Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Resin casting into steel and/or glass eyelets?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mindy_does_stuff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:43 am
I was inspired by these silicone plugs on www.bodyartforms.com
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But they're $50 on sale, and that's just too much for me.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with casting resin into bottomless tubes like eyelets. As I am stretching still, the eyelets would be made of steel or glass, MAYBE silicone like this product, but probably not since I'm in the process of stretching and still have a few mm to go until I'm at my desired 10mm.

Any ideas on how to make it not leak out the bottom?

I'm pretty sure this can be done; ran a search on etsy and found this gem
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php..._id=1032 4920

Also, since this would be at a smaller diameter than those on the etsy page, any suggestions of what to cast into them? I'm not really a huge girly-girl so glitter would be kind of iffy for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:18 pm
Resin is fairly thin when you cast it, but it's not horribly runny. I would suggest seeing if they have a sort of 'cradle' you can fit the eyelets into. A tiny cap or cup out of soft plastic or rubber that would fit fairly tightly around the eyelet would be perfect. They may make something like that available at a local crafts store as a grommeting tool. That way the resin would be held in the cup and not allowed to run aound of the sides and any extra that might leak out around the eyelet you could trim off with an X-Acto knife.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces