Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
XM8 vs. HK416

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which rifle do you support replacing the M16/M4?
  HK416
  XM8
  Don't replace them!
  <.< >.> I have no idea what you're talking about
View Results

Sidal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 pm
I figure I'd try an open dialogue on the two, seeing as both are competing to replace the M16/M4 platform. Any thoughts?

Figure I'll throw mine in and say I'm all for the HK416, seeing as it's a drop-in system for the current platform. Why build a new rifle when you can improve on an already familiar design?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:45 pm
Neither. If it were going to be a piston AR< there are SEVERAL other AMERICAN companies who make them at just the same, or even superior levels of quality, for about half the price.

The XM8 would require the US Military to ALSO re-purchase all their accessories, but only from HundK, as the rail system fits no accessories known to man.

I'm all for another 7.62x51mmNATO battle rifle.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:53 pm
uryu ishida
Neither. If it were going to be a piston AR< there are SEVERAL other AMERICAN companies who make them at just the same, or even superior levels of quality, for about half the price.

The XM8 would require the US Military to ALSO re-purchase all their accessories, but only from HundK, as the rail system fits no accessories known to man.

I'm all for another 7.62x51mmNATO battle rifle.

Don't the G36s use Picatinny rails?

wink  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 pm
What about the Bushmaster ACR (aka Magpul Masada)? i thought they were the next in line

I support that one... free floating barrel, its modular, can chamber both 5.56 and 7.62... id aim for that  

Anima_Raptor

Krilliad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 am
Anima_Raptor
What about the Bushmaster ACR (aka Magpul Masada)? i thought they were the next in line

I support that one... free floating barrel, its modular, can chamber both 5.56 and 7.62... id aim for that

+1 it can also be converted for various needs.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 am
WTB:
18" with folding stock. biggrin  

OberFeldwebel

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm
I'd go with the HK416, because the M16/M4 accessories (like the SOPMOD) are compatible. That, and Delta Force collaborated with H&K to make it.

And they don't actually have to buy the whole rifle. They can just buy the upper receiver and slap it on an AR-15/M16/M4 lower receiver.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:16 pm
Requiem6661
I'd go with the HK416, because the M16/M4 accessories (like the SOPMOD) are compatible. That, and Delta Force collaborated with H&K to make it.

And they don't actually have to buy the whole rifle. They can just buy the upper receiver and slap it on an AR-15/M16/M4 lower receiver.

More like they're too lazy to buy the whole rifle... we've been stuck on the AR for 50 years and its because the US is too cheap to put the thing to pasture and enter the 21st century. I say quit pouring funds into other countries as "Military Advisers" and give the grunts who put their lives on the line every day a rifle they can count on.

Wow... sorry for the rant. Just in a bad mood today...  

Anima_Raptor

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm
The XM8 program is dead. It has been for at least a year  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm
I would have to say the XM8. Yeah, yeah, yeah... poor battery life ladie-dah... But, the XM8 has the reliability of the AK, comes with backup sights, and batteries can be replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiuCdh6F2o8&feature=channel_page  

Freak_090
Captain

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas