streetinternet is that DPMS is shitty. 1500 will get you a noveske or a colt, if you get on the waiting list now you might even have it by next year lol
I've shot some DPMS myself and never had a problem with them. They're pretty damn solid.

I can tell you though, in all my years of competition, the line was full of DPMS and Rock River, with no Colts or Noveskes. Hell, I've never even HEARD of Noveske before.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 am
All the reviews I've heard of it have been good, but I dunno...They say for how cheap they are, they're amazing.

Also, I've got to agree with Fresnel...I've never heard the name Noveske in my life.  

CptBlackKawk

inconsequential

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:55 pm
it's because noveske rifles start at 1400 dollars, with some of their uppers alone costing that much (and some cost more). some of their guns are in the 3k range. they also have pretty much the best barrels around and the waiting list for just a barrel is months (or so i've heard). noveskerifleworks.com the n4s go up to like 2200 i think, and the 7.62 models start at 3k.

colts are expensive too. the 6920 is supposed to be very nice, and it's priced around 1500 i think. although right now it looks like all the post-election panic is putting them up around 2k.

but yeah, the reason you haven't seen really expensive rifles on the line is probably because most people balk at spending that much on what is essentially a toy. i did, i realized i could get a 556 and nice optics for what a N4 flat-top would cost me.

also to the OP, you do not want a muzzle break on your AR. the recoil is practically non-existent and all a break will do is make the gun even louder, to point where it may be damaging your hearing even if you double up your hearing protection.

edit: from what i read DPMS prices are on par with Stag, and Stag stuff is better; so get a Stag.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:17 pm
inconsequential
but yeah, the reason you haven't seen really expensive rifles on the line is probably because most people balk at spending that much on what is essentially a toy. i did, i realized i could get a 556 and nice optics for what a N4 flat-top would cost me.
That works, until you realize that half the line has Tubb 2000s, which is $4550 stock, and most are heavily modified.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:12 pm
inconsequential

confused

I don't know about that, I have always heard people swear by DPMS's quality and reliability.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Fresnel
That works, until you realize that half the line has Tubb 2000s, which is $4550 stock, and most are heavily modified.

huh, dunno then. noveske is pretty much the top of the line as far as standard ARs go (as in, not crazy target rifles like that tubb 2000 thing).  

inconsequential

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 pm
Freak_090
inconsequential

confused

I don't know about that, I have always heard people swear by DPMS's quality and reliability.
Same here. I've never really heard anyone smack DPMS. I forget now if it was DPMS or Armalite, but one of them had insufficient twist to stabilize an 80 grain bullet. I thought it was Armalite, but someone said he used to do it all the time with his M15, soooo...

Then again, how often is Joe Schmoe gonna reload with 80-grainers? They don't even fit in a magazine.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:36 pm
inconsequential
Fresnel

huh, dunno then. noveske is pretty much the top of the line as far as standard ARs go (as in, not crazy target rifles like that tubb 2000 thing).
Yeah, the Tubb is about as far from an AR you can get while still being based on an AR. I mean, the thing's a BOLT ACTION.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas