Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Chainmaille and such...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felt Teeth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 pm
So, it's midnight here and I'm too lazy to put up photos of my old maille here and I'm too tired to upload and resize photos of my new maille to Photobucket. Instead, I'm going to post the link to my deviantART and hope it satisfies you for a few days.

http://feltteeth.deviantart.com/

I've also only got a couple pictures of things I've sewn, but there will be more soon... I hope. A jacket, a halter top, and maybe a quilt block after next weekend.

For those of you who don't know what Chainmaille (or just maille) is: NOT chain letters! Maille is what soldiers of olde used to go to battle in. The little rings all connected into big sheets that were made into shirts and coifs and such... yeah. I make jewelry out of stuff like that. I'm currently working on a halter top out of it for myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm
User Image
These are the Jedi tunics I made for my boyfriend. Incomplete, as he still needs the tabards and a proper belt. For now it's the vest and the jacket thing.

More pictures will go here. Probably of chainmaille. Sewing will be the next post.  

Felt Teeth

Felt Teeth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 pm
User Image

Another placeholder. I made these. They are aluminium and stainless steel earrings in the shaggy loops weave. Personally, I hate them. Then again, I don't like pink.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 pm
I favorited the nerd necklace on your DA account. I had a similar idea myself, and I'm happy to see that it looks good in execution. 3nodding I might get into maille, if only to make jewelry that's a bit more masculine/unisex. What is it about beads that's so girly? gonk  

Katalixa

Felt Teeth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:22 am
They're often very colorful and shiny. Guys don't like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:39 am
I guess? Maybe size has to do with it, too. (6mm round things as opposed to big nuggets or 10 or 15 mm fellows.)  

Katalixa

Supertheory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 pm
TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THOSE!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm
Those? Those whats? Jedi robes? You can get the pattern at any store that sells patterns. I got that one from Wal-Mart.

Chainmaille? There are tutorials all over http://www.mailleartisans.org.  

Felt Teeth

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:25 am
Hey, your are a femailler. I haven't come across one for a while. I have a two friends (who are married, so do I count them in the plural because there are two of them, or in the single because they are married?) who chainmaille. Sweet awsome earings. Unfortunately I am one in three million who is allergic to Chainmaille. I can only wear it for short amounts of time before I rash out.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:16 am
Oh, man! That is terrible! I think I would die if I was allergic to metal.

As for your friends, there are two people, so I'd say it's plural.  

Felt Teeth

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Felt Teeth
Oh, man! That is terrible! I think I would die if I was allergic to metal.

As for your friends, there are two people, so I'd say it's plural.

makes sense. thank you. plz visit my thread and vote!!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 am
sonicrunner001
Hey, your are a femailler. I haven't come across one for a while. I have a two friends (who are married, so do I count them in the plural because there are two of them, or in the single because they are married?) who chainmaille. Sweet awsome earings. Unfortunately I am one in three million who is allergic to Chainmaille. I can only wear it for short amounts of time before I rash out.

It's actually a more common allergy than you think. Do you also break out with cheap jewelry, maybe if your belt buckle sits on your skin too long or if you wear a metal-backed watch?
If so, your allergy is actually to the nickel inside most metals. There is a way to coat chainmaille using a spray-on coating they use in the automotive industry, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.

Felt Teeth-your work is very beautiful.  

Trinity Quinn

Profitable Tycoon

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Signature Look 250

the_pink_ladies

Shy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:02 pm
I love the earrings, they would probably be pretty in blue. Too bad I wouldn't be able to wear them (I let my earring holes close up when I was five...)  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 pm
I've wanted to get into maille ever since I found out my college has a Medieval Society that teaches how to make maille items, but unfortunately they hold meetings on a night of the week I can never seem to attend. I'll definitely be taking a look at that tutorial link you posted earlier in the thread. Thanks!  

Aranka Taine

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff