Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Circle Casting - do you or don't you? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:44 am
While I wouldn't ever think of doing a ritual with out one, I know that there are many paths out there that don't use them, or who only use them in certain cases. So how many of us cast circles on a regular basis?

For those who do use them, what techniques to you use to cast them? Do you just do a circle, or do you actually make more of a sphere like shape (as above...so below)?

For those who do not use circles (or at least not that often) are there other things that you do in your practice that are similar in purpose? Or is it just something that is completely irrelevant to your path?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:02 pm
When I do anything symbolic, it's usually spontanous and on the small scale (like lighting a candle to invite fire elementals to spark my enthusiasm and creativity). So I generally don't need a circle.  

AiRune

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 pm
In the pathway I am currently studying, Asatru, the Hammer Right serves a similar purpose. The space is hallowed by tracing Thor's Hammer in each direction around the ritual area.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:31 pm
I cast a circle for just about every ritual or magickal working. I draw out the circle shape then invoke the pentacle above and have it drape down like a cloth on a balloon. I also invoke the pentacle on the floor within the circle to protect the region below.  

Kyreie

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 am
Um, I was under the impression that ALL Circles were spheres or half-spheres. neutral Did I misread something?

The Hammer Rite isn't actually similar to casting a Circle. Some people to trace a Hammer in the four directions, but having a relation to the four directions or creating hallowed space doesn't mean the Hammer Rite amounts to the same thing. A Circle is a contained space, one you can't enter or exit at will. It's protection as well as the creation of sacred space, and it contains any energy raised. The purpose of casting one is different. The Hammer Rite can be elaborate but is often extremely simple and just involves tracing a hammer or holding a hammer and asking that the might of Mjolnir hallow the space. It doesn't contain anything, people can enter and leave at will, it's not a thing in its own right like a Circle so while Thor might bless the ritual and protect those in attendance, the Hammer Rite itself provides no solid protection. That's my understanding of it anyway.

I cast a circle for only the occasional spell. Most of my spells are of the witchcraft variety rather than the ceremonial variety, but if I'm feeling a bit tense or tired or frustrated, and my concentration is a bit iffy, I will cast a circle, to help my mind focus a bit and to keep the energy where I want it. I haven't cast one in years. I'd use them in Tvaan ritual, because they're an essential element of Tvaan ritual, but I'm not entirely sure about what elements of Tvaan I want to use and what I do not at present - and indeed what the gods want and what they do not. In Norse ritual, of course, I do not cast a circle.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:03 pm
Sanguina-chan
Um, I was under the impression that ALL Circles were spheres or half-spheres. neutral Did I misread something?

No...you're good. I was looking to see a bit of discussion on if people just did a circle when they are casting (in effect making a cylinder around them if you extend the circumference straight up and down), or if they actually close in "above" and "below" to make a full sphere around them.

When I cast a circle, I tend to cast it 3 times. I set the boundaries, purify it and then consecrate it. I also close mine completely around me, so that it is a sphere.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:54 pm
Nope, I don't cast circles. I don't do the Hammer Rite either.
I can understand hallowing an area, don't get me wrong. But keeping things in and other things out...just doesn't really apply in Asatru.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 pm
I do a circle casting for formal ceremonies and rituals, and when I'm astral traveling/pathworking, but when I'm just doing a spontaneous spell or meditation I don't usually cast a circle. Casting a circle and opening a circle just takes so much time =_=  

Tari_Leralonde

Starlock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:25 pm
Sometimes I feel like the actual functions of casting a circle is overlooked. I always do something which serves the function of casting a circle, but I don't always cast a Wiccan-esque circle. If that makes any sense. The main key for me is creating an appropriate mindset for whatever I'm going to be doing which mostly constitutes bringing the intrinsic sacredness of all things to the forefront of my awareness in some way. Casting a circle is one way of conjuring sacred space. So is mindful meditation. So is looking outside the windows behind my altar and marveling at the beauty of the landscape.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm
Ultraviolett1127
Nope, I don't cast circles. I don't do the Hammer Rite either.
I can understand hallowing an area, don't get me wrong. But keeping things in and other things out...just doesn't really apply in Asatru.

True. 3nodding
For me the Hammer Rite helps me get in the mindset.  

RubyLight

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 pm
I follow no particular pagan path at the moment, I mostly take precious peices of other equally beautiful paths. I'm trying my best to find one that fits perfectly, But it'll take time. I know what I believe, I'm just looking for something that believes the same. So forgive me if I confuse you in anyway. eh, now that it's out of the way...

I've done an actual ritual circle once before,.. it was a decent one, I'll tell you that. I felt energized and clean after being inside it for a while after I reversed a wish I had done. So.. I like them. But I've found energy sheilds to work just as well as a circle. Plus, I find it easier then wasting my salt to purify a chalk circle in my room's carpet.

In place of circles, I use stone griding sometimes and a protection/spiritual crystals to aid me. {Much easier to clean up ;] } I've drawn "energy circles" around me at times. However, I rarely ever use a circle unless I'm doing some serious magick that takes alot more then just a well-written rhyme and fantastic visualization. <3

By the way, I really like the sound of the Hammer rite. I will have to use it o 3o If that's alright with any of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:46 pm
When I come to own my own space I'll have a sort of temple room...this will always be protected as if surrounded by Circle. So the need to cast circle will be eliminated.

Until that time I simply draw a protective bubble using visualisation around me and my working area. It's never steered me wrong smile .  

doistu

wiccan of the moon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:37 pm
I'd say only once a month for circles...i spend most of my time trying to learn more. Maybe when i think i've learned enough i'll do more circles.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:02 am
Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. It largely depends on what exactly I'm doing, and how I'm approaching it.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm
at the very least, i always use a circle in rituals, and almost always for spell work and meditation  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games