Reply *~Purple Moonlight Haze~*
Controvertial Topic Time. Go!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

We're the kids of America!
  Woah!
  wtf does that have to do with the topic!???
View Results

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 pm
We usually talk about relatively light hearted things so I thought I'd throw something different into the mix.

Abortion and Stem cell research since they kind of tie together.
Throw out opinions, tell me what you think.
Are you for?
Against?
Tell me even if you think you'll offend me. I won't be offended. Infact, I enjoy a good debate.

My opinion to get this started:
I support abortion.
Why I support abortion is I think it should be the woman's choice. And there are some circumstances where I think it should definetely be allowed, as in rape. If you end up pregnant from a rape I believe you should be allowed to abort the pregnancy. If they know you by name in the abortion clinic because it's your third abortion in the past six months, tenth in the past year and a half, then there's a problem though.
But I do not support those abortions they do, I don't know or can't recall what they're called, where the baby could possibly survive outside the womb with support.

I support stem cell research on aborted fetuses.
I believe that if you're just going to throw it away, basically what they do, then you should atleast get some use out of it. That could be a cruel way of thinking about it but it's somewhat similar to what I think of vegetarianism/veganism. It's already dead, why not eat it? It'll just go to waste if I don't eat it. If the fetus is aborted and already dead, why not use it for research? It'll just be thrown away if we don't use it. And if the research goes how we think it will then it can save lifes. Thousands of people die on organ donor waiting lists.

I'm typically not an opinionated person but this is one thing I do happen to have opinions on.

So go ahead, bash my opinions into the dust, or support them with your own, stay neutral if you'd like.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:46 am
I luvs a good debate I do :3
Anyway just to be clear: I don't know much about stem cell research ><
anyway:

Abortion:
My view on it is basically teh difference between personal feelings vs personal rights. So I belive 100% that everyone should have the right to an abortion by law, and that it's completely worng for governments to try and stop it (since, frankly, it's going to happen anyway.) if you scrap teh law, you just end up with a load of dead or injured mothers who's tried to have an illegal abortion anyway and then wonder why they get torn/infertile/an infection.
That saud, personally I view it as taking a life, which is sad. I don't tink i'd ever have one - because personally I couldn't live with myself.
But I still belive people should be able to make their own choice, and I'd never judge anyone for having one.

Stem Cell research:
As far as I knew, stem cell research involved creating some (albeit early developed) living foetuses which you then subsequently kill while you get the stem cell stuff. so it's creating batches of life for no other purpose than just to kill them. That seemed wrong to me.
But, if as zizzy says, you can get the exact same results from using already long-dead foetuses, then i'd support it. It's only like someone dedicating their body to science. Like zizzy says- a corpse is a corpse.  

dragontamer363
Crew

Andy _1134

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 am
Abortion:
I think that forceing a woman to keep a baby that she did not intend to have is wrong. But I also belive that there should be a limit to how many times she can have a pregnacy aborted.Wemon how have mulitipule abortions should give valed reason as to why they are aborting.

Stem Cells:
As far as I know this could be done in two diffrent ways. A Aborted Fetus or by useing your own stem cells. I actually belive that we should try to avoid useing fetus cells unless it is absolutly necasary. I herd a news story about a lady who had her voice box removed and had anthor one implanted. This new voice box was made from her own stem cells.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:32 pm
So we agree on abortion it should be choice.

but as for stem cells, I probably don't know as much about it as I think, but you can use aborted fetuses to get stem cells and if you do the abortion early enough the fetus wouldn't be able to live outside the womb so it would be dead. It can't be long dead as you said though, they have to get the stem cells from it relatively quickly for them to still be alive, atleast that's how I understand it.

And you can use your own stem cells but it is extremely painful. To get stem cells from a person they typically have to get it from bone marrow and the biggest bone in the body is the femur. So to get the stem cells, imagine this happening to you it makes me squirm, they take a big needle, numb your leg, and jab it in there past the skin, past the muscle, into the bone. Now they can numb it but they can't numb down that far so you can still feel it going through bone and muscle.

Imagining that makes my legs feel all tingly and just freaks me out a bit.

My anatomy teacher was talking about stem cell research one day and told us about that lady who got the voice box implant from her own stem cells and that's when he told us about how they get stem cells from a human body. The whole class looked uncomfortable thinking about that needle going into their leg.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Andy _1134

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:28 pm
Actually they are working on a painless way to get it. they plan on useing your skin cells. The cells are almost basic enough to make even the most complexed cells.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:44 pm
skin cells are much beter than bigass needles-haha

who needs a new voicbox anyway? get one of thsoe machines as sound like a dalek instead biggrin  

dragontamer363
Crew

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:33 pm
I've heard about the skin cells way from a friend.

It's no where near ready to be able to regrow organs and such that way though, or that's what I've heard. I've not researched it.

I think the bone marrow way is the way they're using right now as they're working the the skin cell way.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm
then there is the last way it involves no pain to you and only requires 1 aborted fetus. We take cells from the fetus and we clone the cells. Makeing mulitpul copies to be used in many diffrent ways.  

Andy _1134

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:01 pm
That last way is the way that's controversial.

I'm for that one because people will abort fetuses anyway so we may as well get some use from it.

That doesn't mean I'm against the skin cell and bone marrow ways. The fetus way is just he one they think will work best so far.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:45 am
Andy _1134
Abortion:
I think that forceing a woman to keep a baby that she did not intend to have is wrong. But I also belive that there should be a limit to how many times she can have a pregnacy aborted.Wemon how have mulitipule abortions should give valed reason as to why they are aborting.

Stem Cells:
As far as I know this could be done in two diffrent ways. A Aborted Fetus or by useing your own stem cells. I actually belive that we should try to avoid useing fetus cells unless it is absolutly necasary. I herd a news story about a lady who had her voice box removed and had anthor one implanted. This new voice box was made from her own stem cells.

Mmmkay, this sounds similar to mine. But as for a limit on abortions?
If they want to get rid of the baby everytime they get pregnant, then how will they treat they baby if they're not allowed to have an abortion? Obviously placing it for adoption would be one thing, but just think of how many kids might end up going in there because their mothers didn't want them.
And what about the fathers who want to be with their kid? Don't they get a say in this, too?
Not trying to sound mean or anything. If a woman was raped, if the baby has no way of surviving (ie died in the womb), or if there was a high possiblility that the mom or baby or both would end up dying, then I can understand abortion. I would personally never have an abortion, but if someone else wants to, I think it's their complete right.  

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:48 am
Of course, I'm not saying that women who have several abortions are going to have one everytime, or that they're evil. I know a girl who had an abortion because there was no way it could have survived, but she still wants a kid...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 am
Black_Angel_Flowne
Of course, I'm not saying that women who have several abortions are going to have one everytime, or that they're evil. I know a girl who had an abortion because there was no way it could have survived, but she still wants a kid...

My firned had an abortion for that reason - she was too skinny/vegetarian or whatever to be able to support the birth. The tragic thing is that after a lot of worrying she decided to keep the baby, but was then told that it would have to be aborted sinc eit was so risky.  

dragontamer363
Crew

*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces