Submit

Do you miss me ?
  yesh
  no not really
  {V}_{^W^}_{V}
View Results

diseased robot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:33 pm
why do shop owners own a shotgun ? i mean its pretty big for use in the counter and couldn't they use a magnum to do the job ?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Hmm, hard to say.
It could be a big stereotype about shopkeepers and also, how about the shops that are in places that don't like handguns?
confused

Easier to hit a fast tweaker with a shotgun than a handgun.  

OberFeldwebel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm
isitcanbe1911tiemnao?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 pm
I'm going to bash you in the head.

Too big is entirely subjective to a person's comfort and training. Some instructors will tell you anything bigger than a .38 snubbie is too big for anything. I believe that a shotgun is damn near perfect when coming down to multi-use self defense inside and outside the home at medium to short ranges. A carbine or rifle are also damn near perfect for medium to long ranges. My local shop has a custom super-shorty Remington 870 AOW behind the counter, for display AND defense. His current long arm stock consists of shotguns (I plan on asking prices once I start paying more than $100 chunks on my Taurus). All the counter men also carry their daily carry firearms. As demonstrated when asked, a counterman can grab one of the shotguns on display, shoulder it and rack the slide in ~2sec. The AOW is just on safe. None of the display firearms other than the AOW are loaded, though, so that customers can inspect and handle them.

Next time you say Magnum without referring to a cartridge that ENDS in Magnum, I'm nominating you for First Firearm N00b of 2009. Wait, s**t, Grunge already got that. Second, then.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm
uryu ishida
I'm going to bash you in the head.

Too big is entirely subjective to a person's comfort and training. Some instructors will tell you anything bigger than a .38 snubbie is too big for anything. I believe that a shotgun is damn near perfect when coming down to multi-use self defense inside and outside the home at medium to short ranges. A carbine or rifle are also damn near perfect for medium to long ranges. My local shop has a custom super-shorty Remington 870 AOW behind the counter, for display AND defense. His current long arm stock consists of shotguns (I plan on asking prices once I start paying more than $100 chunks on my Taurus). All the counter men also carry their daily carry firearms. As demonstrated when asked, a counterman can grab one of the shotguns on display, shoulder it and rack the slide in ~2sec. The AOW is just on safe. None of the display firearms other than the AOW are loaded, though, so that customers can inspect and handle them.

Next time you say Magnum without referring to a cartridge that ENDS in Magnum, I'm nominating you for First Firearm N00b of 2009. Wait, s**t, Grunge already got that. Second, then.

Hmm, Grunge Kitten has made firearm n00b of the year a lot... and month.
She takes the cake, and this is no betty crocker shitcake, it's German Chocolate cake, it's made of win.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm
First of all, my grandfather owned a hardware store, and he kept a .32 rimfire behind the counter. Still have it, I could hide the damn thing in my hand, but the ammo is so shitty and rare I don't dare shoot it.

Second, the shotgun not only has the intimidation factor of a barrel you could stick your thumb down, but you don't really have to aim it. Anyone robbing you is going to be RIGHT in front of you, so if you wanted, you could even take the shot through the counter to kneecap the guy before he even has a chance to see the thing. At those ranges, an open choke would be ideal, allowing for maximum spread.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 pm
Fresnel
First of all, my grandfather owned a hardware store, and he kept a .32 rimfire behind the counter. Still have it, I could hide the damn thing in my hand, but the ammo is so shitty and rare I don't dare shoot it.

Second, the shotgun not only has the intimidation factor of a barrel you could stick your thumb down, but you don't really have to aim it. Anyone robbing you is going to be RIGHT in front of you, so if you wanted, you could even take the shot through the counter to kneecap the guy before he even has a chance to see the thing. At those ranges, an open choke would be ideal, allowing for maximum spread.

Wouldn't a rifled barrel equal instant spread?

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
Alternate, .410 .45, rinse repeat.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
I honestly don't know what would happen if you put a shot shell through a rifled slug barrel.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:26 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
I honestly don't know what would happen if you put a shot shell through a rifled slug barrel.

The Judge's barrel is partially rifled, maybe a full length barrel like that of a shotgun would create too much force and make it kB but for a short little spin it's fine.

... idea.
Partially rifled shotgun barrel?
neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
The pellets spread into an 'O' shape, which isn't terrible, but doesn't give the even coverage you want, and cuts range, increases spread, and doesn't hit the middle

Why do they use a shotgun or a magnum?

It's ******** scary to look down the business end of one.  

Dreams of Leviathan

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
The pellets spread into an 'O' shape, which isn't terrible, but doesn't give the even coverage you want, and cuts range, increases spread, and doesn't hit the middle

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hair is silly, and his suit is silly, but that's a 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum... blued and checkered Walnut grips.
That is scary, Eastwood in that suit with that hair and that very 70's pose makes me laugh.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 pm
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

I don't think rifling would mess with it much since shotgun shells have SHOT CUPS that hold the shot till it's out of the barrel. This keeps leading down and reduces wear on the barrel.

As a note. a .410 snake load is still a SNAKE LOAD. It is NOT MEANT FOR HUMANS, and SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR SO. I'll send you some cookies in prison if you do. BUCKSHOT is an ideal load or SLUGS. NOT bird or snake shot.

And damnit people, there ARE NO FIREARMS CALLED MAGNUMS. It's a type of caliber that's supposedly loaded hot or more powerfully.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 pm
uryu ishida
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

I don't think rifling would mess with it much since shotgun shells have SHOT CUPS that hold the shot till it's out of the barrel. This keeps leading down and reduces wear on the barrel.

As a note. a .410 snake load is still a SNAKE LOAD. It is NOT MEANT FOR HUMANS, and SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR SO. I'll send you some cookies in prison if you do. BUCKSHOT is an ideal load or SLUGS. NOT bird or snake shot.

And damnit people, there ARE NO FIREARMS CALLED MAGNUMS. It's a type of caliber that's supposedly loaded hot or more powerfully.

So... birdshot and snake shot against a human = jail time?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 pm
uryu ishida
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

Who mentioned snake shot? The Judge takes a full 2.75" .410 shot shell.

Quote:
It could be argued that a firearm capable of firing a 'magnum' load, such as a .44, .357, .22WMR, or shotgun with a 3" chamber, could be considered a 'magnum' firearm.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

Who mentioned snake shot? The Judge takes a full 2.75" .410 shot shell.

Quote:
It could be argued that a firearm capable of firing a 'magnum' load, such as a .44, .357, .22WMR, or shotgun with a 3" chamber, could be considered a 'magnum' firearm.
WHen people mention the Judge in .410, they are commonly talking about snake loads, which is a BIG legal no-no if done on purpose. Buckshot in .410 is not carried in many places, simply because of the properties of the round, being fairly diminutive compared to other shotguns and lacking capacity inside the shells.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff